• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT16| - I'm blacker than you'll ever be

Status
Not open for further replies.

LotusHD

Banned
Where you're from - Maryland
Where you live - Baltimore
What is your age? - 21
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - Don't know the complete specifics, but my parents were both born in Sierra Leone. At the very least I know I'm black af
Do you know your roots - Sorta? Apparently my last name is unique enough that it can be googled. Assuming the info pertaining to it is accurate, it seems that British colonization was a bitch lol
Favorite musical genre - Rap/Hip Hop
Your profession/major/career interest - Screenwriter
Your religious affiliation - Christian
Hobbies - Anime, Video Games, Writing (If I wasn't so lazy anyways)
KFC, Popeye's, Churches, or Bojangles? - Popeyes
Marvel or DC? - Uhh, Marvel won my heart with the MCU, but overall nothing tops Batman and the like, so ultimately I'd have to say DC
Favorite superhero? - Black Panther atm (2 more years -_-)
Anime or Nah? - Anime for sure
Favorite sport and team? - Soccer, don't have a favorite team though
What's your favorite Disney movie? - Lilo & Stitch

LionPride

Banned
Where you're from - Maryland
Where you live - Baltimore
What is your age? - 21
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - Don't know the complete specifics, but my parents were both born in Sierra Leone. At the very least I know I'm black af
Do you know your roots - Sorta? Apparently my last name is unique enough that it can be googled. Assuming the info pertaining to it is accurate, it seems that British colonization was a bitch lol
Favorite musical genre - Rap/Hip Hop
Your profession/major/career interest - Screenwriter
Your religious affiliation - Christian
Hobbies - Anime, Video Games, Writing (If I wasn't so lazy anyways)
KFC, Popeye's, Churches, or Bojangles? - Popeyes
Marvel or DC? - Uhh, Marvel won my heart with the MCU, but overall nothing tops Batman and the like, so ultimately I'd have to say DC
Favorite superhero? - Black Panther atm (2 more years -_-)
Anime or Nah? - Anime for sure
Favorite sport and team? - Soccer, don't have a favorite team though
What's your favorite Disney movie? - Lilo & Stitch

Baltimore....ew

I kid I kid

Not really

Anyways, WELCOME!

Bubba T

I'm not exaggerating, it's the same UI, same perks, same everything. They literally just took BO3's gameplay and called it a day.

lmao

They ran Guitar Hero to the ground, it is only a matter of time before it happens to COD. I've personally had the fatigue after Black Ops 2. Haven't bought a COD game since.

wasn't his ex gf a Nazi sympathizer?

Sure was, that's why I can't just take SSeth of my shit list just yet, but he's making a good start. More than likely it's him constantly hanging with Kofi, E, and Xavier backstage and on the road that's waking him. But one tweet can't erase all the mjpls shit he's done in the past, I still remember the curb stomp on Big E during MLK Day :mad:

LotusHD

Banned
Baltimore....ew

I kid I kid

Not really

Anyways, WELCOME!

Haha, thanks. Been lurking for awhile, figured I might as well do this already.

As for me living in Baltimore, if it possibly helps you feel better, I certainly won't be living here forever lol

Bubba T

I got an email from my school's graduation office confirming that I qualify to graduate with honors. Just gotta not fuck up this semester and I'm good.

LionPride

Banned
If you ask me he's the problem this year, OBJ antics aside.

Nonetheless you're still good in my book.

Oh he is definitely why yall are struggling. Your defense is good, besides the whole not getting sacks thing, but good. Eli though? Woof? At least he isn't as bad as Rodgers, Brian Hoyer is statistically playing better than Aaron. Let that sink in

Bubba T

I gave up on being an honors student after HS. Times were so much easier and simpler back then...but good job!

It was opposite for me. I never really put in the effort in high school and most of community college. I decided when I got into my university I was going to go for it. It's hard as fuck (the GPA requirements are high as fuck) but I actually am close to achieving it. I have a job lined up too, so it's worked out.

100%
giphy.gif

How do you even have respect for yourself as a black man to pull that kinda stuff, I dont know.

Dai101

Banned
Baltimore....ew

I kid I kid

Not really

Anyways, WELCOME!

Oh, oh, oh woke up today feeling
the way I always do
Oh, oh, oh hungry for something that I can't eat
Then I hear that beat

The rhythm of town starts calling me down
It's like a message from high above
Oh, oh, oh pulling me out to the smiles and the
Streets that I love

Good morning Baltimore
Every day's like an open door
Every night is a fantasy
Every sound's like a symphony

Good morning Baltimore
And some day when I take to the floor
The world's gonna wake up and see
Baltimore and me

Oh, oh, oh look at my hair
What do can compare with mine today?
Oh, oh, oh I've got my hairspray and radio
I'm ready to go

The rats on the street all dance round my feet
They seem to say, "Tracy, it's up to you
So, oh, oh don't hold me back
'Cause today all my dreams will come true

Good morning Baltimore
There's the flasher who lives next door
There's the bum on his bar room stool
They wish me luck on my way to school

Good morning Baltimore
Baltimore and me

I know every step, I know every song
I know there's a place where I belong
I see all those party lights shining ahead
So someone invite me before I drop dead

So, oh, oh give me a chance
'Cause when I start to dance I'm a movie star
Oh, oh, oh something inside of me makes me move
When I hear the groove

My mom tells me no but my feet tell me go
It's like a drummer inside my heart
So, oh, oh don't make me wait
One more moment for my life to start

I love you Baltimore
Every night is a fantasy

And I promise Baltimore
That some day when I take to the floor
Gonna wake up and see Baltimore and me

(Yes, more or less we all agree)
Baltimore and me!
(Someday the world is gonna see)
Baltimore and me!

LionPride

Banned

Oh, oh, oh woke up today feeling
the way I always do
Oh, oh, oh hungry for something that I can't eat
Then I hear that beat

The rhythm of town starts calling me down
It's like a message from high above
Oh, oh, oh pulling me out to the smiles and the
Streets that I love

Good morning Baltimore
Every night is a fantasy

Good morning Baltimore
Baltimore and me

Oh, oh, oh look at my hair
What do can compare with mine today?
Oh, oh, oh I've got my hairspray and radio
I'm ready to go

The rats on the street all dance round my feet
They seem to say, "Tracy, it's up to you
So, oh, oh don't hold me back
'Cause today all my dreams will come true

Good morning Baltimore
There's the flasher who lives next door
There's the bum on his bar room stool
They wish me luck on my way to school

Good morning Baltimore
Baltimore and me

I know every step, I know every song
I know there's a place where I belong
I see all those party lights shining ahead
So someone invite me before I drop dead

So, oh, oh give me a chance
'Cause when I start to dance I'm a movie star
Oh, oh, oh something inside of me makes me move
When I hear the groove

My mom tells me no but my feet tell me go
It's like a drummer inside my heart
So, oh, oh don't make me wait
One more moment for my life to start

I love you Baltimore
Every night is a fantasy

And I promise Baltimore
That some day when I take to the floor
Gonna wake up and see Baltimore and me

(Yes, more or less we all agree)
Baltimore and me!
(Someday the world is gonna see)
Baltimore and me!

I actually like Hairspray

I want to like atlanta but im not feeling it and I dont like secure either but I watch it to support

I just feel like black shows are not as good as they use to be

Kreed

I want to like atlanta but im not feeling it and I dont like secure either but I watch it to support

Thankfully we actually have more than one or two options at a time in 2016 vs back when ever "use to be" was, so I'm sure you can find black show you can support that you enjoy more, whether it's shows with mostly black casts like Luke Cage, Queen Sugar, or the Get Down or shows starring black people like Power or Scandal. Of the top of my head I know I've watched at least 15 currently running shows starring black people this year, and none of them were on BET. A big step up from watching shows with one black cast member at a time that would get eaten by a zombie as soon as another black person showed up.

Thankfully we actually have more than one or two options at a time in 2016 vs back when ever "use to be" was, so I'm sure you can find black show you can support that you enjoy more, whether it's shows with mostly black casts like Luke Cage, Queen Sugar, or the Get Down or shows starring black people like Power or Scandal. Of the top of my head I know I've watched at least 15 currently running shows starring black people this year, and none of them were on BET. A big step up from watching shows with one black cast member at a time that would get eaten by a zombie as soon as another black person showed up.

I dont have netflix and I have checked out power its a good mix of a black and white cast I liked it

I meant like martin , fresh prince, living single, family matters where the majority of the cast is black with very few if any caucasians. Last black show I liked was dave chappelles show and my wife and kids .

I tried Oprahs network but to me its just black soap operas . Good shows just not for me , but my fam and some classmates love the have and have nots and this new show they got now about corrupt black preachers

I was researching some historical data about lynching & I was surprised to find, contrary to common perceptions, a significant number of anti-Black lynchings had nothing to do with the Black person being believed to have even committed a crime, the lynching was economic terrorism directed at Black business owners that were out-competing against a White owned business.
Im glad I found that out, because it helps clear up the confusion I had regarding White supremacists who insist that we're lazy & should work harder to get ahead, but go on full alert mode when they hear anything about Black economics or "do for self" initiatives.
Separate & equal is fundamentally intolerable to White supremacists, the segregation is only half the slice of the pie, they want Black subjugation & successful Black economies go against that.

This is the core moral difference between the Black militants who opposed social integration & White American fascists who also opposed it: Marcus Garvey & others like him actually believed in separate but equal, while the White supremacists will say "separate but equal" but what they really mean is "separate & lesser than" & have a long historical pattern of enforcing that with either terrorist violence or institutional discrimination.

I loved HP as a kid, and at first Fantastic Beasts looked like dookie, but these recent promos and trailers got someone feeling a tad bit hype

Still ain't feeling Rogue One yet

I'm honestly not expecting R1 to be much, though I will watch it for the Giacchino score and JEJ reprising Vader for what is likely the final time.

Haven't seen Insecure yet, but Atlanta is definitely one of those shows that might be off-putting for some given that it revels in its bleak weirdness.

Also, finally listened to the OST to The Banner Saga 2. Probably one of the few times were the soundtrack to the sequel is much better than the original (though, in terms of Wintory's output this year, I prefer Abzû, though both are great).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom