• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT17| - Thanks, Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

Saw a video with an old white dude wearing this shirt

white-solidarity-with-black-power-1.jpg

How is Cuba towards African-American?

You'll be fine..mostly black folks left over there anyway. Majority of the white ones left to live some 90+ miles away.
Does that include mestizos?

That's what I heard. most of the racist ones left for America, or they learned to keep quiet because Castro outlawed racism. But there are still concentrations of dark, light, and white skinned people in Cuba, and they stratify for the reasons we're pretty familiar with. So racism isn't legal, but it still exists. Generally trumped by classism and social connections of who you are with, where you are from.

and african culture is woven througout Cuba in a weird way, so that it is actually a source of culture for south and central americas, in terms of the african diaspora.
Oh yeah from watching a lot of Celia I know some stuff about the spirits in there. I think its Yoruba since I recognized a couple of the names like Obatala. Las espiritus.
With the racism thing. I sure did see it from the show but not as much as I expected given the time period from the first arc. I saw a colored section on a train and some bigots treating ol girl differently because she was black and calling her feo all the time.

2E19vyC.png

AwjJhkg.png

The barbudos were extremely homophobic as well.
It was glorious to see karma come back on this shitbag.

Good stuff. I'm looking at a grad program that can send me to Cuba for a bit but I wasn't trying to set myself up.

My sister just came back from an academic trip to Cuba and is obsessed now, lol. Trying to go back.

Hell, I wanna go too, now. Learn Spanish though, and don't be surprised at how much African spirituality goes on down there. They seem to really enjoy black folks from America, want to forge connections with folk up here for future change.

Hizo vio un Babalawo?

Is it okay to travel there now? I know before they had bans from keeping people coming in or leaving.

I might actually switch back to my celia pick. It fits since that's black history too. Sounds like she invented salsa, but I just put on this Michelle one not that long ago.

On the one hand, as a gay dude it's hard for me to reconcile my personal life and beliefs with such a virulently evil company.

On the other, that spicy chicken sandwich is god tier.

Conflicted emotions when I eat there.
I see we got defense forces for abusive men as well now. I guess if they dead, someone needs to defend them?
Straight staggered at that one. And people say this is an echo chamber. Nah the fucked up people just hide.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I've really never been. Wanted to. Never have.

----

http://www.mommyish.com/2013/07/31/parents-hate-caillou/

THEE FUCK YOU DID.
I don't have a problem with FANS. Love what you love. Personally, I love loving things. I want everything to be awesome and good. But fanDOM is a collective of weaponized idiocy. Whenever a fictional creation is of more import than a real person (as is the case with fandom far to frequently; see also Bronies and Homestuck) then you can go fuck yourself with a molten dildo. Fans = great. Fandom = fuck off.
what you drinking tonight?

LMAO..I'm so sorry, brother. You start doing one thing and next thing you know you're hitting every other thing that needed doing. Bout to make these mashed taters for these rib eye I'm looking at..seems I want death by steak this weekend 😂

Hope the lady pops you one when you burn the roast 😂

akira28

re mashed potatoes, you might be surprised at how well the waxy yukon gold potatoes do in a mash instead of the standard starchy fluffy russet potato. add some cheese and chives and cream cheese, maybe some crushed bacon, and you have a nice lazy aligot-style mashed potato

cinco

Just got out of a showing of I Am Not Your Negro here in Houston. Do yourselves a favor and find whatever shitty indie theatre they've hid it in your city and watch it.

akira28

Azelia is a fool, and if she's lucky she's only just acting foolish and probably abusing animals.

edit: I've actually come to have a new found respect for traditional African faiths. and it helps a lot to see it in the lens of other faiths instead of viewing it through the Western lens of alien native savage magic. Once you start comparative faith study you start getting that all religions are weird as fuck, with some adherents tending to go over the deep end, and others being able to stay within the relative mainstream of "normalcy".

you got people like Ms. Banks who is probably messing around with something about which she has no idea, and then you have people who go to church every Sunday except its an African church and they beat drums instead of having a choir, and they sing to Ifa and Obatala instead of Yahweh, El, and Yeshua.

Incidentally I call Ms Banks a fool, because the one she's pointing her actions towards is not...just makes me facepalm really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom