• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT17| - Thanks, Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are horrible. One week brehs

image.php

oh shit it's Macy Grey with pork chop sideburns!

akira28

not only that, their neighbors sling racial slurs at them. and someone reported the graffiti to the city as an eyesore. So the authorities ignore them, but rush to fine them for appearances.

I learned the hard way, she can't have enough privilege for both of them. either get a lawyer or get out.

Beefy

Fucking Candice Wiggins in this straight persecution bullshit "me being heterosexual and straight (???) and being vocal in my identity as a straight woman was huge. I would say 98% of the women in the WNBA are gay women. It was conformist type place"

also from ESPNW
Transgender wrestler wins Texas HS regional title by forfeit

win b/c the other person hates you as a human. also be force to compete against the wrong gender b/c of old rules

Disgusting..

Interracial couple has nigger graffiti'd on their garage. Not the first time. So they leave it. The city decides to fine them.

Man the US is such a racist country. I always thought the UK was bad until I joined Gaf and read about the US more.

Malyse

Honour and shame, homie. Honour and shame.

That's a class A breakdown.

I mean, is something being objectively good really that foreign a concept? Are people really not able to separate their personal feelings from a value judgment? I don't like horror at all, but I can still tell that Resident Evil 4 is a good game.

But I'm guessing this has more to do with the concept of defining your self worth by the things you like and identify with than anything else (which in turn is why people get so invested in Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes scores)

Beefy

I mean, is something being objectively good really that foreign a concept? Are people really not able to separate their personal feelings from a value judgment? I don't like horror at all, but I can still tell that Resident Evil 4 is a good game.

But I'm guessing this has more to do with the concept of defining your self worth by the things you like and identify with than anything else (which in turn is why people get so invested in Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes scores)

Some people get crazy attached to shit and have to defend it from others opinions. Forgetting that other peoples opinions are exactly that. Long as the dude likes the game or whatever it shouldn't matter what randoms think.

Some people get crazy attached to shit and have to defend it from others opinions. Forgetting that other peoples opinions are exactly that. Long as the dude likes the game or whatever it shouldn't matter what randoms think.

I should do well to remember this so I don't pop off when someone says something negative about a game I like. To be honest I have a few negative opinions about games other people probably like. Like Tales of the Abyss has the worst main character ever. That dude was a prick.

Malyse

It's just amazing that people are coming at me over Kingdom Hearts story. I mean, ME! But okay, whateves. That's totes a hill to die on.
I should do well to remember this so I don't pop off when someone says something negative about a game I like. To be honest I have a few negative opinions about games other people probably like. Like Tales of the Abyss has the worst main character ever. That dude was a prick.

Not if you finish it. He has a pretty good character arc.

Tales is just a deconstruction of Final Fantasy tropes though. Luke was just Tidus remix.

Morning BCT. Hopefully I can play for honor with my bro today without both of us descending into salty trash fires. I really appreciate that they let you make all your characters black.

Beefy

It's just amazing that people are coming at me over Kingdom Hearts story. I mean, ME! But okay, whateves. That's totes a hill to die on.

Not if you finish it. He has a pretty good character arc.

Tales is just a deconstruction of Final Fantasy tropes though. Luke was just Tidus remix.

I use to argue with people about mine and their opinions on games and films etc. But one day thought what was the point? Long as their opinion doesn't effect other people etc (racism, bigotry and that shit) then I don't really care any more. Long as I enjoy what I am doing then all is good.

Johndoey

Banned

But nothing is objectively good. I understand and agree with your point of being able to seperate out your personal feelings to at least be able to understand why a product is well regarded, but nothing is objectively good.

LotusHD

Banned
People get real touchy about their games.

Nowadays I try to stick to only saying if they spreading falsehoods about a game I like. You know, something that I can easily say "Yo that's not true". But even then, I normally get exhausted far too quickly to ever go in deep in terms arguing about a game, show, etc.

Malyse

But nothing is objectively good. I understand and agree with your point of being able to seperate out your personal feelings to at least be able to understand why a product is well regarded, but nothing is objectively good.

That's an asinine thing to say and shows a lack of ability to make value judgments of any worth. If I shit on a plate and tell you it's delicious chocolate, do you need to taste it to know the truth? "I don't like this, so it is bad" is completely fallacious logic.

Sch1sm

Considering how gaming side works in its very Sony v. Microsoft v. Nintendo way, hive minds and all, that's mostly a yes. It's in the same way people can dismiss exclusives of a console they don't have, or a game just because it's "too hyped."

You're probably right there.

This why you've got the most trash taste of BCT.

Johndoey

Banned
That's an asinine thing to say and shows a lack of ability to make value judgments of any worth. If I shit on a plate and tell you it's delicious chocolate, do you need to taste it to know the truth? "I don't like this, so it is bad" is completely fallacious logic.
What does your example have to do with objectivity? I agreed with with your larger point of being able to critically analyze what works and doesn't work with a product, but I disagree that anything can be objectively good or objectively bad.

I hate Life is Strange but I can look at it and say well the voice acting is fantastic or the soundtrack pairs well with the game, these aren't aren't objective statements. I think the vast majority of people who played or otherwise experienced the game would agree with me, but it's not objective.

Malyse

What does your example have to do with objectivity? I agreed with with your larger point of being able to critically analyze what works and doesn't work with a product, but I disagree that anything can be objectively good or objectively bad.

This why you've got the most trash taste of BCT.

The fact that you can't tell means that your opinion on virtually any and everything is completely worthless. Your taste isn't refined enough to be of any value.

A5oAGx6.gif

Sch1sm

I'm starting to think he means that you can't say anything about a game without it being influenced by personal feelings.

But then you're really nitpicking, because we're talking on an overall. You can dislike something as a whole, but in looking at it you can find something that's good within it despite your feelings there.

---

Y'all smh

Malyse

I'm starting to think he means that you can't say anything about a game without it being influenced by personal feelings.

But then you're really nitpicking, because we're talking on an overall. You can dislike something as a whole, but in looking at it you can find something that's good within it despite your feelings there.

---

Y'all smh

To which I respond: if you can't tell the difference between "I don't like this because I don't like this type of thing" and "I don't like this because it's bad", then what use is your opinion to anyone but yourself?

Johndoey

Banned

---

Y'all smh
Re-read both my posts tho. I very clearly (at least to me) agree with this sentiment. I only disagree with the use of "objectively good".

Sch1sm

Re-read both my posts tho. I very clearly (at least to me) agree with this sentiment. I only disagree with the use of "objectively good".

I hate Life is Strange but I can look at it and say well the voice acting is fantastic or the soundtrack pairs well with the game, these aren't aren't objective statements. I think the vast majority of people who played or otherwise experienced the game would agree with me, but it's not objective.

I'm not really seeing how you said this specifically since I mean it as objective good and not subjective, but I guess I wasn't very clear:

myself said:
You can dislike something as a whole, but in looking at it you can find something that's good within it despite your feelings there.

Sure, I said you can separate personal feelings, but the latter point in mine is literally that in disliking something, you can find something objectively good within it, not that you can find something good on a subjective level necessarily.

Essentially, you can hate a Kanye track but you cannot deny that his production is phenomenal. Objectively good.

E: I'm saying it's not about just finding something I can like in that thing, but something within it that is genuinely good no matter my feelings on the whole product.

Malyse

I just realized that there was one BOTW spoiler that I wanted to confirm to set my expectations.

no female Link, no playable Zelda

I actually would want to know that since it impacts my schedule for buying the game. If either were true it bumps to a Day One release, but now it's a "when I get to it" and deffo the Switch version instead of the Wii U. I have like a thousand games in my backlog, so it can wait. Especially since it's one of those massive open world titles.

Johndoey

Banned
I'm not really seeing how you said this specifically since I mean it as objective good and not subjective, but I guess I wasn't very clear:

Sure, I said you can separate personal feelings, but the latter point in mine is literally that in disliking something, you can find something objectively good within it, not that you can find something good on a subjective level necessarily.

Essentially, you can hate a Kanye track but you cannot deny that his production is phenomenal. Objectively good.

E: I'm saying it's not about just finding something I can like in that thing, but something within it that is genuinely good no matter my feelings on the whole product.
Okay fair. I just don't believe in any concept of objective quality when it comes to media.

I just realized that there was one BOTW spoiler that I wanted to confirm to set my expectations.

I actually would want to know that since it impacts my schedule for buying the game. If either were true it bumps to a Day One release, but now it's a "when I get to it" and deffo the Switch version instead of the Wii U. I have like a thousand games in my backlog, so it can wait. Especially since it's one of those massive open world titles.

Wasn't this indirectly confirmed because of the controversy awhile ago?

Malyse

Too progressive.

No lies detected.

Seriously though, what the fuck is up with Nintendo? It's hard to believe that "tan my skin so I can be black" Animal Crossing came from the same company as "we've got so much diversity in this game we'll take on anyone" Pokemon and "we can't make Zelda playable because what would Link do?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom