• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT17| - Thanks, Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sch1sm

dead2.gif

Zekes!

I just finished the Yu Yu Hakusho manga. It was pretty great, though I would still rank Dragon Ball over it (manga vs manga).

zeemumu

Oh god that movie is so fucked up. *shudders* I was thinking about it all during the audition scenes in LLL.

Yeah I think that movie's the worst-case scenario gone off the deep end.

E0ZPRsE.gif

Everyone in there thinks that Denzel's face is because he's salty about not winning but I think he's holding back tears about Fences.

D i Z

Disagree. She's got too billing in the play and her role is as a main character. Troy is the vehicle through which it runs but she's JUST as important a character.

Ok. I won't dispute what you've laid out. How do we determine how that role gets categorized between stage and film? I did a quick search, but I don't see how it's made clear in anyway. The loopholes are crazy, but what do we get to hold onto that doesn't change on whim?

The film was promoted as one main character. And supports.

Let's keep things 100. That roles was supporting, not lead. It was written that way.

Nah, nah, nah. She was in it just as much as Denzel. I gotta call bullshit because Michael Shannon was up for Best Supporting Actor and he was in the movie for 5 minutes. He's great and an amazing actor and did a good job. Viola Davis is the lead actor in Fences. Her and Denzel are co-leads. She's not a supporting actor or actress, however you want to phrase it, she's the lead actor in the movie. The reason she was up for supporting was game plan. There's no way she was going to win against all these other people so let's put her in the supporting actress role and it's cheating all the other actresses who were supporting in those films. I think it's a dirty deed, but does she deserve an Oscar? Hell yes! If she was nominated for lead actress, she should've gotten it even over Emma Stone.

D i Z

Nah, nah, nah. She was in it just as much as Denzel. I gotta call bullshit because Michael Shannon was up for Best Supporting Actor and he was in the movie for 5 minutes. He's great and an amazing actor and did a good job. Viola Davis is the lead actor in Fences. Her and Denzel are co-leads. She's not a supporting actor or actress, however you want to phrase it, she's the lead actor in the movie. The reason she was up for supporting was game plan. There's no way she was going to win against all these other people so let's put her in the supporting actress role and it's cheating all the other actresses who were supporting in those films. I think it's a dirty deed, but does she deserve an Oscar? Hell yes! If she was nominated for lead actress, she should've gotten it even over Emma Stone.

Ok. Show me if you would the casting list for the film that puts it into perspective. Show me the promotion that had her as a lead. I'm not saying that she shouldn't have been there for it. I'm saying that what you want, and what is reality are two different things.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Sup yall.

Saw Get Out.

Holy. Crap.

You need to see this shit. His layers on casual racism is just sublime. I'm going to be thinking about it for the next few days. It has Sixth Sense levels of stuff I'm catching after I saw it.

LotusHD

Banned
I thought somethin was up when dude said "We lost btw" but I didn't think it was THAT

Well...

FOR THE MOTHERFUCKIN CULTURE

I'm so fucking happy, I had little to no faith it would win. For it to not only win, but to win through a Steve Harvey mishap, is giving me life right now lmao

Sup yall.

Saw Get Out.

Holy. Crap.

You need to see this shit. His layers on casual racism is just sublime. I'm going to be thinking about it for the next few days. It has Sixth Sense levels of stuff I'm catching after I saw it.

Saw it tonight as well. Shit was great, totally deserves that 100% rating

Uhhhhhhhhhhh
Can someone explain?

La La Land presumably won. But nah, they fucked in a Steve Harvey esque manner. Moonlight was the actual winner, they fucked up somehow.

What do you got to say now, LionPride!? WHAT DO YOU GOT TO SAY NOW!? I didn't get the win I wanted, but I got to see LLL add another L to it's title! WAHOO!

D i Z

You all are comfortable with that fuckery? Like, they gave something up, but made a point to make it as suspect as humanly possible? I said earlier that the attention that was being paid to black actresses was unusual in the pre-show. They went Superbowl on this one. I have to keep reminding myself what America we live in.

JSevere

I hope the Academy knows they damn near gave the entire black community a heart attack by saying that La La Land won and revealing it was a bait-and-switch

shit had me on the edge of my seat

I feel renewed! I could sing and dance right now, and I'd do it better than Gosling too!

[starts dancing like Sam Rockwell]

tumblr_mpu4fpvXJI1qhub34o1_400.gif

CITY OF L'S SHINING JUST FOR ME. CITY OF L'S TAKING THAT L.

Ok. Show me if you would the casting list for the film that puts it into perspective. Show me the promotion that had her as a lead. I'm not saying that she shouldn't have been there for it. I'm saying that what you want, and what is reality are two different things.

There's plenty posters and articles what not that puts her as an equal. She is literally the leading actress in the film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom