• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT17| - Thanks, Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Young Magus

Is it wierd/funny that I knew that Colin dude wasn't shit even since:

1.) I saw the fuckin "don't trend on me" flag on his twitter or
2.) The first thread I saw of him on GAF in where he was talk on some dumb shit bout the vita?

No prob. I was more of a 1up show person. I remember the huge amount of production they put into it and to make the actual roundtables interesting.

Not too many things have that production value these days.

EDIT: Oh yeah this theme was the best. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TfK1tUrGJ4

Totally.. I loved all the series EGM Live, Rebel FM, GFW (which I listened to despite having a computer that couldn't play shit), 1 Up Yours, Broken Pixels, fuck I hate that they're gone...

Like I truly believe they were the best of the best.

akira28

Honestly it's why I still feel kind of ashamed and stuff when I get the eye when people see my games on my shelf.

It's so toxic and childish that I don't think it will ever divorce itself from being "oh yeah that kids thing"

it will. wait for the vr tech to improve. vr experience rooms which are basically big games. and then of course home tech will improve too. "Gamers" and the whole monetization and exploitation of the video game playing population haven't done the industry any favors as a whole. Kind of like our society's capitalist opinion towards anything. Make the money now, any way you can. And if the planet doesn't survive, figure something out.

but game playing will stay. the hyperactive game media money culture might not. it may, and probably should burn out because it's not sustainable at current levels. after youtube/twitch, I don't see another big new thing coming. They're already pushing like hell to try to make esports happen.

Slayven

It is utterly fascinating to me how the validity of the so called critic consensus largely varies on the topic at hand: See Zelda vs Ghostbusters vs Gone Home...
People people put too much stock in critics, they are not some anointed demi gods, they are just people that voice their opinions
TB's been an asshole since at least early gamergate
Only heard about him after he tried to be cute with the GG stuff
Once I saw Godhand got a 3 from IGN and I played it and realized its a fun ass game,

I completely stopped giving a fuuuuuuuuckkkkk about review scores.

Whats the point, Im gonna play what I want anyway.
Godhand is a terrible game

Shy

Video games wanna be movies so bad but they are basically stuck in the late 50'a era of film making.
Nah, games are still in the train coming into the station phase. Or if i'm being generous, silent film phase.
It's pretty bad. Movie critics are light-years beyond any game critic I've ever seen aside from like, two.

I've never felt like this was a community. People calling me horrible heinous shit over counter strike because I didn't cap the bomb in time? The Advent of voice chat just made it so they could tell you themselves that you're a faggot nigger kike.

This has never been a community. If it is, it's the most toxic one around.
Agreed on both counts.
Thanks i will...

I did get to meet all the 1UP guys once at PAX (minus the Retronauts screw sadly as I had to pick between them or Wil Wheaton and Wesley Crusher was my jam growing up) even got a cool stuffed animal directly from Shane Shane Bettenhausen and got all their signatures... shortly before they all completely split apart... I'm glad Retronauts is still alive I used to take three day cross Canada bus trips and I would also listen to Retronauts for hours upon hours... Their Survival Horror episode is literally something I listen too once or twice a year

I miss Jenn Frank :(
I loved Jenn. She was a real laugh.

It made me sad when i used to read on here that everyone seemed not to like her.��

Nah, games are still in the train coming into the station phase. Or if i'm being generous, silent film phase.

Agreed on both counts.

I loved Jenn. She was a real laugh.

It made me sad when i used to read on here that everyone seemed not to like her.��

Her stories about her Dad are amazing. Jenn is incredible and was always an aset to those early Retronauts podcasts... I became such a fan that when I let gaming podcasts fall to the wayside for a bit my best friend at the time knew to immediately let me know that Jenn had come back after a long absence to do an episode and bam like that I was back into the 1 UP podcast family again...

I'm so glad I have literally almost the entire 1 UP archive saved... there just hasn't been a more dynamic and wonderful group of people since then imo.

I think Shy was talking about the over all maturity of the industry. The industry is barely self aware

Oh yeah. I thought he meant from an art and storytelling standpoint.

From a maturity standpoint, you're right, Shy. It fucking sucks and makes me wonder if I even want any part of games.

But...I want to tell stories. That's what I'm good at. There's no better medium to do that than with games. I wish the industry was better. I hope I can do better in it.

Slayven

Her stories about her Dad are amazing. Jenn is incredible and was always an aset to those early Retronauts podcasts... I became such a fan that when I let gaming podcasts fall to the wayside for a bit my best friend at the time knew to immediately let me know that Jenn had come back after a long absence to do an episode and bam like that I was back into the 1 UP podcast family again...

I'm so glad I have literally almost the entire 1 UP archive saved... there just hasn't been a more dynamic and wonderful group of people since then imo.

The old 1up podcasts were really great. One of the only gaming podcasts that didn't make me cringe or want to chew glass. Wish more folks aspired to be that good

Shy

Play better games.
i play all kinds of games fam.

But even what you would consider the most advance both narratively and thematically. Still wouldn't even come up to the level of the most shlocky pulp novels and b films.
I think Shy was talking about the over all maturity of the industry. The industry is barely self aware
I was.

But i do think games themselves are basic as fuck. Unfortunately.

Which is depressing, because i adore the medium, and think it has so much potential.

Yeah, loved her stories.

She did the voice in the game Super Hexagon. If you're interested in giving it a go.

I have epilepsy. So i can't play it.
Oh yeah. I thought he meant from an art and storytelling standpoint.

From a maturity standpoint, you're right, Shy. It fucking sucks and makes me wonder if I even want any part of games.

But...I want to tell stories. That's what I'm good at. There's no better medium to do that than with games. I wish the industry was better. I hope I can do better in it.
Sorry i was taking forever to reply. so i missed this post on my first pass.

I did mean both, but do learn more towards the latter, when i make my criticism.

But even what you would consider the most advance both narratively and thematically. Still wouldn't even come up to the level of the most shlocky pulp novels and b films.

Well...you're wrong. You are flat-out wrong.

But whatever. I have a feeling whatever argument I make here or story I would name and go into would be whistling in the wind.

Slayven

I was.

But i do think games themselves are basic as fuck. Unfortunately.

Which is depressing, because i adore the medium, and think it has so much potential.

Yeah, loved her stories.

She did the voice in the game Super Hexagon. If you're interested in giving it a go.

I have epilepsy. So i can't play it.

I agree with you there, graphics grows by leaps and bounds, but we still pretty much using the same basic ass gameplay systems. But why would you change when you have folks yelling "It should be souls like" all the time

Or devs forgot about gameplay. Like Masters of Orion 2, you could put spies on your foes world and steal tech or sabotage shit. I have yet to see shit like that again in a 4x game

Shy

Well...you're wrong. You are flat-out wrong.

But whatever. I have a feeling whatever argument I make here or story I would name and go into would be whistling in the wind.
Sorry Fawful. I hate the fact i make you feel like you would be wasting your time talking to me about it.

Though, i'm not completely ignorant to what you would say.

I just have a very dim view of the entire industry. (including the press. Because art criticism is fundamental to the growth of any art form) That i can come across as closed minded.
I agree with you there, graphics grows by leaps and bounds, but we still pretty much using the same basic ass gameplay systems. But why would you change when you have folks yelling "It should be souls like" all the time

Or devs forgot about gameplay. Like Masters of Orion 2, you could put spies on your foes world and steal tech or sabotage shit. I have yet to see shit like that again in a 4x game
True true.

But story wise too, it's just so fucking juvenile and cliched.

Sorry Fawful. I hate the fact i make you feel like you would be wasting your time talking to me about it.

I just have a very dim view of the entire industry. (including the press. Because art criticism is fundamental to the growth of any art form) That i can come across as closed minded.

True true.

Don't feel bad. I'm not mad at you. I just sense a fundamental disagreement here that I don't see changing for either of us. I might be wrong.

I inherently see games as a better medium than film or books or comics because you can interact with the world and story. I see personal interaction as the step forward in storytelling. I don't think games as a whole have outdone the best books or films, but I think there are games that stand toe to toe with the best films or books that I've seen or read, as an artistic statement, expression, use of personal style, a memorable narrative, and even from a psychological standpoint. I definitely think those things are more than just the level of a B movie or pulp novel. Where I know we'll disagree is on titles, especially if you're that pessimistic on the medium.

Like I said, I'm not mad or upset, I'm just not going to start a discussion where I'm whistling in the wind.

EDIT: I will also say that I believe the less games act like movies the better off they are.

Slayven

True true.

9/10 writing is an after thought in games, I wouldn't be shocked if ti was the smallest part of the budget. There are many video game stories i like, but even the best of the best is still amateur hour compared to tv.

Shy

Don't feel bad. I'm not mad at you. I just sense a fundamental disagreement here that I don't see changing for either of us. I might be wrong.

I inherently see games as a better medium than film or books or comics because you can interact with the world and story. I see personal interaction as the step forward in storytelling. I don't think games as a whole have outdone the best books or films, but I think there are games that stand toe to toe with the best films or books that I've seen or read, as an artistic statement, expression, use of personal style, a memorable narrative, and even from a psychological standpoint. I definitely think those things are more than just the level of a B movie or pulp novel. Where I know we'll disagree is on titles, especially if you're that pessimistic on the medium.

Like I said, I'm not mad or upset, I'm just not going to start a discussion where I'm whistling in the wind.
While i don't think that games inherently a better medium, i do think they can be just as good as other art forms.

I think i should clarify my views somewhat I do think there have been titles that i would consider a maturing of the form, but they're so few and far between as to be considered anecdotal at best, when weighed in the medium as a whole.

And, please don't misunderstand, i'm not pessimistic for the medium. Just about all the fuckbois in and around it. Which as you said in an earlier post we can agree on.
EDIT: I will also say that I believe the less games act like movies the better off they are.
I 100% agree with you there.
9/10 writing is an after thought in games, I wouldn't be shocked if ti was the smallest part of the budget. There are many video game stories i like, but even the best of the best is still amateur hour compared to tv.
Yeah. 😞

200.gif

Amateur hour compared to TV? Now my piss is rising in temperature. Man, I'm going the fuck to bed. I don't need to read this shit about how much Slay loves his reruns of Dallas during tapioca hour every day over games where every fiber of the game and every bit of how the game is put together is put together to serve an author's writing and narrative style.

200.gif

Amateur hour compared to TV? Now my piss is rising in temperature. Man, I'm going the fuck to bed. I don't need to read this shit about how much Slay loves his reruns of Dallas during tapioca hour every day over games where every fiber of the game and every bit of how the game is put together is put together to serve an author's writing and narrative style.

skins-liv-season-6.jpg

dead.jpg

also you dam UK people using actually teenagers in your teenage show, never realize how young these actors were

Slayven

200.gif

*claphands*First of all I was a Falcon Crest fan *claphands* Second, it hurts because it is true. Even The Asylum studios would turn down 98% of video game scripts

shingi70

Banned
In Colin's case I wonder how long it will be to realize that people aren't shittin on him for being conservative, but because hes an asshole.

It really hasn't died out but I'm expecting garbage to rear its head again this year in a big way.

In Colin's case I wonder how long it will be to realize that people aren't shittin on him for being conservative, but because hes an asshole.

It really hasn't died out but I'm expecting garbage to rear its head again this year in a big way.

We got pewdiepie doing a turn heel of nazi proportions and getting kicked from the Disney money club, Jontron went off the deep end to the surprise of no one. Who else would be next?! Markiplier? Nah. He's got a good heart.

Slayven

When the money drys up when he realizes he can't hack it as a pundit.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Good morning BCT. I expected more snow. . I am disappointed.

Sup.

I'm in Minnesota, so I'm done with snow. Let's start having sun and green now, please.

You're going to have a hard time with your writing in games argument, Fawful. I think writing in games can be brilliant. I'm amazed at how much Rockstar put into Red Dead Redemption. Games like Alan Wake, or Life is Strange have very focused narratives.

However the medium itself makes it hard to tell a pointed story. Unless you want the game to be very linear.

Why did JonTron have to go full retard man? I liked Jon. :(

Every day, there's always a lovely reminder that there's people out there who HATES me, not knowing a single thing about me All because of my fucking skin color.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I inherently see games as a better medium than film or books or comics because you can interact with the world and story.
To some degree, it's an apples to oranges comparison.

Games are never going to be as strong from a purely narrative standpoint as film or books, because games are not a primarily narrative medium. That's not an insult to video games, any more than it's an insult when you'd say it about music or painting or sculpture. It's a different art form. Like with music or painting, you can use games to tell a story, but it's not required, and it doesn't necessarily take away from the quality of the art if the story is nonexistent.

I see personal interaction as the step forward in storytelling.
Absolutely, but I think we have to ask if what makes a video game story good and what makes a book or movie story good are always the same thing.

Is a video game story good because the events and characters that exist beyond player control are well-written? Is it good because of how well the story and characters adapt to player choice? Or is it good because the game gives the player the tools to craft their own smaller stories purely through experimentation in gameplay, apart from the overarching narrative?

Maybe all of them. Maybe none. Damned if I know all the answers.

I don't think games as a whole have outdone the best books or films, but I think there are games that stand toe to toe with the best films or books that I've seen or read, as an artistic statement, expression, use of personal style, a memorable narrative, and even from a psychological standpoint.
One of my favorite small examples is from Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. It's a pretty simple game that expresses its story through gameplay mechanics and controls in a way that caught me completely off guard. That is an example of a game telling its story in a way that absolutely would not work in any other medium.

Kreed

Yep, people want they shit critized as high art but don't want what comes with it. They don't want the criticism about a lack of diversity, a lack of minorities or women or LGBT in the industry itself, people just want to enjoy they shit like it don't matter. But it does. It matters that whem the recognizable black figures in gaming topic was brought up, only two were mentioned. It matters that I can't name a whole lotta female voice actors, especially non white ones. It matters that the industry is not exactly welcoming to women, to LGBTQ, to racial minorties, but it's just video games. It don't matter.

It's stupid.

The gaming "community" can't have it both ways. They can't just take the praise and then hide in a "it's just a game" turtle shell when trouble comes. Either they want the high art praises and welcome the criticism and competition that comes from being high art or they're "just playing games" and the new games for their roach filled PS4s are no different than a game of checkers.

Morning BCT. Fuck Winter Seriously. Also I found an old case filled with some rare games if anyone is interested in trading or buying.

I am selling a case filled with Video Games. Such rare games include:

Wild Arms Code Alter F (PS2) - 70.00
Berserk: Sword of the Berserk (Dreamcast) - 50.00
Metal Gear Solid : The Twin Snakes Discs 1&2 (GameCube) - 40.00
Metal Gear Solid VR Missions (PSX) - 40.00
Suikoden 3 (PS2) - 50.00
Inuyasha: A Feudal Fairytale (PSX) - 40.00
Samurai Champloo (PS2) - 30.00
Batman Vengeance (Xbox)- 30.00
Megaman X4 (PSX) - 50.00
Lost Odyssey (Xbox 360) - 40.00

Unfortunately there are no individual cases or manuals for Each game but every game is tested and 100% Working.

Each game is available individually or you can buy the whole case for 300 OBO but lowballers will be ignored

Thats from my ad but if anyone here is interested I would be more than flexible on price. Im really trying to sell the whole damn thing which is why pricing is all screwed up.

Is a video game story good because the events and characters that exist beyond player control are well-written? Is it good because of how well the story and characters adapt to player choice? Or is it good because the game gives the player the tools to craft their own smaller stories purely through experimentation in gameplay, apart from the overarching narrative?

Maybe all of them. Maybe none. Damned if I know all the answers.

One of my favorite small examples is from Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. It's a pretty simple game that expresses its story through gameplay mechanics and controls in a way that caught me completely off guard. That is an example of a game telling its story in a way that absolutely would not work in any other medium.

Games are an extremely versatile medium. And I shouldn't still be awake, as I'm barely functioning, so I'll reply to this real quick before I really, officially go to bed like I said I would, but for me the most innovative game I have ever seen is The Last Express. Here is a game that literally runs on a real-world timer, meaning that unless you play hundreds of times, no playthrough will be the same. You have to think on your feet, you can follow specific storylines, you can listen in on conversations in foreign languages just like you were on a real train at the time, you can go and watch an entire concert if you want and nothing else, and so on and on and on. A game that truly functions in real time and makes proper use of that is one of the most innovative, ambitious ideas games have ever had. It is the truest evolution of the concept of the adventure game, and it completely tanked commercially. As a piece of art meant to take you through a specific place in a specific time period it is unrivaled.

And then there's Mother 3, a game where every mechanic, every piece of dialogue, every character, every place, every enemy, etc. etc. all exist simply as a showcase of one man's writing talent and style, a style and point of view that is wholly unique from anyone else. There is literally no truer piece of artistic expression in games. The game is literally as much of a personal vision as a game could possibly be. Shigesato Itoi is a jack of all trades, he is revered all over Japan, and he is a complete genius as a writer. That's not even going into the actual story and themes of the game itself, which are stunning and a world all their own.

I could go on and on about games like Grim Fandango which makes Pixar movies look like shit, or A Night in the Woods, or Ico, and so on and so on, and I would, but I'm falling asleep now.

Izuna

Banned
Morning BCT. Fuck Winter Seriously. Also I found an old case filled with some rare games if anyone is interested in trading or buying.

Thats from my ad but if anyone here is interested I would be more than flexible on price. Im really trying to sell the whole damn thing which is why pricing is all screwed up.

I got the rare AF Asian Lost Odyssey with English/Japanese/Korean voices boxed.

Silly dude sold it to me for just £12 lmao

shingi70

Banned
Split my bottom right boot when I stepped into some snow, with only two weeks hopefully of winter left I got lucky and found some $30 insulated books from the store brand.

BigDes

Slayven, the Civ games have had that espionage stuff built in since like Civ IV

I frequently use spies and sabotage to wreck a nation's infrastructure, foment rebellions and the like before invading

I got the rare AF Asian Lost Odyssey with English/Japanese/Korean voices boxed.

Silly dude sold it to me for just £12 lmao

Bruh, I love when you stumble across deals like that. I remember giving a dude 10 + a poutine for a black label FF7 turned around and sold it on eBay for 70 USD.

Funny enough I wanted to do a Mass Effect run before Andromeda drops. Cheapest I could find a used copy for was 40 CAD. Looked on the PSN store and I see this shit for 4.99. Copped.

Mornin all.

Tons of great dialog about gaming communities in here last night.

Trapped in doors due to snow. About to make breakfast and not play Zelda. Promised myself I'd give some other games some shine

Sch1sm

Slayven, the Civ games have had that espionage stuff built in since like Civ IV

I frequently use spies and sabotage to wreck a nation's infrastructure, foment rebellions and the like before invading

I mostly use that stuff to advance myself in science first, everything else second.

---

Morning, BCT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom