• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT17| - Thanks, Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

Nintendo needs to stop making hardware and just do games, they'll succeed better that way

Cause that's worked out SO WELL for everyone else that's gotten out of the hardware business. For one thing, Splatoon, Arms, and Pikmin wouldn't exist if they were just making games. For another, they'll more likely turn games into their new hanafuda cards than anything else. You should expect more apps and toys and theme parks if they get out of hardware, not Zelda on your PS4. I mean, with the money in Amiibo and iOS, they'll do more of that than anything else. Plus all those lesser IP would be completely dead. No more Fire Emblem. No more Sin & Punishment. Hell, 80% of the Smash Bros cast would be completely done. No, it's much better that we have a third company that's doing something completely different than the stripped down PC you hook to your TV approach.

LionPride

Banned
Cause that's worked out SO WELL for everyone else that's gotten out of the hardware business. For one thing, Splatoon, Arms, and Pikmin wouldn't exist if they were just making games. For another, they'll more likely turn games into their new hanafuda cards than anything else. You should expect more apps and toys and theme parks if they get out of hardware, not Zelda on your PS4. I mean, with the money in Amiibo and iOS, they'll do more of that than anything else. Plus all those lesser IP would be completely dead. No more Fire Emblem. No more Sin & Punishment. Hell, 80% of the Smash Bros cast would be completely done. No, it's much better that we have a third company that's doing something completely different than the stripped down PC you hook to your TV approach.

When Nintendo makes good decisions with their hardware call me, I don't care about the few good things they did when the majority is dumb shit.

Call me when Nintendo gets they head out of their ass and joins people in this damn Millennium. Call me when Nintendo rises from the grave of being ain't shit.

Until then, I don't give a fuck about a piece of Nintendo hardware

Malyse

If that happened Nintendo fanboys would finally realise that these games ain't anything special and would play other shit for once.

That's a cute way to be wrong.
When Nintendo makes good decisions with their hardware call me, I don't care about the few good things they did when the majority is dumb shit.

Call me when Nintendo gets they head out of their ass and joins people in this damn Millennium. Call me when Nintendo rises from the grave of being ain't shit.

Until then, I don't give a fuck about a piece of Nintendo hardware

So you don't like Nintendo's decisions. K. That doesn't equate to "they should only make games". An unsuccessful idea isn't a bad one.
The only reason their games are so good is because, as a platform maker, they can afford to keep a very large, very experienced stable of developers on the payroll at all times and can push out games at their leisure instead of having to rush to meet deadlines.

A 3rd party Nintendo is no Nintendo at all.

This too. I think 3rd party Nintendo loses a lot of their talent like 3rd party Sega did. Plus look at all the IP that Sega doesn't even touch any more. I'd rather a niche game have a small chance of a revival than none whatsoever.

LotusHD

Banned
$299 + $80 for another controller +$60 for a game + however much online costs + another game.

I want one but man.

THat's a hefty ass price tag.

The one thing that saddens me is having to pay for online now. I don't even like multiplayer games like that anymore, but knowing I didn't have to pay for it was comforting, and could lead me to potentially buy shit like Splatoon. Now it's like... Ehh, now I'm definitely not interested.

The Adder

Banned
Nintendo needs to stop making hardware and just do games, they'll succeed better that way

The only reason their games are so good is because, as a platform maker, they can afford to keep a very large, very experienced stable of developers on the payroll at all times and can push out games at their leisure instead of having to rush to meet deadlines.

Mizerman

Pretty much. Nintendo goes third party, all we'll see is Mario, Zelda and Fire Emblem. They aren't going to suddenly makes new properties just by going third party.

Slayven

Pretty much. Nintendo goes third party, all we'll see is Mario, Zelda and Fire Emblem. They aren't going to suddenly makes new properties just by going third party.

A winning strategy that was for the Wii U, the droughts on that thing was just silly. And look like the Switch is continuing the trend

Nintendo's biggest issue has always been branding and marketing.

The WiiU was a disaster in terms of marketing and branding, the Wii really only sold because of amazing word of mouth and the gimmick.

They NEED to nail this SB ad tonight if they want this launch to break 5M. That said, they have money for decades thanks to the Wii, and I'm sure they can continue to crap out mobile titles and make beaucoup $$$, so I can't imagine they are that worried.

Mizerman

A winning strategy that was for the Wii U, the droughts on that thing was just silly. And look like the Switch is continuing the trend

Nah, they assumed that since the Wii sold well, the Wii U was gonna do the same...without realizing why the Wii sold the way that it did. That, and third party games were scarce on the system didn't help matters.

Nintendo's biggest issue has always been branding and marketing.

The WiiU was a disaster in terms of marketing and branding, the Wii really only sold because of amazing word of mouth and the gimmick.

They NEED to nail this SB ad tonight if they want this launch to break 5M.

I'm curious on what would nail this?

I feel like the audience that made the wii a success and the audience that makes the 3DS a success aren't the same. People forget wii sports was a hit in hospitals and old folks homes as well. Showing off that this is a console for you to take on the go ain't going to do that.

I'm curious on what would nail this?

I feel like the audience that made the wii a success and the audience that makes the 3DS a success aren't the same. People forget wii sports was a hit in hospitals and old folks homes as well. Showing off that this is a console for you to take on the go ain't going to do that.

Honestly, having 1 2 switch in the box would have been huge.

You need something like Wii sports to sell the "gimmick' to the midwestern housewives who buy this shit in bulk. In terms of the ad, sell the Joy Cons and keep the screen being mobile as an afterthought.

Sell HARD on the Joy Cons.

LionPride

Banned
That's a cute way to be wrong.

So you don't like Nintendo's decisions. K. That doesn't equate to "they should only make games". An unsuccessful idea isn't a bad one.

They ain't made good decisions in damn near 17 years

Their games are good, their hardware is not. They have the ability to do good, but not as a goddamn hardware company

Nothing wrong with a good box of wine

Oh shit it does come in boxes?!

Honestly, having 1 2 switch in the box would have been huge.

You need something like Wii sports to sell the "gimmick' to the midwestern housewives who buy this shit in bulk. In terms of the ad, sell the Joy Cons and keep the screen being mobile as an afterthought.

Sell HARD on the Joy Cons.

Agreed if they wanted that wii audience they should have included it.

Wii + wii sports = $250
Switch + 1-2 switch = $360

Which do you think is going to be more of a hit?

Also the launch time is a factor. The Wii got the big word of mouth because it dropped during the holidays, people were going to each other's houses and gathering by the tv.

It's rolling into spring time. That audience you're trying to bring back doesn't want to be inside. So your aim now is playing this outdoors at parties. Sounds good on paper but that "put the basketball down and play some digital NBA action" seemed STUPID AS FUCK.

I hope they pull it off though

The Adder

Banned
Their hardware ain't shit though. Hasn't been for a while.

Who cares? I buy consoles for games. And your whole point was that you want them to make good games. I'm saying they won't be able to afford to make games the way they do as a 3rd party. Which means they won't make good games.

LionPride

Banned
Who cares? I buy consoles for games. And your whole point was that you want them to make good games. I'm saying they won't be able to afford to make games the way they do as a 3rd party. Which means they won't make good games.

I'm not gonna buy a shitty console for five games I want. I didn't buy a Wii U just because I wanted Splatoon and Bayonetta 2

I ain't gonna buy a Switch for shitty online, shitty third party games, decent to good first party games, and a bunch of shit I don't care about

I can't get drunk of the following:

- Whisky
- Plum Wine
- Shochu
- Beer/Cider (who can?)
- Tequilla

but Wine? Gimme Pinot Noir or some fruity Rose and I'm a gonner.

I'm the opposite
Well actually my problem is I can't sit still and be drunk because I'll just fall asleep. Need to be moving around.

Whiskey will got me drunk. Same with beer if there's enough, and not watered down bud light or coors. Wine is the same, takes a bit but once there's enough, look out.

Fuck tequila

FyreWulff

Super Mario Run has one of the highest conversion rates (free -> paid) on mobile.

It's conversion rate is 5% of downloads.

Problem with mobile is the race to the bottom pricing model means you need to move absurd volume to make any money, because so few people will pay anything more than free or .99. They've been successful with the higher-than-traditional price, but it's also Nintendo. They're going to be the exception to the norm.

Zaverious

Any of y'all have some recommendations for some free multiplayer iOS games? I have card games covered with yugioh duel links so none of them.

Nothing wrong with a good box of wine

Yes. And Moscato is the official drink of black women, and the truth.

Also, Marvel grabbed some random skinny white man, took off his shirt, and drew on his chest with a Sharpie:

C3olMANUMAAFtRH.jpg

Asian Americans told us. They told us.

Zekes!

Same, shit was particularly convenient to me as a college student, as I didn't have to worry about bothering my roommates lol

I don't know if I'll even use the Switch as a portable, but I know for damn sure I'm gonna play it undocked in my house. Girlfriend watching some bullshit on Netflix? It's good, lemme just hop into some Zelda

Also despite the (deserved) hesitation about 1, 2, 3, Switch's quality, that shit seems like it'll be a blast for my family get togethers. I had people playing the Jackbox games for a while and people were killing themselves laughing each time

Couldn't even get a guy who could pretend to be a martial artist huh?

I mean Danny isn't exactly ripped, but he's cut enough to be noticeable.

Dude looks like he just got done with his Alice in Chains cover band.

The Adder

Banned
I'm not gonna buy a shitty console for five games I want. I didn't buy a Wii U just because I wanted Splatoon and Bayonetta 2

I ain't gonna buy a Switch for shitty online, shitty third party games, decent to good first party games, and a bunch of shit I don't care about

Okay, and? Your options are buy a Nintendo console if you want to play good Nintendo games, or don't play good Nintendo games. Good Nintendo games on other consoles is not an option because Nintendo going 3rd party means they won't be able to afford keeping their talent on staff or working at their own pace.

Simple as that.

I love a good sweet cider. I'm not a big drinker, the last time I had alcohol was probably 5 months ago.

I just like to sip on something that calms my nerve but only during rare occasions and at home.

If I'm going to a bottomless brunch I'm asking for a virgin Shirley Temple.

Izuna

Banned
y'all need to see this snl white house briefing if you haven't lmao

I love a good sweet cider. I'm not a big drinker, the last time I had alcohol was probably 5 months ago.

I just like to sip on something that calms my nerve but only during rare occasions.

I drink cider to sober up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom