• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT17| - Thanks, Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfTime

Banned
I want to ask you question, it isn't meant to be provocative but I am curious?

why is there an element within the African American community that tends to romanticize Ancient Egypt? a North African civilization?

What's the historical reason for this, it seems like its what the Germans did in the 19th century was racialize the greeks as a "Aryan civilization"

again this is not to be provocative but an informative question?

Do any of you all play Pillar of Eternity or Divinity Original Sin? I might be looking for a nice RPG that I could play on a laptop.

Man Beyonce killed it last year with Formation at the SUperbowl

This guy gets it

Yup if something seems fishy with a poster that is being dense I start ignoring them. Sometimes I probe them just to check if they are actually as dense as they are coming off. But not all of the time.

Pillar is good, divinity Peter's out around the second half.

You didn't tell me that you played the original when we were talking about the sequel.

I heard criticism that in Divinity you become too powerful near the end and it stop becoming fun.

Any thoughts on each of their character customization? It's really hard for me to get into a RPG if the protagonist is customization but I can't make my character look like me.

You didn't tell me that you played the original when we were talking about the sequel.

I heard criticism that in Divinity you become too powerful near the end and it stop becoming fun.

Any thoughts on each of their character customization? It's really hard for me to get into a RPG if the protagonist is customization but I can't make my character look like me.
Neither have good customization, Pillars uses DnD style systems, Divinity is very very basic.

Slayven

Tangent but anyone else tired of Tolkien and DnD inspired fantasy in books and games?

You think people would come up with different systems by now

I want to ask you question, it isn't meant to be provocative but I am curious?

why is there an element within the African American community that tends to romanticize Ancient Egypt? a North African civilization?

What's the historical reason for this, it seems like its what the Germans did in the 19th century was racialize the greeks as a "Aryan civilization"

again this is not to be provocative but an informative question?

You'll have to ask someone who's into that kind of thing

akira28

can we be sure of anything in respect to Africa since it is the least studied and most suppressed history of them all, relative to a living people? Instead of asking questions why don't some people think a little before assuming they know exactly where their leading inquiries will take them.

its not even the first time someone tried to bring in the "North Africans and Egyptians aren't black Africans, the're white and maybe even Caucasian" argument. Take that tired dog outside.
And shoot it.

I really don't feel like falling for bait tonight but this is a topic I know a bit about seeing how it is discussed in the circles I find myself in.

On the note of Ancient Egypt, America has made it almost a focus to discredit the accomplishment of those from the African diaspora. Some groups going so far to say that slavery was a net positive because they rescued savage beats from their uncultured ways.

Ancient Egypt has been praised for the mathematical brilliance and refined culture.

No one within this community is arguing that ancient or modern African communities besides Egypt are less refined or brilliant, but it is undeniable that Ancient Egypt is highly regarded and respected.

So the question should be less "Why do Blacks love Ancient Egypt?" and more "Why is Ancient Egypt the only culture that is respected by non-Blacks?"

I'm only spending time typing this because I think it is important to discuss and share within this community. Not because I think the question posed was genuine.

WolfTime

Banned
Because there was a questing mark.

because its revisionism when the racial make up of Egypt is still debated among historians and you have a large section of a community that tries to claim the sole accomplishments and inheritance of Ancient Egypt, and only them?

so unless you think we should all go around acting deluded about history?

Izuna

Banned
because its revisionism when the racial make up of Egypt is still debated among historians and you have a large section of a community that tries to claim the sole accomplishments and inheritance of Ancient Egypt, and only them?

so unless you think we should all go around acting deluded about history?

oooooh that's why you're asking

Zekes!

Tangent but anyone else tired of Tolkien and DnD inspired fantasy in books and games?

You think people would come up with different systems by now

This is my preferred fantasy
797c56d1beb112c9c9d093acd0e5debb.jpg

WolfTime

Banned
I really don't feel like falling for bait tonight but this is a topic I know a bit about seeing how it is discussed in the circles I find myself in.

On the note of Ancient Egypt, America has made it almost a focus to discredit the accomplishment of those from the African diaspora. Some groups going so far to say that slavery was a net positive because they rescued savage beats from their uncultured ways.

Ancient Egypt has been praised for the mathematical brilliance and refined culture.

No one within this community is arguing that ancient or modern African communities besides Egypt are less refined or brilliant, but it is undeniable that Ancient Egypt is highly regarded and respected.

So the question should be less "Why do Blacks love Ancient Egypt?" and more "Why is Ancient Egypt the only culture that is respected by non-Blacks?"

I'm only spending time typing this because I think it is important to discuss and share within this community. Not because I think the question posed was genuine.

Egypt's mathematics were good in the sense that they were used for practical purposes like engineering and construction

However, the unique achievement of the Greeks in math was the introduction of the proof and an axiomatic deductive system via Euclid's Elements

Egypt's mathematics were good in the sense that they were used for practical purposes like engineering and construction

However, the unique achievement of the Greeks in math was the introduction of the proof and an axiomatic deductive system via Euclid's Elements
Whoooooosh

And I suggest most people ignore any "questions" or "concerns" that try to tell you that melanin was in a deficit when discussing Ancient Egypt.

Also I'm glad to see our guest lacks the ability to comprehend my post and instead pushes his own discussion.

Quite genuine.

WolfTime

Banned
And I suggest most people ignore any "questions" or "concerns" that try to tell you that melanin was in a deficit when discussing Ancient Egypt.

what? first of all its ridiculous to ascribe modern racial constructs like "white race or black race" to Ancient Egypt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom