• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT18| - Ma-ma-ma-MAXIMUM! Haram Achieved

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I played and liked FFXV and Horizon Zero Dawn, would I like Persona 5? Or is it too weeb? (obviously never played any of the previous entries)

Izuna

Banned
How is it too anime? I played a little of 3 and never thought anime, but something like Hyper Dimension Neptunia or Arcana Heart is too anime.

I have a low tolerance I guess

I'm very reluctant and as much as I love SMT, I can't put more than an hour into a Persona without wishing it ditched the anime stuff

I don't know about those games you mentioned but I'm assuming it's why I can't shop for games whenever I'm in Tokyo, haha

--

999 was borderline but it was good enough that I could deal with it,

tumblr_nhy1oqEUC71u758amo3_1280.png

I assume most of BCT is in deep when it comes to anime but just don't want to admit it.

I don't understand the logic of missing out on an entire medium because of how it outwardly appears to others. I still shake my head to this day that my friends refuse to watch Madoka Magicka because it looks too moe or girly.

Johndoey

Banned
Just back a copy of the Ps3 version, wait 4-6 months, and then play Persona on your handy ps3 emulator.
--
There's way too much quality content out there to watch all of it, gotta pare lists down somehow.

Izuna

Banned
Stopped watching anime around after Angel Beats came out. Then I recently saw Attack on Titan and Brotherhood like a year ago. The former was straight up trash.

Though, I think sharing a room with a dude who had loli posters and visiting Akihabara has made me never wanting to watch anime.

But yes, GitS, Akira, shit like Nausicaa or Grave of the Fireflies are brilliant uses of the medium

Sadly anime isn't like that anymore

z0VjxVr.png

Don't post MOE in here. Please.

We'll, apparently it's a good show so I went to google to find out. I save y'all the effort.

(it's atrocious)

Stopped watching anime around after Angel Beats came out. Then I recently saw Attack on Titan and Brotherhood like a year ago. The former was straight up trash.

Though, I think sharing a room with a dude who had loli posters and visiting Akihabara has made me never wanting to watch anime.

But yes, GitS, Akira, shit like Nausicaa or Grave of the Fireflies are brilliant uses of the medium

Sadly anime isn't like that anymore

We'll, apparently it's a good show so I went to google to find out. I save y'all the effort.

(it's atrocious)
pile_of_shit.gif

It's tiring when the same people complain about how "anime isn't the same", "what happen to all the good shows?" and don't bother to look beyond the surface. Here's some genuinely good non " moe"(which isn't even bad in itself) anime of the past 2-3 years.
mob.gif

636217738283505369-1515048321_one%20pucnch%20man.jpg

latest

43399.jpg

I would throw in kill la kill but most people would not get the point of the show because they would have already dropped it the first episode.

What the fuck, there's a dialysis commerical playing in Houston of a cop constantly following/pulling over a black guy. And ends with a black woman saying the website/product

Izuna

Banned

I feel like I have had this debate a bazillion times so I'll skip to the agree to disagree point:

When anime becomes your goto medium for a variety of genres and stories, then you become immune to how anime looks (and often sounds).

I even mentioned Angel Beats, which as far as I am concerned is Moe af. I was 17 then and I hadn't been exposed to how bad the aesthetic can be. Going to an anime con, looking at cosplayers, there's a very juvenile fanbase that quite frankly, ruin it for people.

I'm sure that one anime you posted has an amazing story, but aesthetically it's anime af.

The talk of older anime is that fan service, moe, over the top flashy key frame explosions weren't part of it back then. Anime can either be a broad term for Japanese produced animation, or it can mean "Anime".

I have multiple reasons to dislike the medium at it is today, and it mostly stems from the reason why it looks the way it does these days.

Gattsu25

Banned
I assume most of BCT is in deep when it comes to anime but just don't want to admit it.
I'm sorta getting back into it thanks to Netflix.

I stopped watching anime a little bit after Toonami got shut down.

Since then I have watched:

• Gurren Lagann: Season 1, meh. Last 2 episodes of season 1, best. Season 2, better. Last 2 episodes of season 2, best.
  • Kill La Kill: Kept watching hoping it would get as stupidly crazy as Gurren Lagann did. Meh
  • Tokyo Ghoul: Good first episode, shit everything else. Gave up 2 eps into season 2. waste of time
  • Fate/Zero: Loved it. Good style, good fights, had that "this show is not afraid of ripping out the heart of the viewer" vibe that I immediately picked up from the first NieR game.
  • Fate/Stay Night: hated it. sappy consequence free children's show
  • Death Note: really good first few episodes. gets worse with each one. by the time season 2 started it was garbage. stopped watching midway through season 2
  • Attack on Titan: watched 2 episodes. didn't seem horrible. didn't seem great.
  • Kuromukuro: got 5 minutes into episode 2 and stopped right there. I don't see this show going anywhere
  • Aijin: weird 3d art style but seems decent enough content wise. Got 2 episodes into season 2 and tapered off
  • One Punch Man: watched the first episode. seems like a good deconstruction of superhero/fight shows
  • Gantz: bullshit
  • New Voltron: Watched one episode and was surprised at how high budget it seems. on the backlog
  • Psycho Pass: got 3 episodes in. seems decent enough. tapered off
  • Parasyte: Got 2 episodes in. I'm really cautious on this show. Appears to have the potential to be either decent (but not good) or horrible.
  • God Eater: 2 episodes. garbage
  • Naruto: watched something like 3 seasons before I realized that I hated the show. Thankfully this primed me for...
  • One Piece: ...which I immediately recognized that I hated. Stopped midway through the first episode. Thanks, Naruto.
  • Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Really like what I've seen. 4 episodes in. Only watch it when I'm visiting family. My mom seems to like it.
  • Berserk Movies: bleh mostly. Higher budget and the 3D stuff doesn't bother me but some of the changes I can't look past.
  • New Berserk Series: watched the first episode. fucking trash. This is probably the worst anime i've seen since one piece

So yeah, I keep coming back to anime trying to find something that appeals to me and keep getting disappointed outside of 4 episodes of Gurren Lagann and Fate/Zero. However, the strength of those got me to watch even more and bounce off of basically everything.

Not sure what that makes me. It's like I'm chasing the dragon of anime that I used to like but almost everything is shit now or my tastes just mostly moved on.

So yeah, I guess I'm an anime fan. I just hate most anime :\

Edit: knew I forgot something. Added Jojo
Edit 2: Added newer Berserk stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom