• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT18| - Ma-ma-ma-MAXIMUM! Haram Achieved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izuna

Banned
You say it's too anime but you were just out here asking us if you should drop $200 on your girl to cosplay as this:

the answer of which is yes

2B is incredibly stylish. It's tasteful gothic lolita (that's not really lolita). I don't know if this makes me a hypocrite (I don't think it does), but 2B != the sort of stuff you see in Anime.

D i Z

Persona 5 is still anime as hell.

Like the game so far reminds me more of P3 than P4. Which for me is great. Mostly.

It's the exposition that kills me. I could maybe kind of deal with most of the anime tropes, but the freakin drawn out "tell everything, show nothing-ness" instead of the opposite is a hurdle too high.

Izuna

Banned
2B's outfit is in no way tasteful.

It's like Alexander McQueen's first collection

~~

It's been a decade since I've seen it but I really liked Kino's Journey

I actually have an anime planet profile with all the anime I have ever seen on it haha

I feel like I have had this debate a bazillion times so I'll skip to the agree to disagree point:

When anime becomes your goto medium for a variety of genres and stories, then you become immune to how anime looks (and often sounds).

I even mentioned Angel Beats, which as far as I am concerned is Moe af. I was 17 then and I hadn't been exposed to how bad the aesthetic can be. Going to an anime con, looking at cosplayers, there's a very juvenile fanbase that quite frankly, ruin it for people.

I'm sure that one anime you posted has an amazing story, but aesthetically it's anime af.

The talk of older anime is that fan service, moe, over the top flashy key frame explosions weren't part of it back then. Anime can either be a broad term for Japanese produced animation, or it can mean "Anime".

I have multiple reasons to dislike the medium at it is today, and it mostly stems from the reason why it looks the way it does these days.
da0d8f1874357e3dfe4364fe3a26d9b8.jpg

It really sounds like you haven't really tried good modern shows. I avoid a ton of shows but still love the medium. There are really good stories that your missing out on, but ultimately I can only point you in there direction.

LionPride

Banned
2B's outfit is in no way tasteful.

Don't tell Gaming Side that

It really sounds like you haven't really tried good modern shows. I avoid a ton of shows but still love the medium. There are really good stories that your missing out on, but ultimately I can only point you in there direction.

Now this is more me, out of a petty reason, I gave anime the fuck up. I know I would love Hajime No Ippo, Kuroko No Basket, One Punch Man, and JoJo. Won't ever watch it tho.

Johndoey

Banned
It's the exposition that kills me. I could maybe kind of deal with most of the anime tropes, but the freakin drawn out "tell everything, show nothing-ness" instead of the opposite is a hurdle too high.

Yeah the first few hours feel like a new info dump every five steps. Still a bit better than P4's opening..

Izuna

Banned

I think my older brother who used to check out all the anime seasons. We would watch 4 episodes of almost everything that didn't look suspect, haha

I guess the way I see it, there are many more US TV shows that I am missing out on and those are easier to find people to with about them. There's that, and the fact that I absolutely can't get Bae to watch anime anything unless it's "really" freaking good. Like, show your mother good.

I heard One Punch is dope, I'll watch that sometime. Maybe those Haruhi Movies even

Gattsu25

Banned
I didn't type all this bullshit just to bury it at the end of the last page:

I assume most of BCT is in deep when it comes to anime but just don't want to admit it.
I'm sorta getting back into it thanks to Netflix.

I stopped watching anime a little bit after Toonami got shut down.

Since then I have watched:

• Gurren Lagann: Season 1, meh. Last 2 episodes of season 1, best. Season 2, better. Last 2 episodes of season 2, best.
  • Kill La Kill: Kept watching hoping it would get as stupidly crazy as Gurren Lagann did. Meh
  • Tokyo Ghoul: Good first episode, shit everything else. Gave up 2 eps into season 2. waste of time
  • Fate/Zero: Loved it. Good style, good fights, had that "this show is not afraid of ripping out the heart of the viewer" vibe that I immediately picked up from the first NieR game.
  • Fate/Stay Night: hated it. sappy consequence free children's show
  • Death Note: really good first few episodes. gets worse with each one. by the time season 2 started it was garbage. stopped watching midway through season 2
  • Attack on Titan: watched 2 episodes. didn't seem horrible. didn't seem great.
  • Kuromukuro: got 5 minutes into episode 2 and stopped right there. I don't see this show going anywhere
  • Aijin: weird 3d art style but seems decent enough content wise. Got 2 episodes into season 2 and tapered off
  • One Punch Man: watched the first episode. seems like a good deconstruction of superhero/fight shows
  • Gantz: bullshit
  • New Voltron: Watched one episode and was surprised at how high budget it seems. on the backlog
  • Psycho Pass: got 3 episodes in. seems decent enough. tapered off
  • Parasyte: Got 2 episodes in. I'm really cautious on this show. Appears to have the potential to be either decent (but not good) or horrible.
  • God Eater: 2 episodes. garbage
  • Naruto: watched something like 3 seasons before I realized that I hated the show. Thankfully this primed me for...
  • One Piece: ...which I immediately recognized that I hated. Stopped midway through the first episode. Thanks, Naruto.
  • Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Really like what I've seen. 4 episodes in. Only watch it when I'm visiting family. My mom seems to like it.
  • Berserk Movies: bleh mostly. Higher budget and the 3D stuff doesn't bother me but some of the changes I can't look past.
  • New Berserk Series: watched the first episode. fucking trash. This is probably the worst anime i've seen since one piece

So yeah, I keep coming back to anime trying to find something that appeals to me and keep getting disappointed outside of 4 episodes of Gurren Lagann and Fate/Zero. However, the strength of those got me to watch even more and bounce off of basically everything.

Not sure what that makes me. It's like I'm chasing the dragon of anime that I used to like but almost everything is shit now or my tastes just mostly moved on.

So yeah, I guess I'm an anime fan. I just hate most anime :\

Edit: knew I forgot something. Added Jojo
Edit 2: Added newer Berserk stuff
Edit 3: Oh, I also watched an anime music video of Amon: The Apocalypse of Devilman, after someone linked to it on GAF, which was basically just all of the gore scenes. Video's been taken down for ages though because that movie seems repugnant as hell when it comes to violence. Also, AMVs are the worst​

Izuna

Banned
Aight, so I've found my anime-planet account and updated it to reflect the two anime I have seen after all these years

http://www.anime-planet.com/users/Izunin/anime

ignore the ratings, I guess? I think I put anything I enjoyed to be 5 star when I was a teen haha. Looking at my Want to Watch list, I guess I have a couple. If you have any non-Moe recommendations lemme know. I don't have Uni for another month so...

Gattsu25

Banned
Aight, so I've found my anime-planet account and updated it to reflect the two anime I have seen after all these years

ignore the ratings, I guess? I think I put anything I enjoyed to be 5 star when I was a teen haha. Looking at my Want to Watch list, I guess I have a couple. If you have any non-Moe recommendations lemme know. I don't have Uni for another month so...

Fate/Zero is the only thing I think I can honestly recommend anymore.

If your that into card captor sakura and other shows like it, why not watch Madoka Magica? It's only 12 eps or two movies on netflix.

Izuna

Banned
Fate/Zero is the only thing I think I can honestly recommend anymore.

Okay thanks, I'll put it up there.

If your that into card captor sakura and other shows like it, why not watch Madoka? It's only 12 eps or two movies on netflix.

I think I watched CCS when I was 14 haha. I do remember really liking it but I don't think I could watch that again.

(I think I should update some of these ratings I gave)

Village

When you find that obscure as MF doom mix tape with the remix on it you lost track off because the name was silly but had a dope beat, so now you can sample that shit because the produce specifically left enough to sample and rework into a looped instrumental and its been years since you heard the song

tenor.gif

Does gundam count as anime

Because gundam is rad

Gundam is the most anime

Teen against causing horrible decisions with robots

I was watching 00, who let teenagers be orchestrated domestic terrorirsts

Wow, Gattsu, I see a maximum of four titles on that list I like. And at least one or two of those are guilty pleasures that I don't consider good.

Anyway, the greatest anime ever made is and always will be Monster. It could be a live-action show on HBO. That's why it's good, because it's not for teens or perverts. Everyone looks realistic. The show isn't afraid to look ugly.

2lGzuw4.gif

This moe stuff is trash. It should be banned from the thread.

Caim

Wow, Gattsu, I see a maximum of four titles on that list I like. And at least one or two of those are guilty pleasures that I don't consider good.

Anyway, the greatest anime ever made is and always will be Monster. It could be a live-action show on HBO. That's why it's good, because it's not for teens or perverts. Everyone looks realistic. The show isn't afraid to look ugly.

2lGzuw4.gif

This moe stuff is trash. It should be banned from the thread.

Monster is my all-time favorite.

I should rewatch it one of these days.

Numb

I didn't type all this bullshit just to bury it at the end of the last page:

I'm sorta getting back into it thanks to Netflix.

I stopped watching anime a little bit after Toonami got shut down.

Since then I have watched:

• Gurren Lagann: Season 1, meh. Last 2 episodes of season 1, best. Season 2, better. Last 2 episodes of season 2, best.
  • Kill La Kill: Kept watching hoping it would get as stupidly crazy as Gurren Lagann did. Meh
  • Tokyo Ghoul: Good first episode, shit everything else. Gave up 2 eps into season 2. waste of time
  • Fate/Zero: Loved it. Good style, good fights, had that "this show is not afraid of ripping out the heart of the viewer" vibe that I immediately picked up from the first NieR game.
  • Fate/Stay Night: hated it. sappy consequence free children's show
  • Death Note: really good first few episodes. gets worse with each one. by the time season 2 started it was garbage. stopped watching midway through season 2
  • Attack on Titan: watched 2 episodes. didn't seem horrible. didn't seem great.
  • Kuromukuro: got 5 minutes into episode 2 and stopped right there. I don't see this show going anywhere
  • Aijin: weird 3d art style but seems decent enough content wise. Got 2 episodes into season 2 and tapered off
  • One Punch Man: watched the first episode. seems like a good deconstruction of superhero/fight shows
  • Gantz: bullshit
  • New Voltron: Watched one episode and was surprised at how high budget it seems. on the backlog
  • Psycho Pass: got 3 episodes in. seems decent enough. tapered off
  • Parasyte: Got 2 episodes in. I'm really cautious on this show. Appears to have the potential to be either decent (but not good) or horrible.
  • God Eater: 2 episodes. garbage
  • Naruto: watched something like 3 seasons before I realized that I hated the show. Thankfully this primed me for...
  • One Piece: ...which I immediately recognized that I hated. Stopped midway through the first episode. Thanks, Naruto.
  • Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Really like what I've seen. 4 episodes in. Only watch it when I'm visiting family. My mom seems to like it.
  • Berserk Movies: bleh mostly. Higher budget and the 3D stuff doesn't bother me but some of the changes I can't look past.
  • New Berserk Series: watched the first episode. fucking trash. This is probably the worst anime i've seen since one piece

How'd you let your momma get ahead of you in the Jojo train
Get on that shit
2B's outfit is in no way tasteful. Besides that it's a pretty generic skimpy anime combat outfit.
I like pretty girls and big butts
-Yoko Taro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom