• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT18| - Ma-ma-ma-MAXIMUM! Haram Achieved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izuna

Banned
That but that hate is already in them. They don't go to that media to be taught. They go to hear what they want to hear.

I dunno... You have to realise that social media is affecting the next generation that are currently kids.

Like the picture I linked, what kind of debate do you think impressionable 13 years olds will have when they see that? Any additional information, even explaining what it's trying to say, will appear as a "truth".

It's propaganda and it has a real effect on people's beliefs.

https://digital.library.cornell.edu/catalog?f[collection_tesim][]=Adler+Hip+Hop+Archive

The link above takes you to Cornell's newly released Adler Hip Hop Archive, full of photos and documents.

Like:
rEfK0SN.jpg

Public Enemy signing at Def Jam with a ridiculously young Rick Rubin.

As well as official label bios for acts, clippings of rap coverage from the time period, and stuff like original concert posters.

Heavy on Public Enemy and LL Cool J. Just in case anyone is interested.

Pretty dope. Thanks for sharing..

I dunno... You have to realise that social media is affecting the next generation that are currently kids.

Like the picture I linked, what kind of debate do you think impressionable 13 years olds will have when they see that? Any additional information, even explaining what it's trying to say, will appear as a "truth".

It's propaganda and it has a real effect on people's beliefs.

I think younger people can change, but the older you get the less likely it is. I don't expect it, though. I don't expect it because most people don't want to change.

Every kid I know watches YouTube all the time. Most of them know who Jontron is. I was going off about him recently and my young cousin said "Well I'll still watch him cause he's funny." I told him to eat shit. If he was my kid I'd have taken his phone and broken it into a million pieces.

So yes, I know firsthand all too well that kids are being affected by these dickless cunthydras.

Numb

https://digital.library.cornell.edu/catalog?f[collection_tesim][]=Adler+Hip+Hop+Archive

The link above takes you to Cornell's newly released Adler Hip Hop Archive, full of photos and documents.

Like:
rEfK0SN.jpg

Public Enemy signing at Def Jam with a ridiculously young Rick Rubin.

As well as official label bios for acts, clippings of rap coverage from the time period, and stuff like original concert posters.

Heavy on Public Enemy and LL Cool J. Just in case anyone is interested.
Looking at all those Eric B faces

tumblr_o8qkediuJp1rqk1xgo1_1280.jpg

Truth lol

I'm so tired of topics about police kicking the people they arrest in the head and gay concentration camps in Chechnya drifting into obscurity while those about how white supremacists are getting bullied draw "enlightened" men and women from all over this board to talk down to minorities for pages on end. It's literally a microcosm of how people ignore what minorities are actually dealing with for the sake of building their "both sides", "come to the table" narrative.

andthebeatgoeson

Easter is supposed to be better than this.

My early memories of Easter revolve around everyone getting Easter clothes. Dudes used to get a lot. I was uninterested in looking sharp. Still am. I've used a ton of excuses why i don't need to be 'shiny' but it justs revolve around my middle school friends loving nice clothes and them picking on me. I was indifferent and our family was still not rich.

Looking back, my mom was stacking chips to move out of south west Philly to Jersey. Everyone was surprised when we moved and she bought two new cars but we were young and dumb. But it stuck with me and i still rarely but clothes.

But the memories stick.

At one point, i thought it was more manly to not be into clothes. But that was just a cover for my true beliefs.

My true beliefs, i like nice clothes but never developed an eye for good style. I have to force it or spend a lot at Macy's get a good look. Since i don't value it, I'd rather go to Marshall's. You can find decent brand name clothes there (or Ross) but you have to hunt and be willing to wait. And it's for cheap, so that speaks to my cheap side. But I'm not cheap with alcohol, food, restaurants or vacations. So it's more of my value system. Will buy cars used and clothes cheap but i love experiences or ways to connect to people.

Just figured i would talk about Easter and how i remember it.

I'm so tired of topics about police kicking the people they arrest in the head and gay concentration camps in Chechnya drifting into obscurity while those about how white supremacists are getting bullied draw "enlightened" men and women from all over this board to talk down to minorities for pages on end. It's literally a microcosm of how people ignore what minorities are actually dealing with for the sake of building their "both sides", "come to the table" narrative.

How can we ignore the tragedy of what's happening to Whites? The leveling of the playing field affects Whites like no other catastrophe. White's shouldn't have to actually compete with the likes of us!

Those people that come out of the damn woodwork to resort to "both sides" bullshit can quite honestly go fuck themselves.

Easter is supposed to be better than this.

My early memories of Easter revolve around everyone getting Easter clothes. Dudes used to get a lot. I was uninterested in looking sharp. Still am. I've used a ton of excuses why i don't need to be 'shiny' but it justs revolve around my middle school friends loving nice clothes and them picking on me. I was indifferent and our family was still not rich.

Looking back, my mom was stacking chips to move out of south west Philly to Jersey. Everyone was surprised when we moved and she bought two new cars but we were young and dumb. But it stuck with me and i still rarely but clothes.

But the memories stick.

At one point, i thought it was more manly to not be into clothes. But that was just a cover for my true beliefs.

My true beliefs, i like nice clothes but never developed an eye for good style. I have to force it or spend a lot at Macy's get a good look. Since i don't value it, I'd rather go to Marshall's. You can find decent brand name clothes there (or Ross) but you have to hunt and be willing to wait. And it's for cheap, so that speaks to my cheap side. But I'm not cheap with alcohol, food, restaurants or vacations. So it's more of my value system. Will buy cars used and clothes cheap but i love experiences or ways to connect to people.

Just figured i would talk about Easter and how i remember it.

My parents are crazy and wouldn't let me do any holidays growing up. My Dad once let me do Christmas only to take away the presents I liked, to "teach me a lesson" about not getting what I want in life.

Any of yall ready to grab the cheap easter candy tomorrow? I know I am, if I can recover from this cold that is. I feel like shit right now but Overwatch and Resident Evil HD for PS4 are helping with that.

andthebeatgoeson

My parents are crazy and wouldn't let me do any holidays growing up. My Dad once let me do Christmas only to take away the presents I liked, to "teach me a lesson" about not getting what I want in life.
Fuck. Damn.

I'm not that bad. Don't do Halloween because my wife didn't do it as a kid but we still buy them candy. We tell them Santa isn't real; turned it pro parent and said we are bringing you presents. But we celebrate everything else in a Christian fashion. Easter is not about a bunny, for us. Christmas ain't about Santa, for us. Thanksgiving is about family. Wife is pro military so that makes easy work for about the rest of them.

And I'll never let them get into the clothes angle as kids. Love seeing my son in high waters with holes, not caring about a thing. Love seeing my girl with natural hair, not caring about anything but smiles and fun. Love my oldest with a braided mohawk, as he grows his dreads out. Kid's innocence brings me life.

Sometimes, I'm getting in their way more than anything. But being an overprotective parent is like that.

Damn.
No holiday? Religious,goverment etc

Religious, in the worst way. But they took me away from worse, so at least I got that going for me. My biological parents let me get kidnapped as a baby, as far as I've been told by both parties.

Fuck. Damn.

I'm not that bad. Don't do Halloween because my wife didn't do it as a kid but we still buy them candy. We tell them Santa isn't real; turned it pro parent and said we are bringing you presents. But we celebrate everything else in a Christian fashion. Easter is not about a bunny, for us. Christmas ain't about Santa, for us. Thanksgiving is about family. Wife is pro military so that makes easy work for about the rest of them.

And I'll never let them get into the clothes angle as kids. Love seeing my son in high waters with holes, not caring about a thing. Love seeing my girl with natural hair, not caring about anything but smiles and fun. Love my oldest with a braided mohawk, as he grows his dreads out. Kid's innocence brings me life.

Sometimes, I'm getting in their way more than anything. But being an overprotective parent is like that.

At least you don't force them not to have fun. I don't have a problem with it unless it's insane and abusive. Anyway, enough about me.

happy-go-ducky.jpg

Happy Easter!

Religious, in the worst way. But they took me away from worse, so at least I got that going for me. My biological parents let me get kidnapped as a baby, as far as I've been told by both parties.

At least you don't force them not to have fun. I don't have a problem with it unless it's insane and abusive. Anyway, enough about me.

happy-go-ducky.jpg

Happy Easter!

Brah. Just....come here man.

*Hugs* Happy easter, dude. Hope everything is going ok for you.

andthebeatgoeson

I want to raise my kids to not give a fuck what other kids think do or say.
It's tough. My oldest has a period where he thought he was white. Couldn't understand that his hair wouldn't grow long and straight. He wanted to relax it at age 10. We wearing skinny jeans and things didn't look right. Wife told me to let him be and he's turned into this other person in a few years.

The biggest thing we need to take away from those studies on the very young implying black means bad, is that systemic racism means it's all around. To me, that translate that i need to help them along the way, promote certain ideals, remove the bullshit and put great people around them. But i have to recognize to overwhelming nature of the bullshit and respect it.

I don't think, from talking to him, that anyone was malicious in creating bullshit around him. He just picked up on the idea. Maybe he identified with a kid and wanted to be like him. That's a normal response for kids and grown ups. I don't know. But over time, seeing my wife (she has dreads) and I, taking with him and being an example will have a bigger impact.

But good luck because parenting is the hardest job ever created.

Numb

happy-go-ducky.jpg

Happy Easter!

full

andthebeatgoeson

happy-go-ducky.jpg

Happy Easter!

Oh wow.

Thanks for sharing that.

My mouth is on the floor.

akira28

Good luck with your borderline impossible goal.

it may be impossible, but it is worthwhile. I don't see how the opinions and actions of their peers are in any way as important as common socializing will make them out to be. If my children would be able to recognize that all those fads and the approval from watching the same television and wearing the same clothes and shoes is not only meaningless but it slows down your progress, I would feel like I did something right as a parent.

akira28

The biggest thing we need to take away from those studies on the very young implying black means bad, is that systemic racism means it's all around. To me, that translate that i need to help them along the way, promote certain ideals, remove the bullshit and put great people around them. But i have to recognize to overwhelming nature of the bullshit and respect it.

man you're actually scaring me, lol.

This won't happen, they will always cherish their peers' opinions if not more than, then as equally as yours.

see the thing is as an adult I recognize how worthless my peers opinions were, and if I can in anyway impart that to my children, I will try. Just value themselves and their dreams and hopes more than trying to be accepted by people who probably won't even remember them in a decade or more. I knew some kids that were like that growing up, they were labelled as weird. weaponized peer pressure.

and my belief is kids bring that stuff to school from home in the first place, then it just festers. calling people bamas for not having the expensive shoes, or not having a certain kind of hair style, or certain types of clothes. kids aren't born like that, but they will bring that mess home from school like a nasty virus.

andthebeatgoeson

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...esident-phil-jackson-comments-carmelo-anthony

Michele Roberts, the National Basketball Players Association executive director, criticized Phil Jackson over comments the New York Knicks president made about Carmelo Anthony.

"We voiced with the Commissioner today our view on the inappropriate comments by Knicks President Phil Jackson," Roberts said in a statement. "If players under contract cannot, under threat of league discipline, speak openly about their desire to be employed elsewhere, we expect management to adhere to the same standards. The door swings both ways when it comes to demonstrating loyalty and respect."

Jackson told reporters Friday that he will continue to explore trade options for Carmelo Anthony, saying the All-Star forward "would be better off somewhere else."

Thank you. I've been hating Phil Jackson more and more. He has been doing a terrible job with Melo and i hope he gets fired.

It's tough. My oldest has a period where he thought he was white. Couldn't understand that his hair wouldn't grow long and straight. He wanted to relax it at age 10. We wearing skinny jeans and things didn't look right. Wife told me to let him be and he's turned into this other person in a few years.

I don't think, from talking to him, that anyone was malicious in creating bullshit around him. He just picked up on the idea. Maybe he identified with a kid and wanted to be like him. That's a normal response for kids and grown ups. I don't know. But over time, seeing my wife (she has dreads) and I, taking with him and being an example will have a bigger impact.

But good luck because parenting is the hardest job ever created.

A black cat is bad luck,
bad guys wear black,
must have been a white guy who started all that.

- MC Serch

akira28

i just need to raise a few young gritty haters. they'll only listen to music made before 1997, and instead of a first word they will have their first gas face.

Izuna

Banned
My daughter (it'll be a girl) will be raised as either a Buttercup or Blossom (hopefully the latter). If I end up with a Bubbles, then my wifey will be happy and I'll use that happiness to make another one.

I got it all planned.

andthebeatgoeson

This won't happen, they will always cherish their peers' opinions if not more than, then as equally as yours.
Not true. You have to give them a reason to look up to you. A lot of people view their parent's in a positive light as time goes on. The teenage years are a tough time but a lot of people make it out okay. And the number of people who hated their parental guidance as a teen but utilize those lessons as parents are huge. But it's okay. Kids are meant to leave the house and grow so it's just practice for what's to come.
man you're actually scaring me, lol.

It's not for fear. I just think we need to acknowledge to large presence around us. We don't call it systemic racism or sexism or homophobia for no reason. It's interwoven in everything. It's why i had an initial reaction to skinny jeans. Skinny jeans are nothing but the young expressing themselves just as we did and our parents before us. But you could misread a lot into what kids do and yell at clouds but it's a part off life. You have a large responsibility to set the environment but your kids live in this world and are affected by it.

Bottom line: you love your kids and put a lot of effort into the environment, they'll more than likely turn out fine.

As a parent, you'll already worry. You've seen life and you'll think about them endlessly. That's a good chunk of what a kid needs to thrive. Someone wise who has already seen the bs and knows how to navigate.

For example, i live in a nice neighborhood with 30 percent black kids in the district. Now, i could move out to Cobb county, which is a little closer to redneckville and buy a bigger house for cheaper with, maybe a better school but less minorities.

Or stay put. In a district that has proven they do not tolerate bullying. That had a black superintendent. That had a black principal for the middle school. That won't mean mug you because you're​ black. That will more likely allow my two black boys to walk without suspicion. Yeah, I'm going to stay here and maybe suffer a commute for my kid's well-being.

And being a parent is great. They'll love you forever and hopefully take care of you when you're old. They'll hug you for no reason and always ask you questions because they believe you know everything. They'll melt your heart.

Off to Easter brunch. Y'all be easy. And hug someone you love.

And fuck Golden State.

Izuna

Banned
I got Chinese food and a sausage for Easter

not all bad, I got to tell a bedtime story over Skype about a Bunny called Leslie who wanted the Easter Bunny eggs for herself

my life sounds weird if I'm honest about it...

Not true. You have to give them a reason to look up to you. A lot of people view their parent's in a positive light as time goes on. The teenage years are a tough time but a lot of people make it out okay. And the number of people who hated their parental guidance as a teen but utilize those lessons as parents are huge. But it's okay. Kids are meant to leave the house and grow so it's just practice for what's to come.

It's not for fear. I just think we need to acknowledge to large presence around us. We don't call it systemic racism or sexism or homophobia for no reason. It's interwoven in everything. It's why i had an initial reaction to skinny jeans. Skinny jeans are nothing but the young expressing themselves just as we did and our parents before us. But you could misread a lot into what kids do and yell at clouds but it's a part off life. You have a large responsibility to set the environment but your kids live in this world and are affected by it.

Bottom line: you love your kids and put a lot of effort into the environment, they'll more than likely turn out fine.

As a parent, you'll already worry. You've seen life and you'll think about them endlessly. That's a good chunk of what a kid needs to thrive. Someone wise who has already seen the bs and knows how to navigate.

For example, i live in a nice neighborhood with 30 percent black kids in the district. Now, i could move out to Cobb county, which is a little closer to redneckville and buy a bigger house for cheaper with, maybe a better school but less minorities.

Or stay put. In a district that has proven they do not tolerate bullying. That had a black superintendent. That had a black principal for the middle school. That won't mean mug you because you're​ black. That will more likely allow my two black boys to walk without suspicion. Yeah, I'm going to stay here and maybe suffer a commute for my kid's well-being.

And being a parent is great. They'll love you forever and hopefully take care of you when you're old. They'll hug you for no reason and always ask you questions because they believe you know everything. They'll melt your heart.

Off to Easter brunch. Y'all be easy. And hug someone you love.

And fuck Golden State.

Dude,

I've raised 3 of my own to adulthood and a few others that weren't biologically mine. you are living in fantasy land. Yes, they love you. Yes, they look up to you and yes you can fill them full of all the values that you want but truthfully they really do care what Mary and Bill from school think and you can't change that. it's part of growing up. Now what they do about Mary and Bill you have some control over but if you think you're keeping them from really caring then you are fooling yourself. You'll learn though.

Faustek

What are your computer specs?

Poor thing have served me well but it feels like we're nearing the end of our journey.

And finally they'll be grown up, away from home and in about 10 years they'll realise that they where stupid and should have listened to their parents more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom