• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT18| - Ma-ma-ma-MAXIMUM! Haram Achieved

Status
Not open for further replies.
And each phone is made for $5.

You alright man? Stay safe yeah.
They use the highest recycled iphones using their brand new robotic disassemble of past phones arm. That they only have em in China so they can save money by putting them back on the ship back for efficiency. And they don't cost $5 I think they got the cost down to $200ish dollars

Beefy

They use the highest recycled iphones using their brand new robotic disassemble of past phones arm. That they only have em in China so they can save money by putting them back on the ship back for efficiency. And they don't cost $5 I think they got the cost down to $200ish dollars

I was on about the labour which is $5 a phone, Apple are so fucking scummy, I watched a programme about the shit they do to make sure they get the biggest profit. The shit they get away with, like the illegal recycling of gold (aka getting poor people to pick through rubbish dumps at the risk of getting cancer).

Izuna

Banned
I remember in Chemistry class where I said Cobalt was my favourite element (and colour). Been that way since adolescence. Now there's darkness revolved around it...

Video reminds me of Minecraft tho

Izuna

Banned
Fairer trade should help this situation. I'm sure those people would buy better equipment and improve working conditions if they could afford to. Such a job should pay better. Perhaps, there are small corruptions going on that the government isn't touching/benefiting from whereby the Cobalt is sold for a price that doesn't reach the miners.

At the same time, I imagine that the mentions companies help fund research for alternative batteries that do not require Cobalt.

Of course, I'm making all of this up, but I'm sure these debates happen all the time among those involved.

Was reading this just yesterday. Not new news, but worth posting for this topic.

My man works hard for the money. Let him enjoy that 5 dollar fame. He'll work out how to capitalize on it exponentially and shake worlds.

Too add to that, you see this post?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/grap.../congo-cobalt-mining-for-lithium-ion-battery/

The small clip alone is crazy dangerous. But how do we as consumers even combat this, all the shit the majority of these big corp shady companies do just to provide us with the latest tech, while people lose lives over it cause they have no other choice of making money.

I was on about the labour which is $5 a phone, Apple are so fucking scummy, I watched a programme about the shit they do to make sure they get the biggest profit. The shit they get away with, like the illegal recycling of gold (aka getting poor people to pick through rubbish dumps at the risk of getting cancer).
The sheer amount of things Apple does that no one else can get away with is crazy. Yet they worry about other companies doings. I still don't believe that Apple will bring their money back into the US with a Drumpf deal simply because they don't spend that shit. They basically make money disappear from the global economy. Do everything possible to get it all then never use it because you technically (you can't buy any company of note for billions because of regulations) can't because you have too much of it. So why bother trying to get more?

zeemumu

You alright man? Stay safe yeah.
Hope it's nothing too serious/stay strong zeemumu.

cmf7hDd.gif

Try to stay strong, fam.
The KFC near my office is great
because it has a Taco Bell in it
What it is, dawg?

Penny for your thoughts?
You okay, man?
giphy.gif

That's better

Hope things turn up, bud.

You alright, homie?

What's happening?

Thanks everyone. Nah it's nothing serious. I've been awake for a while (even though it's only noon) and it's been nothing but bad news all day and I'm beyond running on times by this point, I'm pushing the car up the hill, so I'm not really in any condition to work on recurrence relations or time complexity and it feels like I'm getting progressively dumber. Browsed Facebook and the happy life filter made it worse. I need time to regroup.

D i Z

https://www.washingtonpost.com/grap.../congo-cobalt-mining-for-lithium-ion-battery/

The small clip alone is crazy dangerous. But how do we as consumers even combat this, all the shit the majority of these big corp shady companies do just to provide us with the latest tech, while people lose lives over it cause they have no other choice of making money.

Not an easy nut to crack. But if anyone has a problem with any of the steps (four notable, the mining without proper compensation, the Chinese stranglehold on purchasing minerals and entire geographic regions for practically nothing, the reliance on these minerals for vanity products, or the consumerism out of control that fuels it all.) Then just don't buy in and encourage others to follow.

Edited to add that pressuring companies in this daisy chain to pony up should be the goal. These miners are giving up their only resources for practically nothing. They would do it at any rate offered, but it shouldn't be that way.

Wow, I am falling the fuck apart today

I hope you're able to get some time to sit or walk and get it out. Best thing for it.

I'm convinced he's the most hated poster on the forum, and this nigga just got here lol..

People hate LionPride that bad? He's light. People would be clawing their own hearts out and eating them if Devo came back, or if this forum was anything like when I joined at all. Half of new GAF would jump ship for 4chan, screaming and shitting their pants and gnashing their teeth.

Faustek

We can't. We're fucked because the mass of people are stupid.
Example.
HM is celebrated because they used a transgender Woman in their ads
Meanwhile HM is using child labour.
One thing is good and that's what people want to remember and not having someone calling them out for their bullshit.

Well at least Sony, Apple and Microsoft started "randomly" visiting these sites to at least make sure no kids are there.

Half of new GAF would jump ship for 4chan, screaming and shitting their pants and gnashing their teeth.

That I don't get. I mean I do love their /vr/ and /vg/ board but even those are getting infected from time to time by /pol/. So these people that just want to talk about games and nothing else are lying to themselves if they think 4chan is better.

Mrs. Draper ;(

so after Madmen, I should watch The Wire, right?
Live action TV in order of importance to watch

Roseanne
Community
Legends of the Hidden Temple
Birds of Prey
Secret life of Alex Mack
Raising Hope
Better Off Ted
Dead Like Me
The first season of The L Word
The first season of The Big C
Pretty Little Liars
Seinfeld if the year you're in is before 2003
Ghostwriter

Faustek

Roseanne
Community
Birds of Prey
Secret life of Alex Mack
Raising Hope
Better Off Ted
Dead Like Me
Pretty Little Liars
Ghostwriter

Man, I liked better off Ted.

Izuna

Banned

Roseanne
Community
Birds of Prey
Secret life of Alex Mack
Raising Hope
Better Off Ted
Dead Like Me
Pretty Little Liars
Ghostwriter

man.. I've only seen Community (up until it got shit)

caliph95

Roseanne
Community
Birds of Prey
Secret life of Alex Mack
Raising Hope
Better Off Ted
Dead Like Me
Pretty Little Liars
Ghostwriter
Why is Better off Ted there

D i Z

I've dabbled in that list, but I would scratch damn near everything off it.
Some of the better ones shouldn't be in anyone's next to view, just shit that you can get to whenever.

Not an easy nut to crack. But if anyone has a problem with any of the steps (four notable, the mining without proper compensation, the Chinese stranglehold on purchasing minerals and entire geographic regions for practically nothing, the reliance on these minerals for vanity products, or the consumerism out of control that fuels it all.) Then just don't buy in and encourage others to follow.

Edited to add that pressuring companies in this daisy chain to pony up should be the goal. These miners are giving up their only resources for practically nothing. They would do it at any rate offered, but it shouldn't be that way.

I probably add to the problem with all the electronics I have due to my field of work, but one thing I always refused to do was convert gas to electric (cars) or even touch electric cars. I know for a fact BMW and Fiat uses the Cobalt from those types of mines with child labour. These companies use third parties to handle their business to try and be less involved with no liability and the unnamed parties are the equally shitty ones in this occasion.

We can't. We're fucked because the mass of people are stupid.
Example.
HM is celebrated because they used a transgender Woman in their ads
Meanwhile HM is using child labour.
One thing is good and that's what people want to remember and not having someone calling them out for their bullshit.

Well at least Sony, Apple and Microsoft started "randomly" visiting these sites to at least make sure no kids are there.

I got fired from H&M in my college days after their child labor cotton articles came out, among other things.
But they were really trying to smear me when I kept going on about their clothing being made from child slave labour.
Its ridiculous how many people talk about jobs being stolen but its the companies that want the cheap, illegal labour.

D i Z

I probably add to the problem with all the electronics I have due to my field of work, but one thing I always refused to do was convert gas to electric (cars) or even touch electric cars. I know for a fact BMW and Fiat uses the Cobalt from those types of mines with child labour. These companies use third parties to handle their business to try and be less involved with no liability and the unnamed parties are the equally shitty ones in this occasion.

I got fired from H&M in my college days after their child labor cotton articles came out, among other things.
But they were really trying to smear me when I kept going on about their clothing being made from child slave labour.
Its ridiculous how many people talk about jobs being stolen but its the companies that want the cheap, illegal labour.

When Trump and his people get what they want, they'll be strip mining the shit out of U.S national resources to undercut China's momentum. It'll be the same thing happening in the US with these idiots already desperate to mine coal for a pittance. Labor is going to be even cheaper around the world for mineral miners. Shits been rough, but it's about to hit a whole other level.

D i Z

Somehow I didn't find out it was a DC show for years.

DC wouldn't put that shit in the list of accomplishments. They'd pretend it never happened and won't revisit it again out of fear that it will be brought up.

They couldn't pull that kind of show of back then. Even now, they'd fuck it up.

Faustek

I like you.

But yes, putting pressure on the companies is the only thing we can do. Thankfully we're seeing that in the IT sector around the world how they are going green because the costumers, gen-x/millennials/y/z demands that. Hopefully we'll manage that without impacting the environment badly.

Slayven

DC wouldn't put that shit in the list of accomplishments. They'd pretend it never happened and won't revisit it again out of fear that it will be brought up.

Still better than gotham

zeemumu

Didn't Mark Hamill lend his voice to the Joker in that?

Yeah he did. Tara Strong also lended her voice for Harley in Arrow

So like what Marvel did with the first Captain America?

D i Z

Still better than gotham

Gotham has talent on the show tho. I can't ride with a lie. BoP can't wash the stink off. It's terrible.

Yeah he did. Tara Strong also lended her voice for Harley in Arrow

So like what Marvel did with the first Captain America?

The first Marvel movies are like the 70's-80's tv shows. They don't ever count as successes or failures in that regard because Marvel doesn't run away from using the same characters when they have a chance to do them right.
They haven't been as reliant on one character as DC has either, and hasn't had to retcon with every outing like DC does.

Nudull

Banned
Remember when Birds of Prey gave Catwoman superpowers?

Remember when Birds of Prey let Barbara Gordon magically science her way out of being physically disabled whenever it's convenient?

Remember when Birds of Prey blueballed each and every one of you with teases of Batman?

Izuna

Banned
What happened with Dexter was like someone wearing your underwear to a workout and a curry dinner before tucking it into the back of your clean clothes pile.

I'm not experienced enough to know the nuances of these two examples. They're both just gross to me.

D i Z

I'm not experienced enough to know the nuances of these two examples. They're both just gross to me.

Stick around for an education bubble boy. The worst insults are the ones that people never speak of. You'd be amazed at the shit that people live through in sub optimal conditions.
Btw, what's your new avi from? That looks like the kind of thing I used to see on the Paramount lot back when.

Izuna

Banned
I swear Peggy is gaining weight on set.

Now I'm wondering if it's intentional.

edit: it's Mrs. Draper (Madmen) shooting at the pigeons from next door in retaliation because her kids aren't allowed to play outside with the dog anymore, haha. Had me laughing for minutes straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom