• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

Onemic

I've never had it happen to me personally but I've heard it first hand from some of my (black) friends. I always find it funny when topics are made on GAF about the subject of people not wanting to date people in x minority group (usually involving black people) and the people are called out as being racist and some posters respond "No it's their personal preference", as if excluding an entire group of people from your dating pool based on skin tone is on the same level as "I prefer my steak well done".

The usual argument to support that is, "Well do you like to date fat chicks? No? Well it's the same thing, just personal preference, it's not like you hate fat people."

Honestly my opinion on it is, if you exclude yourself from dating anyone simply based on their race and nothing else, I am 99% sure you're a racist on some level. I have yet to meet one person irl who has that opinion of x race and wasn't prejudice/racist towards that group in some way. One of my ex-friends spouted that shit saying I would never date a black dude while I was in the room, and I was just done. Not to mention she's pretty much terrified of black guys and always thinks they're gonna rob and kill her or something. Whenever we went into the blacker neighborhoods, she would always want me to come with her as I would somehow be able to repel the potential black criminals with my blackness.

Kreed

The usual argument to support that is, "Well do you like to date fat chicks? No? Well it's the same thing, just personal preference, it's not like you hate fat people."

Honestly my opinion on it is, if you exclude yourself from dating anyone simply based on their race and nothing else, I am 99% sure you're a racist on some level. I have yet to meet one person irl who has that opinion of x race and wasn't prejudice/racist towards that group in some way. One of my ex-friends spouted that shit saying I would never date a black dude while I was in the room, and I was just done. Not to mention she's pretty much terrified of black guys and always thinks they're gonna rob and kill her or something. Whenever we went into the blacker neighborhoods, she would always want me to come with her as I would somehow be able to repel the potential black criminals with my blackness.

And that comparison to fat people is always messed up because being overweight is a negative thing vs having a different skin tone.

RedSwirl

Just yesterday in the car my parents were going over this with me, acting like they were trying to figure out what race I would choose. I think they were worried because where we live has a low population of blacks and a high population of Koreans. Couldn't utter a word to them.

Asian parents in general want their kids to date/marry within their race or go white.

It's not seen as better or worse to get with a white person, just different. Like choosing between squirtle and charmander, both solid choices. Unfortinately all other races seem to be goldeens or some shit.

My gf's mom wasn't exactly thrilled when she introduced her to her goldeen. She has gotten over it, but even at the time I didn't care much. I wasn't in the business of trying to change people's minds so I could date their daughters.

I only date Black women w00t

220px-Carlos-Smith.jpg

zero_suit

Asian parents in general want their kids to date/marry within their race or go white.

It's not seen as better or worse to get with a white person, just different. Like choosing between squirtle and charmander, both solid choices. Unfortinately all other races seem to be goldeens or some shit.

My gf's mom wasn't exactly thrilled when she introduced her to her goldeen. She has gotten over it, but even at the time I didn't care much. I wasn't in the business of trying to change people's minds so I could date their daughters.

LMAO

So terrible, yet so funny.

Onemic

replace goldeen with magikarp

Slayven

I knew this one black chick that would respond to the question would she ever date a white man, "No I would not disrespect my father like that." I found that hilarious.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Wow. If this doesn't earn you a tag--I just don't know. LMFAO.

Slayven

The creepshot thread is all I thought it would be. I wish I had a program that would compare the posts in there to relationship, women problem threads. I am sure the results would be glorious.

Some people want women to restrict themselves, they really must not go out if they think the answer to creeps is that women not wear yoga pants and keep to themselves. It's really only harming what they're allowed to see and do. I dress pretty conservatively, still get that creeper stare, doesn't really matter what you wear out of the house.

The creepshot thread is all I thought it would be. I wish I had a program that would compare the posts in there to relationship, women problem threads. I am sure the results would be glorious.

usually it takes longer for a thread to go full out, but the first page of that thread... wow. i should catch up to see how far it went.

Slayven

Some people want women to restrict themselves, they really must not go out if they think the answer to creeps is that women not wear yoga pants and keep to themselves. It's really only harming what they're allowed to see and do. I dress pretty conservatively, still get that creeper stare, doesn't really matter what you wear out of the house.

Same dudes that get mad when women don't through themselves at them or want to have normal conversation with a person with a minimal of social skills.

Same dudes that get mad when women don't through themselves at them or want to have normal conversation with a person with a minimal of social skills.

They're also under the impression that attractive guys can get away with a certain amount of creepiness. Creepiness in general is an alarm bell that goes off in your head about how much this guy is willing to respect your boundaries. It's rarely a "but he's so handsome I'll forgive him" moment when you realize a guy you know or out in the street is basically a pervert. It will make you uneasy.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Kind of amazing when you have to explain to people why taking unsolicited photos of someone's ass may make said person a bit uncomfortable.

Sheesh I just read through that thread, they all gotta be virgins there is no other explaination

A.E Suggs

I don't know, don't you kinda have to have hate for someone to be racist? I've always been confused somewhat by this as well as the color of someone's skin can affect how attractive you view someone. Well I guess you did cover it as you did say race and nothing else, it just unfortunate that black and white people had to be the color of their race I guess.

Top Bottom