• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

As someone who literally had to live on the street for a while as a kid, people talking about fast food being 'struggle food' is a good source of laughs for the evening. Unless you've ever had to remember to line up earlier enough to get bread along with your soup, you're not eating struggle food. Struggle food is eating a slice of bread for fucking dinner, not hot dogs in ramen. That's just bad cooking.

Semantics really. But I totally get how you could see other people's struggle entrees and have a good laugh.

HomShaBom

Banned
As someone who literally had to live on the street for a while as a kid, people talking about fast food being 'struggle food' is a good source of laughs for the evening. Unless you've ever had to remember to line up earlier enough to get bread along with your soup, you're not eating struggle food. Struggle food is eating a slice of bread for fucking dinner, not hot dogs in ramen. That's just bad cooking.
t4aEf.jpg

iavi

Baked beans with a hotdog cut up and thrown in the pot has been my struggle food since leaving the home nest. Back then it was tuna. Sometimes without mayo.

Can I still call it struggle food if I actually prefer it to other better sounding dishes some nights? It's working that well, atm.

My mom used to mix eggs, bacon, and hot dogs in the top ramen. I thought that shit was disgusting.

Grilled cheese has always been my struggle food of choice.. Bonus points if dad made it, cause that meant getting fried bologna in that bitch.

My dude I think we need to go the past and set setup the younger version of you a paypal account & sign that says, "Brothas & Sistas, I need to stop eating that struggle food, allow a nigga to have that good shit once in awhile and donate to this hungry young brotha?"

cmon man everybody knows the 2K drop day is one of the black video game holidays.
along w/ Madden, Grand Theft Auto and MAHVEL.

you ain't lyin'.

Back in high school.. I told the teachers it would be 2K Day and my friend wouldn't be there.

EDIT: Twitter trend: #2K13 The pregnancy rate will drop for a couple of weeks due to the release of #2k13.
EDIT: Gamestop right beside of the Goodwill store... shits got me rollin', b

I would say you were eating survival food. To say it was a struggle would kind of deminish the hardships you went through.

A.E Suggs

I went to the RE6 midnight release and boy was there way to many people, I think I was also the only black guy around. It was cool though our malls gamestop always has games and raffles for crap and I won a free black ps3 controller.

ReiGun

My dude I think we need to go the past and set setup the younger version of you a paypal account & sign that says, "Brothas & Sistas, I need to stop eating that struggle food, allow a nigga to have that good shit once in awhile and donate to this hungry young brotha?
Fried bologna and grilled cheese is delicious. I don't care what anyone says.

BHZ Mayor

...I think Caesar's is OK. Just OK.

I'm kind of afraid of what you all think about frozen pizzas, lol

I ate a bunch of those 80 cent pizzas as a kid. That or *bleck* MaMa Rosa's.

Frozen pizzas are cool. I'm actually a fan of Tombstone and Red Baron. Digourno's and pizzas in that price tier are ok too. Totino's and Mama Rosa's however, are shit.

GAF is just tired of certain types blasting Madden from their rap cars, clogging the lines at the local gamestop to get RosterUpdate13 and taking precious time they could be spending with a real game: Resident Evil 6.

Shit my dad used to go to the soup kitchen line to get lunch lol. I remember standing in the government food line to get our weekly cheese, butter, shitty peanut butter, bread and powdered milk rations.

Slayven

Shit my dad used to go to the soup kitchen line to get lunch lol. I remember standing in the government food line to get our weekly cheese, butter, shitty peanut butter, bread and powdered milk rations.

Or to a church and getting abox full of packages that was all white with just the name of the shit on that? Government cheese toast is good eating.

I haven't had Little Ceasers in 20 years (literally) so I just don't know. I get Pizza Hut most of the time because we always end up with a bunch of coupons for it, but right now I actually prefer this local joint called Paisano's. The wings there aren't nearly as good a Pizza Hut's but whatever.

Actually, on the subject, on the list of boneless buffalo wings that come on the side with other food, where do you stand? Off the top of my head I gotta go with Champps > Applebees > everything else.

fuck boneless

ReiGun

the wings that have 2 bones are better than the small drumstick style ones. fuck tiny drumsticks with all their weird non-meat shit.

Man, I don't know if I can be seen with y'all in this here thread.

Heh I never thought of Hawkgirl as caucasian considering she's from the planet Thanagar and all...
Her voice actress was latina, if I recall. So that's what I always think of her as.

Gattsu25

Banned
I would eat a small cup of Wendy's chili (with a few packets of crackers) for an entire day. That and as much water as I could drink out of water fountains.

I would work small jobs (mowing someone lawn for them, cleaning someone's pool, etc.) and that would usually net me enough money to eat for a week or so. What hurt the most was one fucking lady that had my clean her pool, pull up the weeds from her garden, mow her lawn, and then when it comes time to get paid he sends her husband out to give me $3 and force me off the property.

It's something that I don't talk about often and only one person outside of my family even knows that I went through all of that :\

So Wendy's chili was my struggle food and you know what? I still could've gone cheaper but that shit taste too damned good.

I would eat a small cup of Wendy's chili (with a few packets of crackers) for an entire day. That and as much water as I could drink out of water fountains.

So Wendy's chili was my struggle food and you know what? I still could've gone cheaper but that shit taste too damned good.

I regret to inform you Gattsu, Wendy's chili.. uses day old Hamburger meat to make their chili.

but it's all good doe

Top Bottom