• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

Slayven

How does black gaf feel about walking into mom and pops average joe cool barber shops without black people?

I've only done it twice and with mixed results. First time was some older asian dude who gave me one of the cleanest edge ups I've ever gotten. Wasn't going to test him further than that.

Second edge up was by a hispanic guy who had no clue what he was doing.

Ever since then I've just gone with me own color, but has anyone ever straight up went into a white owned barber shop with a mini fro or any decent length and had the balls to say, "hook me up with a ceasar, shadow fade me in the lower back and in the corners?"

I've half expected their response to be, "Sorry sir, but I don't fuck with dat."

There is a place here in town where chicks cut hair in low tops and daisy dukes. I am tempted to go there and asked "who can tighten up my fade?"

I was done after this time when I was a kid and walked into supercuts and the lady at the front told my mom "the person who cuts... (apologetically lowered voice) that kind of hair isn't here today."

when you think about it, she saved your hair from being fucked up by an untrained employee.

RedSwirl

Seems like a catch-22. Most people who want it done right will go to a black barber so these other barbers aren't getting any experience cutting black hair. No excuse to not make a go of it at least, since it's the customer's choice to have come to your store, which sounds like what most will do even if the results aren't great.

As I've explained multiple times, it sucks more when you live two cities away from the closest black barbershop. The major chain around here seems to be Hair Cuttery, for which I've seen at least one TV advertisement with an all-black cast. Maybe they know the problem and are trying to address it? Still, virtually every barbershop around here (and there are quite a few) is asian-run.

Actually, in my experience if you're just getting a skin fade you can probably have almost any professional barber do it. While living in Germany I had a Turkish guy do my hair and he was great, especially for how quick he was. When I came back I started out with a group of Mongolians (at least I think that's where they were from) working out of a PX and they were fine. My dad kept using them until very recently. I think they ended up hiring one black guy though.

Ever since I started growing out my hair though I've stayed black exclusive which is part of the vicious cycle. I gotta drive an hour to the nearest one which is why I let my hair grow out in the first place.

Gattsu25

Banned
I don't even understand the barbershop vernacular of white people.

"Oh, did you get a .5?"
"No, I got a low cut."

The fuck is a .5?

Nesotenso

As I've explained multiple times, it sucks more when you live two cities away from the closest black barbershop. The major chain around here seems to be Hair Cuttery, for which I've seen at least one TV advertisement with an all-black cast. Maybe they know the problem and are trying to address it? Still, virtually every barbershop around here (and there are quite a few) is asian-run.

Actually, in my experience if you're just getting a skin fade you can probably have almost any professional barber do it. While living in Germany I had a Turkish guy do my hair and he was great, especially for how quick he was. When I came back I started out with a group of Mongolians (at least I think that's where they were from) working out of a PX and they were fine. My dad kept using them until very recently. I think they ended up hiring one black guy though.

Ever since I started growing out my hair though I've stayed black exclusive which is part of the vicious cycle. I gotta drive an hour to the nearest one which is why I let my hair grow out in the first place.

I have always wondered how black people deal with it in small towns and cities in the midwest or anywhere else.
Also wanted to visit a black barbershop to see how it pans out.

Just got back from Argo, tell me why there was a trailer for an action movie starring Tyler mothafuckin' Perry!?!?

I thought Matthew Fox was good, but Perry was COMPLETELY unbelievable with all his tough guy line readings. What in the fuck were they thinking?

ReiGun

"Oh, did you get a .5?"
"No, I got a low cut."

The fuck is a .5?

I had this exact problem last time I had to get my hair cut. Was in a rush because I needed it cut for my mom's wedding. Ended up at this place run by two Asian brothers.

Me: I need a shape up and a low cut.

Barber: So....you want a .5, or 1, or a 1 3/4?

Me: ......dafuq?

lordmrw

I have never in my life gone to a barbershop. That probably just blew your fucking minds but there you go. Growing up my older brothers or my cousin cut my hair, which I'm sure my mom was tickled pink with seeing as how she didn't have to pay for barber visits. I started shaving my head bald around age 22 when I noticed I was going bald and haven't looked back.

Onemic

"Oh, did you get a .5?"
"No, I got a low cut."

The fuck is a .5?

Wat. How do you not know what a 0.5 is? Knowing the numbers is key to getting the perfect cut and is definitely not exclusive to white barbershops.

I usually don't go to my local black barbershop,(cut my own hair usually) but when I do I either ask for a 1.5 ceaser or a fade with a 2 on top and 1 on the sides. The numbers are just how low you want it.

Slayven

I had this exact problem last time I had to get my hair cut. Was in a rush because I needed it cut for my mom's wedding. Ended up at this place run by two Asian brothers.

Me: I need a shape up and a low cut.

Barber: So....you want a .5, or 1, or a 1 3/4?

Me: ......dafuq?

It breaks my heart that you advocate for KFC. For shame brother.

DominoKid

so i'm sure i've mentioned at some point on here that i've only ever met one of my grandparents (grandma, mom's side). well i'm visiting my aunt's house for fall break right now and she decides she wants to take some pictures of me. my mom starts crying after one of them because apparently i look just like my grandfather. which is cool and all except in my whole life (21 years) i've never actually seen my grandfather. pictures, videos, anything. my aunt pulls out a picture and goddamnit if i dont look like his clone.

fucking weird. its odd to be able to attach a face to the myth. i say myth because thats all he'll ever be to me. my oldest cousin (27) actually has a few memories of him before he died. but for me he's always been the mythical measuring stick that i could never live up to in my mom's eyes no matter what i do. and that makes sense now.

A.E Suggs

"Oh, did you get a .5?"
"No, I got a low cut."

The fuck is a .5?

I went into a white barbershop one time(think I was 15)he sat me down and picked up some scissors and said son, I don't even know where to begin with you. Was my first and last experience with one so I don't know what a .5 or anything is with them.

Kreed

Just got back from Argo, tell me why there was a trailer for an action movie starring Tyler mothafuckin' Perry!?!?

I thought Matthew Fox was good, but Perry was COMPLETELY unbelievable with all his tough guy line readings. What in the fuck were they thinking?

Originally Idris Elba was supposed to be in the role, but the studio decided to go with Tyler Perry because "Tyler Perry is one of the most significant entertainers in all of media.".

Elba’s rep had no comment, but Bill Block, CEO of QED International (District 9), which acquired the rights and the initial script by Kerry Williamson and Patterson late last year (and hired Marc Moss, who worked on the previous Cross films, to refine it for Perry and Cohen), just filled us in: “When we came on, we looked at it freshly, and just built it from the bottom up,” he tells EW. “Sure, Idris is a great actor; Tyler Perry is a phenomenon. Tyler Perry is one of the most significant entertainers in all of media. He is a huge cross-media talent and presence — and he’s a terrific actor whose range is going to be shown here. You’re going to see Tyler Perry like you haven’t seen him. He’s 6’5″, he is a linebacker. He is an awesome physical presence and is just going to tear it apart here. It’s an intense, dramatic role.” Block says the film — “a kickass, crusading action picture” — will be the first of several Alex Cross films. “This is going to be the new Tyler Perry franchise, a worldwide one,” he says. “That’s the other thing: Tyler Perry is going to take this to the worldwide audience. It’s just a very different, much bigger opportunity.” (It’s worth noting that Block was, in fact, phoning us as he arrived at the airport, about to fly to the European Film Market in Berlin to sell global distribution rights.) “We went to him,” Block says. “If you can get Tyler Perry or Will Smith, you try.”

http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/02/01/tyler-perry-alex-cross-idris-elba/

I was done after this time when I was a kid and walked into supercuts and the lady at the front told my mom "the person who cuts... (apologetically lowered voice) that kind of hair isn't here today."

To be fair, I'd rather them just say that than to 'see what happens'. My brother tried Supercuts one day and came out looking like Bart Simpson. That day I vowed never to step foot in any of those stores.

Wat. How do you not know what a 0.5 is? Knowing the numbers is key to getting the perfect cut and is definitely not exclusive to white barbershops.

Best decision I ever made was when I was a freshman in high school. Bought clippers for $25 and have been shaving it all off for the past 16 years.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Imagine if tyler just used his studie to produce that film and then put idris as the leading man. It would be cool as hell cause it would be a win/win. Tyler would get the money and people would go to see this movie with Idris as the lead.

I mean if (when) this flops its going to lead to a whole new round of articles and analyst questioning if an African American male leads in films can be successful if they don't include Denzel or Will Smith.

Hey guys!

Thought I might as well introduce myself, names Grimey. Been lurking for a minute and decided to join in seeing as I like the community here.
A new guy, eh?

vXMa1.png

"What you got on my 40, Grimey?"

I plan on feasting on gallons of bigot tears next month.

Speaking of tears, my new worker got an old-fashioned, Bay Maximus welcome to the office. The kid is smart, I'll give him that. After I went on my first rant about whites/the south he said nothing and wouldn't even look my way. Even when I tried to bait him by having Fox News on. After about an hour, I had to press the issue.

Me: "So you're from NC huh. You like NC?:"
Dude: "It's ok, there's definitely a lot of ignorant people out there (kid can see the bait), but they're not all like that."
Me: "I'm sure. You ever been to Waxhaw?"
Dude: "I haven't"
Me: "Right, well I haven't been to NC since I was 5. Some of those 'ignorant people' decided they didn't like my white father being married to my black mother and hung my mom. So don't fucking tell me what all people aren't like what." *stares at dude*
Dude: *stares straight at computer screen* ....

I said a ton of other crazy shit and one of my workers who is an ex-cop told him one of the most fucked up (fabricated though) cop stories I have ever heard. I also made another worker, (who was in on it) change the TV if it went 20 mins without showing a black person. We were going to haze him the whole day but I made the call to stop after a few hours due to the kid just locking the fuck up and not talking to anyone. It still took him a few hours to start talking to us. We're all good now.

Do not try this at home; the ONLY reason we got away with it is because of where we work.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
It doesn't count, you sat way in the back.
Nah, I usually sit around mid-field. Far enough in front that the performer can be enraged by the flash of pink, but not so close that he (or everyone else) can actually start using me as part of the act.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I plan on feasting on gallons of bigot tears next month
5U7rw.giff
I also made another worker change the TV if it went 20 mins without showing a black person.We were going to haze him the whole day but I made the call to stop after a few hours due to the kid just locking the fuck up and not talking to anyone.
lmao, too good. I feel bad for that kid though. Did you let him know it was all a joke?

Top Bottom