• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

Gorillaz

agreed. He has had his moments

but the death of bernie mac and Patrice O'neal . In addition to Chapelle's retirement has set comedy back by decades.

Chappelle is pretty much back, hes working on new material. Dude might have some problems getting back on TV due to the whole comedy central thing

FreeMufasa

Slayvens thread is funny. I get people don't understand Aizen but thirsty? "That guy is thirsty for pussy". People really can't figure it out?

Are these the same guys that go into threads and say shit like "who's Drake?"

Still, this is one thing I hate about the Gaf community and it goes on everywhere here. Instead of just not posting or looking shit up, they'd rather go on for pages saying now they don't understand. I saw it happen in the gaming side yesterday too.

abuC

Thinking of teaching English in Brazil or just traveling somewhere, hasn't been the best year for me, kind of need a major change of scenery. Outside of my family, there's nothing stopping me, no GF, no kids, I have no debt, been teaching myself Portuguese for the last few months and can blend in with locals in pretty much any country with brown folks (India and other parts of Asia being the exceptions).

Just need to get away for a bit, clear my mind.

Slayven

Wow GAF. This girl in ma psychology class told the whole class that her and her family are afraid of black people.

You should ahve told her to give you the names and addresses of her family so you could put them on the black do not disturb list.

I can't believe folks are getting mad at my thread. Like Big Mama use to say " a hit dog would holla".

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Slayven, you need to learn, apparently.

And again, I disagree. It doesn't matter if it isn't productive to the specific conversation the OP wanted to have. It is productive in teaching the OP a lesson so a big mess of confusion doesn't happen again.

LOL

BHZ Mayor

So what we have is basically the thread version of

Michael_Cera_DSC_1195J.jpg

"This script clearly says, 'black man'. And what exactly is dikku?

Gattsu25

Banned
I finished reading Master of the Mountain: Thomas Jefferson and His Slaves and it showed me how little I know about the US founding fathers.

Thomas Jefferson started off his political career as an abolitionist (working to end slavery) but changed his tune when it came to policy after he quietly noted that he was making a profit for each slave born into his possession. Publicly stating how slavery was a terrible blight on Americans yet working to increase his profits at home. Turning aside numerous requests to free his slaves (including an offer that would have abolished all of his debt), adding numerous lies to the public discourse in order to slow the abolitionist movement, and making his slavery problem go away by simply rebuilding his plantation so that visitors would never see the slaves toiling in his hidden fields or underneath the visible areas of his mansion.

Good read and it opened my eyes a bit :\

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
You should ahve told her to give you the names and addresses of her family so you could put them on the black do not disturb list.

I can't believe folks are getting mad at my thread. Like Big Mama use to say " a hit dog would holla".

I'm guessing that's a variant of "throw a rock into a pack of dogs, and the one that gets hit hollers"? Well, I guess you threw a lot of stones, because they are screaming.

Slayven

I'm guessing that's a variant of "throw a rock into a pack of dogs, and the one that gets hit hollers"? Well, I guess you threw a lot of stones, because they are screaming.
Pretty much.

Dy trying to upstage me because I joked on his preg game. Crabs in a bucket.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Pretty much.

Dy trying to upstage me because I joked on his preg game. Crabs in a bucket.

Speaking of pregnant women...

So she asked me to move in right? I replied "no - because lol, i like living with no financial obligations beyond my phone and internet bill. also, not going down because of things at work". All good. No surprise rage, no coming to my place and seeing who I'm with, etc. Too easy. I even called her from a strip club I was at on Saturday > no issues at all.

Hits me up after I get back from Gatesville, TX aka Lynchville, USA and she didn't lose a step.

What I was referring to before though about the "she hit me with the lifestorythatididnotwanttohear" was her laying down with me and watching a bad movie while telling me what all she'd been doing for the past 2-3 years. Long story short, junior olympic swimmer, husband walked out on her, rare case of female with combat unit, rape, crazy family (but she knows it) and....... she's actually dealing with her shit. Which is mindblowing. Its like I'm staring straight at the personified difference between "Baggage vs Drama"

Also, I fucking hate when women ask me "Why are you still single?" Seething rage broods within me.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Got to the olympic swimmer part and was intrigued, saw the rest was like damn...

Its actually really fucked up after that part. It completely explained the situation to me (and thank god I didn't have to ask because I really didn't want to). She was pregnant with her husband's kid 3 years ago - and she felt she had to get an abortion when he walked out on her. She had an abortion after she was raped. And at this point, she thinks she can't handle another one. So I'm like... "yeah, I completely understand ...and wow"

I did take Bish's advice and made it clear that I was going to put the ball in her court. I absolutely refuse to lead this woman on. So when she asked me over to her place that day, I made it as clear and blunt as I could that I'd go at her pace to see where this goes and whenever something became an issue, I'd make it known on the spot. She's already got her own plan so its not like she's banking on me.

Its actually really fucked up after that part. It completely explained the situation to me (and thank god I didn't have to ask because I really didn't want to). She was pregnant with her husband's kid 3 years ago - and she felt she had to get an abortion when he walked out on her. She had an abortion after she was raped. And at this point, she thinks she can't handle another one. So I'm like... "yeah, I completely understand ...and wow"

I did take Bish's advice and made it clear that I was going to put the ball in her court. I absolutely refuse to lead this woman on. So when she asked me over to her place that day, I made it as clear and blunt as I could that I'd go at her pace to see where this goes and whenever something became an issue, I'd make it known on the spot. She's already got her own plan so its not like she's banking on me.

Damn, that story is painful to read. But it's good to hear that she is trying to move on.

Props for handling this situation maturely.

Slayven

Mature handling of real shit? Is this Gaf?

For real, good to hear you and her are doing what's right for both of you.

whoa, whoa, whoa, hold up there... you're not supposed to take the good advice from a thread, you're supposed to ignore it and make a terrible decision then come back and tell everyone about the crazy thing you did to keep the thread going wild!

harSon

Banned
Man, white people really perfected racism in the 30-50s. I was flicking through some channels last night, and a movie called Band of Angels was mislabeled as Rawhide due to Day Lights Savings... and that movie is something else. It's basically an attempt at recreating Gone with the Wind and that shit is every bit as racist.

There's a scene where the plantation owners come back home after a long hiatus, and the slaves just break out into song and dance because they're excited Master is back... skipping and jiving across the plantation. There was one slave going HAM, dude was leading the pack, shucking and jiving like a motherfucker. The blatant racism in these movies are just funny as fuck at this point.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Yeah it's fucked to think about how I watched the fuck out of that movie as a kid and loved that bit then forgot all about it and never realised the imagery there until Paul Mooney brought it up.

Good old racist, anti-semetic Disney. Almost have a kind of nostalgia for the blatant shit cartoons pulled like Speedy Gonzales in favor of the sneaky stuff that goes on now.

PlayDat

Any of ya'll ever been the only black person in a class discussion about slavery? Made me hesitant to contribute since I was afraid I'd be making some white folks in the class guilty. Someone even threw out the "Don't forget slavery existed in Africa too!" line.

Any of ya'll ever been the only black person in a class discussion about slavery? Made me hesitant to contribute since I was afraid I'd be making some white folks in the class guilty. Someone even threw out the "Don't forget slavery existed in Africa too!" line.

"White people were slaves, too!" is another favorite

Yeah it's fucked to think about how I watched the fuck out of that movie as a kid and loved that bit then forgot all about it and never realised the imagery there until Paul Mooney brought it up.

Good old racist, anti-semetic Disney. Almost have a kind of nostalgia for the blatant shit cartoons pulled like Speedy Gonzales in favor of the sneaky stuff that goes on now.

"Now I be dun seen about EVERYTHING when I see an elephant fly!"

DominoKid

all the time. i usually abstain unless i get called on.

Not slave discussion, but for a lot of my lit classes the racist stuff in novels would always make at least one person look at me. Like if the white teacher says "nigger" or "negro," someone would do the dramatic turn to see if I was offended or not.

DominoKid

Not slave discussion, but for a lot of my lit classes the racist stuff in novels would always make at least one person look at me. Like if the white teacher says "nigger" or "negro," someone would do the dramatic turn to see if I was offended or not.

maaaaaaaaaaan...kids used to get their money's worth out of saying nigger in literature.
i forget what we were reading but for whatever reason the teacher decided to pass the paragraph in question off to one of the students.
kid gets to the word and asks "can i say it?" "sure it's for educational purposes"
*deepest inhale i've ever heard in my life* "NIGGER!!!!"

*classwide facepalm*

after that the teacher avoided any similar incidents

maaaaaaaaaaan...kids used to get their money's worth out of saying nigger in literature.
i forget what we were reading but for whatever reason the teacher decided to pass the paragraph in question off to one of the students.
kid gets to the word and asks "can i say it?" "sure it's for educational purposes"

*classwide facepalm*

Wow, :lol

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Yes, children's programming. *rubs hands together* We can't show any black people but lets portray them animal style by showing some crows dressed like bums singing about what "they dun seen".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHjFxJVeCQs
*deepest inhale i've ever heard in my life*
This is hilarious.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

*classwide facepalm*

lol

reminds me of Chris Rock. he leaned into that shit

Also, one of my favorite strategies in the academic context is to sit back, say nothing, look thoughtful, and try not to smile as I drink in the awkwardness of everybody else

nah, you can dart your eyes over here all you want, not getting any help from over here.

Slayven

Man, white people really perfected racism in the 30-50s. I was flicking through some channels last night, and a movie called Band of Angels was mislabeled as Rawhide due to Day Lights Savings... and that movie is something else. It's basically an attempt at recreating Gone with the Wind and that shit is every bit as racist.

There's a scene where the plantation owners come back home after a long hiatus, and the slaves just break out into song and dance because they're excited Master is back... skipping and jiving across the plantation. There was one slave going HAM, dude was leading the pack, shucking and jiving like a motherfucker. The blatant racism in these movies are just funny as fuck at this point.

They really did. Blackface was racist as hill, but they had some awesome comedic timing.

Top Bottom