• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

royalan

He's... actually not the only one. I had told another member of Pop-GAF not to call people "baboons" because of the racist implications (even if he didn't intend them) a few months ago, actually. Though for what it's worth, I think Kyon was being offensive out of ignorance and not out of malice.

If you read the last couple pages of the Pop-GAF thread, there's quite a bit of ignorance how black people have been portrayed as apes or monkeys (and how it is a common trope in racist imagery generally; the Japanese being portrayed as simian during WWII propaganda, for instance). Yes, it does require a spectacular amount of ignorance, but... I mean, it is Pop-GAF.

I wouldn't necessarily label it ignorance. I just think that certain measures of common sense should be applied to how words are used and in what context. If not we'd have to wipe out a significant portion of conversational language and terminology that has a basis in social/gender/racial discrimination.

harSon

Banned
I don't know if you'd guys would be interested, and you'll likely roll your eyes that I'm talking about it again, but I got an itch to write last night so I decided to compile all of my thoughts about race and cinema into a blog post. It's still a rough draft, and I'm likely to add more, but it's pretty content rich in its current form at about 4,400 words.

If you're interested in that kind of thing then definitely give it a comb over and feel free to respond.

Imm0rt4l

I'm a little surprised at how many young people are on that racist tumblr and facebook meltdown thread. Disappointing.

One of the guys who said he's looking to assassinate the president is attending my alma mater. Stay classy St. Cloud.

I'm a little surprised at how many young people are on that racist tumblr and facebook meltdown thread. Disappointing.

One of the guys who said he's looking to assassinate the president is attending my alma mater. Stay classy St. Cloud.

It's really saddening. I'm aware that the people on display aren't indicative of the entire population, but I would've hoped that stuff like this would've died down by now, or at the very least people would know that it isn't ok to say stuff like this. Obama's 2012.

Onemic

It's really saddening. I'm aware that the people on display aren't indicative of the entire population, but I would've hoped that stuff like this would've died down by now, or at the very least people would know that it isn't ok to say stuff like this. Obama's 2012.

I would've just hoped the people doing this shit were old dudes in their 40's or something so we can at least say there's been progress, instead of an overwhelming amount of teens and twenty-somethings.

Onemic

Lmfao

I've had mine hot combed plenty of times, and I never looked like a member of the mushroom kingdom. Dunno what's going on with Frederick E. Toadstool.

Its happened to me before. I've had the Bynum look sadly.

It happens when you don't get yourself lined up when you grow your hair. fros aren't naturally round and will go mushroom on you if you dont shape it up.

I would've just hoped the people doing this shit were old dudes in their 40's or something so we can at least say there's been progress, instead of an overwhelming amount of teens and twenty-somethings.

They've never had their worldview challenged. I mean honestly this is what happens when kids are only raised on media and not decency.

zero_suit

Nope, it's here to stay, unfortunately.

In 2012 race is an issue for people who want to focus on it. Of course, there are pockets of racism and there always will be.

KuGsj.gif

Zaph

The unemployed black woman thread is the best you guys.
It's pretty great, this nugget...
I think anyone who doesn't believe that more "anglo" sounding names aren't doing better, are nuts. However, I don't think it is because of racism but more of a cultural bias. I'm not saying it's right but it is there.
...is my favourite because it reminds me of home. My mum (who I love dearly) thinks just like this even though she gave birth to brown babies. I keep having to remind her if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's still racism.

Edit: Oh, and first post in this thread after months lurking. Hey all.

They 'know' better, they just don't give a damn. Obama's campaign might have acted as a catalyst for this sudden outpouring of prejudice, but it seems like it just gave them an overwhelming urge to speak their minds and fully embarrass themselves, instead of saying something that was 'kinda' racist.

I don't think that this type of casual racism will die out within our lifetimes, because kids will continue to pick it up from their elders and their peers. It's not as if kids only learn racist behavior through clear-cut, blatantly racist attitudes and ideas from their parents, their peers, or their environment. They learn to stereotype and form prejudices about others from the subtle stuff just as easily: the way that cultural and racial differences are coupled together and ridiculed together, the stereotypes that they pick up from the media, etc. Even naming and shaming racists, like the creator of that tumblr page set out to do, isn't entirely foolproof; by ridiculing these bigots, you're still introducing their bigoted beliefs to kids, even if it's contextualized as 'shit stupid racists say'. And unfortunately, all it takes are a few horror stories from personal experience or from friends and family to turn that idea into an internalized fact of life, and for personal anecdotes to trump reason and empathy towards our fellow human beings.

It takes a higher level of discipline than "do as I say, not as I do" to keep kids from taking racism casually, and from passing it along to others when they become adults. They need to be taught that shouldn't be defined or judged by their differences, or reduced to stereotypes - and it won't always stick if you tell them one thing, and society teaches them another thing entirely. But when people try to point this stuff out or explain the effect it has on these kids, and why these things need to change, they have to deal with a huge amount of backlash from other people who just don't want to deal with it. At best you get a few changes here and there, baby steps towards addressing the problems, but no drastic improvements. It may not be as overt as it used to be, or spread as much as it used to, but racism in the United States will probably stay at this level for some time to come.

While that tumblr will most likely accomplish what it set out to do, and most of the people on it will be ostracized from society at large if it catches on, people have a nasty habit of missing the point of stuff like this. It takes at least a little bit of reasoning to work out why these tweets are so blasted depressing, but I have a feeling that most of the people who take a look at that page will have a good laugh, forget about it in a few days, and then go on to do something ignorant on their own.

Plus, you all know damn well that half of those idiots on that damn tumblr are just going to dig their heels in, act even more blatantly racist, and develop a persecution complex to boot. And that's going to be insufferable once people start trying to play it off as no big deal.

Edit: wtf @ that unemployed black woman thread

Didn't we just have a thread on a similar subject a few weeks ago? And didn't people try to downplay the topic then too?

In 2012 race is an issue for people who want to focus on it. Of course, there are pockets of racism and there always will be.

KuGsj.gif

Pockets of racism in the pants of justice?

Pockets of racism in the pants of justice, held up by the suspenders of nepotism.

Which is great, because suspenders are like bootstraps for your pants that you can use to pull yourself up.

LowerLevel

They have black people in Maine?

Two of my old co-workers used to travel up there on weekend for the Russian women near Lewiston or Brunswick, I can't remember which. One in particular swears they only love the BBC around there. They used to try to get me to go with them a lot, but I am married... (sigh)

But, yes, there are a spattering of folk up there. NH and VT too in case you are wondering.

ReiGun

I think "Arrow" has the most black people I've seen on a CW show since "Girlfriends" and "Everybody Hates Chris" were cancelled.

Then, I don't watch very many CW shows, so hey.

Onemic

I think "Arrow" has the most black people I've seen on a CW show since "Girlfriends" and "Everybody Hates Chris" were cancelled.

Then, I don't watch very many CW shows, so hey.

EHC was cancelled? I thought that show ended properly? So many people loved that show.

ReiGun

EHC was cancelled? I thought that show ended properly? So many people loved that show.

I've always been unclear on how EHC ending went down. Rock says it ended at the right time because Chris in the show was about the same age as irl Chris was when he dropped out of school. But I also heard the network cut the show off, so it was gonna be over regardless. So idk.

Top Bottom