• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

Oh shit, you gave part time a yella track? I'm fucking dying over here

UuweX.gif

watching breaking bad right now season 4, really great stuff (dont spoil it for me!)

any other tv series running currently i should jump on?

dexter, walking dead, treme?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I am working on a minorities in speculative fiction thread. Anyone thing I should touch on?

Like where are all the fantasy settings based on cultures that aren't European or, to a lesser extent, Asian?

Or why Tolkien and Lewis were so racist?
I love their books so much

Or how come all the scifi set in the far flung future has like 90 percent white people? Are they just going to go to space and leave us on Earth?

Or why a nation of technologically advanced African people is harder to adapt for movies than a planet of alien space gods or a team of interstellar heroes that includes a talking tree and a machine gun shooting raccoon?

. . .

okay I need to step back a minute

Like where are all the fantasy settings based on cultures that aren't European or, to a lesser extent, Asian?

Or why Tolkien and Lewis were so racist?
I love their books so much

Or how come all the scifi set in the far flung future has like 90 percent white people? Are they just going to go to space and leave us on Earth?

Or why a nation of technologically advanced African people is harder to adapt for movies than a planet of alien space gods or a team of interstellar heroes that includes a talking tree and a machine gun shooting raccoon?

. . .

okay I need to step back a minute

Cosmic Slop - Space Traders

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Cyborg, Bishop, War Machine, Deathlok, Jax

At a stretch you could probably include Steel and Geordi LaForge for having cyborg-like appearances to some extent.

huh...that's ridiculous.

Well maybe it's just some link they tied to black men and machinery.

and black men and electricity apparently.
My dad had a theory that people didn't want strong black men in those positions without messing up their faces/image a bit. He formed this theory by watching Star Trek: TNG, where the only black dudes on ship had messed up faces.

I never quite bought into that one.

G-Fex

Hey there's Luke Cage, the power man, he's normal looking.

I think Falcon was normal looking too. Didn't have anything on his face.

akira28

I am working on a minorities in speculative fiction thread. Anyone thing I should touch on?

I remember finding some crazy good shit on fucking Usenet back in the day, black author, wrote a txt about a hacker who used his hacking knowledge to tweak his friend's biotechnology project to create an 0-ring level reboot for the human body, basically allowing him to consciously rewrite the firmware of the body. He infects himself with this synthetic virus, and it's basically IronMan Extremis before Ellis wrote it. Gives himself increased intelligence, perfect body, creates a sexually transmitted version that cures all diseases, and basically starts creating a new race of enhanced human. This is when the secret government gets involved, apparently they've already done this and plan to shut him down, etc. He left it with an open ending, but it could easily be a blockbuster movie.

Hrm, you could comb the Asimov and Fantasy and Science Fiction archives for good minority work. I'm so horrible with names though, I just plain don't remember them.

edit:
America is afraid that if they portray Wakanda too positively, Nigeria might get the wrong idea, annex the Congo and everything in between, and shut down all borders to the white man.

akira28

I think Mr. T driving around a bunch of multi-cultural ninjas, a crazy white lady, and his own mini-me, from one crime fighting adventure to the next, actually belongs in the non-fiction section, thanks.
KCv4R.jpg

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Yep.

Also, lightning seems to be a theme.

i forgot how hard that thread got. once holocaust denying was brought up, that ship began to sink

Magma is white. She was just in blackface during her first appearance.

wait, what? just looked it up, and shes from "nova roma" which happens to be in the amazon? jesus fuck.

Anyone know where I can get a good "Free my nigga __" shirt made? I need one for my boy Kal El.

why bother handcuffing someone who can break the chains like wet tissue paper?

Top Bottom