• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

Y'all killin it with the gifs, here's a few more

iAbflY0QC9Mtk.gif

invD2TrZjkPcv.gif

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
The gifs are great, I bow before you onemic.
Why do we as blacks have a huge issue with getting tested for hiv aids? I just don't understand how aid runs so prevalent in the African American community. Or how bros on the DL dont get tested and bring it back to there gfs/wifes
I just saw that episode of Law & Order SVU yesterday where Ice-T (Fin) has to play hardball on the dude to get him to confess about the poker game really being dudes on the DL.

lmao onemic
The gifs are great, I bow before you onemic. I just saw that episode of Law & Order SVU yesterday where Ice-T (Fin) has to play hardball on the dude to get him to confess about the poker game really being dudes on the DL.

Fin and Munch are the best characters on that show. They've got some of the best scenes, like when Munch pretended to be a crazy person to draw out a killer.

Munch: *acting like a crazy homeless man*
Stabler: Gotta admit, he does crazy good.
Fin: What are you talking about? It's the same crap he spouts every day, just louder.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
lmao onemic

Fin and Munch are the best characters on that show. They've got some of the best scenes, like when Munch pretended to be a crazy person to draw out a killer.

Munch: *acting like a crazy homeless man*
Stabler: Gotta admit, he does crazy good.
Fin: What are you talking about? It's the same crap he spouts every day, just louder.
Yeah they are my favorite characters on the show. They always do marathons with different themes but I wanna see a Fin & Munch marathon.

G-Fex

I remember hearing about the 'Spawn' movie.

That they had to cast white actors like Al Simmon's friend instead of black so it wouldn't be perceived as a 'black' film.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I don't know why, but the whole idea of only supporting black businesses just never felt right with me.

I know why people do it. I know that it works most of all. But... I don't know.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's another form of racism. It's trading one preference of race above all others for another.

It is

but at the same time, it DOES provide the gas that many black owned businesses need to get over the decades-old hurdle that is not going anywhere anytime soon.

I wish there were a better way to do help, but everything points to it being the most effective solution at the time.

PlayDat

I went to a non-black barbershop for the first time in my life today. Asked for a dark caesar and no one knew what I was talking about. Ended up asking for what they call a "one length" which looks pretty similar. I never get too fussy about my hair, but I don't like how my hairline looks. It's not as clearly defined as I usually get. To top it all off, the haircut was $2 more than I'm used to paying. I'll look around for some black barbers in the area, but I have a feeling that this'll have to do for the next four years. I only ever get my hair cut about once every 3 months anyway.

harSon

Banned
I don't know why, but the whole idea of only supporting black businesses just never felt right with me.

It's the same difference in perception as white people and black people voting for a President based on skin color. If a white person votes for a candidate because they're white, then that is a racist action. But if a Black person votes for a candidate because he's they're black, then they're given a pass, and that's because there's a difference in intent between the two scenarios. One is done out of racial preference, and the other is done out of desire to bust through racial glass ceilings and help undo centuries of racial inequality.

The same can be applied to only supporting black businesses. It's not done out of contempt for businesses of differing ethnicities, but for the purpose of ethnic advancement in the fact of a playing field that is anything but level.

RedSwirl

I went to a non-black barbershop for the first time in my life today. Asked for a dark caesar and no one knew what I was talking about. Ended up asking for what they call a "one length" which looks pretty similar. I never get too fussy about my hair, but I don't like how my hairline looks. It's not as clearly defined as I usually get. To top it all off, the haircut was $2 more than I'm used to paying. I'll look around for some black barbers in the area, but I have a feeling that this'll have to do for the next four years. I only ever get my hair cut about once every 3 months anyway.

It looks like barbershops is just one more subject on the BlackGAF rotation. I'm still driving 45 minutes out to the closest black barbershop.

I've been to two non-black barbershops in my life and have learned that it's okay if you're just maintaining a skin fade. One of the best barbers I've had was a Turkish guy I went to while living in Germany. Fast as hell too.

ISOM

The Asians, arabs, Indians, Jews don't have a problem supporting their own business which is probably why they own much more than blacks do. They make it a point to support their own race. The black community should of been doing this from a long time ago instead of this individualism that has gotten us nowhere except buying from their stores.

Kreed

The Asians, arabs, Indians, Jews don't have a problem supporting their own business which is probably why they own much more than blacks do. They make it a point to support their own race. The black community should of been doing this from a long time ago instead of this individualism that has gotten us nowhere except buying from their stores.

The issue here is intent. Other ethnic groups don't have a problem supporting their own businesses because most of the time those businesses are either providing a service that is specific for that culture (ex Kosher Food), or the businesses are based in those communities and are dependent on the local ethnic groups for income. If other groups were coming into their communities selling Kosher products or starting up an Asian Market, they'd support those businesses as well.

At the same time, going back to that post SousedLouse made and the quote from ChiTownBuffalo and bank loans:

The banking practices are discriminatory against immigrants as well. I mean, I can only speak for the Korean community, but seeing as how many Korean started off having businesses in black neighborhoods, it applies.

Korean skirted commercial bank lending by using something called a ggeh. This was a communcal pool of money. Every business owner would put money into the ggeh and then when a new family came to start a business, money form the ggeh would be removed and given to that new family to start a business of their own. In retrun, that new family would also make payments to the ggeh.

The ggeh wasn't just used for business startups, but also in lieu for insurance or emergency issues that the business owners would agree too.

Also a practice is, say I ran a dry cleaners, but I had made my moeny and I wanted to get out of the dry clening game, or move out to the burbs for better schools. I would sell my business to another new immigrant family to take over. And the deal was, is that the new family didn't have to pay me money up front for it. But they would pay me once a month and then eventually buy the business from me.

The intent in that situation was to give families within the communities a chance to start their own business since "mainstream" banks weren't giving them loans.

None of these culture/ethnic groups are just "buying products" for the specific purpose of supporting their group, they just "happen" to be doing it because those businesses are fulfilling a need. This is the real problem with buying black, because you generally have to "go out of your way" to do it.

IMO the real reason these groups have gotten "further" than the black community is the businesses themselves and the goals. When you look at local black businesses, the ones that you generally think of that do well are places like barber shops, hair salons, soul food places, etc... because those businesses fulfill a need in the community. But not many black people want to start businesses like that, local or otherwise. Most black businesses are businesses that try to compete with "mainstream" businesses. You're not going to find many black people in the black community trying to start a laundry mat, a dry cleaners, a grocery store that only targets people in that community. But those are the businesses that are the most reliable, easiest to maintain, and require the least amount of investment.

At the very least, black businesses that want to be mainstream need to offer something that the other businesses can't offer, otherwise they have to be prepared to be cannibalized on by businesses with more money/staying power. You can't just open up a black Walmart and expect to beat "regular" Walmart simply because you're black owned.

It's the same difference in perception as white people and black people voting for a President based on skin color. If a white person votes for a candidate because they're white, then that is a racist action. But if a Black person votes for a candidate because he's they're black, then they're given a pass, and that's because there's a difference in intent between the two scenarios. One is done out of racial preference, and the other is done out of desire to bust through racial glass ceilings and help undo centuries of racial inequality.

The same can be applied to only supporting black businesses. It's not done out of contempt for businesses of differing ethnicities, but for the purpose of ethnic advancement in the fact of a playing field that is anything but level.

Yes but it also helped that Obama was a great candidate. If we were talking about voting for Hilary Clinton vs Herman Cain in 2008 and black people were overwhelming voting for Herman Cain because of his skin color I think we'd be calling those black people out for being racist/voting for a bad reason.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
There is a much larger priority in the Jewish community, when it comes to preserving business, religion, and culture. I have yet to see the dedication they have in the black community. It doesn't even begin to exist on the same level that they have. One could criticize them for only "being out for self," whereas black folks care way to much about other people and image.

It doesn't sit well with me to shop at only black/urban stores, or go to black owned businesses, just because I have a particular skin tone. My family history consists of more than just black people. It doesn't help that it's a tad difficult to even find black owned whatever that applies to my likes and interests.

Imm0rt4l

There is a much larger priority in the Jewish community, when it comes to preserving business, religion, and culture. I have yet to see the dedication they have in the black community. It doesn't even begin to exist on the same level that they have. One could criticize them for only "being out for self," whereas black folks care way to much about other people and image.

It doesn't sit well with me to shop at only black/urban stores, or go to black owned businesses, just because I have a particular skin tone. My family history consists of more than just black people. It doesn't help that it's a tad difficult to even find black owned whatever that applies to my likes and interests.

Was going to make an allusion/half joke to Israel/Palestine.....but nah.

akira28

I was always reminded to support black businesses growing up. It was easy, thankfully, because most of the businesses in my neighborhood were black owned(well, if we don't count the white owned banks that really owned everything). We were never told to ONLY support black businesses, so I don't know where that is from, except that one lady who did the article for that magazine.

So...really just support black businesses, is there anything at all wrong with that? Who is going to go to only black/urban(horrible alternate term for black) stores though? I think people are arguing one part of a problem that doesn't exist. Problem #1 is the lack of economic security in black communities, and problem #2 is the lack of support for black businesses, but people are focusing on whether or not supporting black businesses might be seen as racism?

Top Bottom