• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

Mr.Fresh

All this anime talk :(. I don't watch it anymore but when I was a kid I used to love DBZ, Full Metal , Naruto, etc.

I do have a family member that watches it EVERYDAY. It's all he watches. He plays Games and watches Anime and that's it. Oh he's 24 btw.

Edit: I still watch Samurai Champloo btw. Once in a while I watch a couple episodes on Netflix.

FreeMufasa

I only watch one piece now. And that's like every 2 years since I like to bulk episodes.

I'm suprised OP is not as popular in the black community as other anime. Lot of black characters doing big things.

It's only been half a day since we lost Slayven and I'm already hearing reports that he was spotted eating KFC and buying tickets to the next Tyler Parry movie

RedSwirl

Man I hate anime and haven't watched any in say years

Can't even deal with games using the anime style art

RIP though Slayven

It's this shit too. I just don't like the character designs in most Japanese games these days, and I think a lot of it is the same moe influence.

The frustrating part is that I know Japan is still capable of much better. They just released some concept art for Dark Souls II and that shit looks incredible. There's just this awesome combination that happens whenever Japanese designers try to depict dark western fantasy. Hell, Akihiko Yoshida's designs even make Final Fantasy XIV at least look good.

The problem there is of course that Japanese games are still largely aimed at high school-aged kids (designers admit this) while the western industry has moved out to the 18-35 demographic. I don't think quality of writing and art is dependent on intended age demographic at all, but from what I've seen whenever Japanese designers do target firmly adult players, the results can be amazing. Just look at the Yakuza series.

It's not even just anime, either! Japanese video games do this shit all the time. I've lost count how many times Snake will randomly drop "Colonel!" or "Otacon..." in the middle of a damn conversation for no reason

No one talks like this, Japan

From what I understand, anime and video games are traditionally not written at all how normal Japanese people talk. It's just an accepted alternate way of speaking they sort of accept in all their entertainment, like they don't want that entertainment to be realistic at all. The problem you get is when that is then translated into English and sounds completely bonkers.

Every once in a while you'll get a guy like Alexander O. Smith who'll rewrite it enough to where it sounds great to English speakers, or voice talent like what you hear in Metal Gear. 999 and Virtue's Last Reward are two games where I'll put up with the silly anime character designs (from the woman who designed Street Fighter III's characters actually) because the writing and translation are actually top-class.

A.E Suggs

Man I hate anime and haven't watched any in say years

Can't even deal with games using the anime style art

RIP though Slayven

If you play or play SF, soul calibur or tekken then you have played games with anime influence. The art itself isn't really the problem its the way they draw the characters.

Dark Faze if she's older than say 20 and still fixated on anime, fuckin' bail dude.

Devo's opinion is null and void because she's not a gamer anymore. She ditched us for the fake cool kids after being picked on
:(.

G-Fex

If you play or play SF, soul calibur or tekken then you have played games with anime influence. The art itself isn't really the problem its the way they draw the characters that is.

No Soul Calibur but played the other two.

I hate hate HATE SF4's art, I loved III's art though a lot. Tekken and DOA I try not to mind.

DominoKid

Namco fighters dont really wear it on their sleeves though. Well Tekken does but its silly as fuck storyline wise (heihachi ftw). SC seems more european influenced.

Imm0rt4l

16817_564268303587412_1009978367_n.jpg

Slayven was partying like it was 1999, he'll be aight.

I only watch one piece now. And that's like every 2 years since I like to bulk episodes.

I'm suprised OP is not as popular in the black community as other anime. Lot of black characters doing big things.

Probably same reason a lot of people don't watch it, the art style is really ugly and off putting.

Question, do Japanese girls really sound like racecars?nsfw

cuz that shit aint whoa

I eat this Popeyes in honor of the fallen

edit: Wow, they even gave me an extra biscuit. Thats when you know it's gonna be a good day. Praise black jesus

Holy shit last night I had an incident similar to mufasa's yakuza incident. I unknowingly hollered at a gangsta's girl, the fucked up part is she was receptive to my game and acted like she was single lucky for me one of the bar men who was on the floor nudged me and gave me the low down

Bartender: hey mang u killin em tonite but u better chill
Me: fuck that this chick is down to bounce with me later
Bartender: you must have a deathwish that's such n such's broad
Me: #blankstare I don't know who that is
Bartender: all you need to know is he's over there and has been watching u like hawk since u started Talkin to that hoe

I take a quick peek over my shoulder fuuuuuuuuuu a table of unsavory characters is ice grillin me hard and they're atleast ten deep maaan fuck that I don't wanna get stabbed I finished my drank and dipped with the quickness. These broads will be the end of me man 0_o

Holy shit last night I had an incident similar to mufasa's yakuza incident. I unknowingly hollered at a gangsta's girl, the fucked up part is she was receptive to my game and acted like she was single lucky for me one of the bar men who was on the floor nudged me and gave me the low down

Bartender: all you need to know is he's over there and has been watching u like hawk since u started Talkin to that hoe

I take a quick peek over my shoulder fuuuuuuuuuu a table of unsavory characters is ice grillin me hard and they're atleast ten deep maaan fuck that I don't wanna get stabbed I finished my drank and dipped with the quickness. These broads will be the end of me man 0_o

"A set up to get wet up"

Good move.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

save her

It pisses me off tho, I decent chick would've told me she had bf and left it at that. I'm sure many dudes get bodied for unknowingly macking on these chicks shits fucked up

It pisses me off tho, I decent chick would've told me she had bf and left it at that. I'm sure many dudes get bodied for unknowingly macking on these chicks shits fucked up

The entire Trapped in the Closet saga could have been avoided if she was straight with Kells

or if Kelly turned his damn phone on viiiiibraaaate

ecurbj

Kreed, thanks bro. FreeMufasa's Ninja In Paris Chronicles is awesome as Hell. I want part 2 now, lol.

Mufasa seems like he got everything under control.

I hate when girls do this.

IceCold

I don't get guys like this. It's not like their girl has the word "TAKEN" written on their forehead. If anything he should be eye balling his girl, not you.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Is dating a white woman considered shameful where you live? And I'm not talking about Denzel Washington's stance on film wives/girlfriends.

Not that I'm aware of. Unless you mean shameful like black women talking shit when you walk by, which still happens

LowerLevel

Is dating a white woman considered shameful where you live? And I'm not talking about Denzel Washington's stance on film wives/girlfriends.

Not in Bosstown. But you will still get mad stares, mostly from much older white men and most sistas. And, ironically according to my bud, a few Asian women LOL. no one actually says shit except sistas though.

Nakazato

So... I have made a serious life decision this week. Since my career has kinda stalled. Im thinking about joining the air force for broadcast (since i have a bach in film at tv) to see if i can get it started back up on the right footing. So as of 1/1 im going on a diet to lose 80 pounds. Going to also use my gi bill to go back to school for computer science or nursing.

Wish me luck.

So... I have made a serious life decision this week. Since my career has kinda stalled. Im thinking about joining the air force for broadcast (since i have a bach in film at tv) to see if i can get it started back up on the right footing. So as of 1/1 im going on a diet to lose 80 pounds. Going to also use my gi bill to go back to school for computer science or nursing.

Wish me luck.

Godspeed.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.

Wish me luck.
Cool to hear you are making changes and plans to go places. Those kind of resolutions are always the best. Good luck.

HomShaBom

Banned

Wish me luck.
Enjoy.

DominoKid

It sucks to not be well traveled. I want to bash faces into the concrete when people get to talking about all the wonderful places they've been. Add that to the list of reasons I need to make some good money.

Only major city I've been to is DC. I can't even imagine going out of the country. I've never even flew on a plane before.

HomShaBom

Banned
It sucks to not be well traveled. I want to bash faces into the concrete when people get to talking about all the wonderful places they've been. Add that to the list of reasons I need to make some good money.

Only major city I've been to is DC. I can't even imagine going out of the country. I've never even flew on a plane before.
I knew that feel before I joined the Army. Still feel it a bit though, as most my travel wasn't on my own. I plan on studying abroad at some point in the next few years.

DominoKid

Yeah I've always heard the military is the easiest way to see the world.

I've never had any interest in it despite (or maybe because of) the fact my mom was in the Navy.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Yeah I've always heard the military is the easiest way to see the world.

I've never had any interest in it despite (or maybe because of) the fact my mom was in the Navy.

Navy is the way bruh because if your stationed on a ship your moving from port to port.

DominoKid

gotta keep the men happy while they pretend to be interested in that bullshit.

the bigger issue is why the hell does vanessa williams have a fake accent.

harSon

Banned
Trailer for Tyler Perry's latest trifling ass movie.

"He gon take you straight to hell." Fellas, go ahead and order your tickets. Get some woman credit going.

Jurnee is so so fine. But she married now *cries in the corner*

Too bad she doesn't get work. If it weren't for these all black cast films (Roll Bounce, The Great Debators and this), then her Hollywood career would be non-existent... which is disappointing considering she's a very capable actress.

Nate Parker (her co star in The Great Debators) is another black actor who'd be starving for roles if it weren't for black films, and dude's legitimate IMO.

Edit: Also, people starving for a non-Tyler Perry/Romantic Comedy black film should take a look at this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2385255/ Don't know who the f the director is, but that cast is on point.
Edit 2: NM, the cast looks better than the movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7UXL8D7XSw

Top Bottom