• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

PlayDat

Black Panther: Secret Invasion (aka "See Wakanda and Die") is a good self contained story that doesn't require too much knowledge of the character. "The Client" and "Enemy of the State" from Christopher Priest's run (widely regarded as the best run on the character) are also good. There is also Essential Black Panther if you want the earliest stories.

As for how to read, most of this can be found on Marvel's Digital Comics Unlimited service, which is like 10 bucks a month.

Thanks for the recs. I'll try to get to some of that before the next semester starts.

SmokyDave

"Sarah, we've run out of paper towels AGAIN!"
"I know Graham, and I would love to go and purchase some right now but I have to feed Noodle before she makes on the carpet again! Just use the newspapers, they were going to the recyclers tomorrow anyways."

That's my vision of #whitestruggle
When I was a kid, my mum covered the holes in the knees of my tracksuit bottoms with samples from a sofa catalogue because we couldn't afford to buy me new tracksuit bottoms.

Stick a hashtag on that fucker.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
OP updated. Gonna throw the mibbit link up for the chat shortly as well.

Also, GAFHOP's podcast isn't bad.

Imm0rt4l

I planned on using my webcams mic.

When I was a kid, my mum covered the holes in the knees of my tracksuit bottoms with samples from a sofa catalogue because we couldn't afford to buy me new tracksuit bottoms.

I'm not a bettin man, but I wouldn't count smokeydave out of the strugglympics. That is at least bronze medal material. That was an exceptionally hood anecdote.

harSon

Banned
I had a cousin who liked living in the projects. Made pretty good money could easily afford a nice apartment someplace but liked the "environment".

I don't like living in projects, but the seedy part of town always has more flavor/character than the good part of town, and is infinitely more fun with better food.

DominoKid

fuck that. that's like the main point of making money, so you aint gotta live with people that don't make money.

won't ever see me in the hood unless i'm broke or doing volunteer work.

FyreWulff

Me and my two brothers slept on uncushioned cots for beds for 3 years in my grandma's living room. Then me and my brothers all slept on a single queen-sized bed. We didn't sleep in our own beds until 1996. I was 12 years old then.

quote for bonus content

Mr.Fresh

We are gonna split the bills three ways but she said she's not paying more then $850 for rent. She found an apartment next to a trap house. A TRAP HOUSE. I'm looking in the nice area and hopefully I find something. There or at least on the main busy streets where I don't have to worry about coming home to an empty house.

We are gonna split the bills three ways but she said she's not paying more then $850 for rent. She found an apartment next to a trap house. A TRAP HOUSE. I'm looking in the nice area and hopefully I find something. There or at least on the main busy streets where I don't have to worry about coming home to an empty house.

what is a trap house

SmokyDave

Me and my two brothers slept on uncushioned cots for beds for 3 years in my grandma's living room. Then me and my brothers all slept on a single queen-sized bed. We didn't sleep in our own beds until 1996. I was 12 years old then.

quote for bonus content
Alright, you win, the first round of drinks is on me.

Feels good to look back and see how far you've come sometimes, doesn't it? Makes me all the more grateful for what I have.

FyreWulff

Alright, you win, the first round of drinks is on me.

Feels good to look back and see how far you've come sometimes, doesn't it? Makes me all the more grateful for what I have.

Yup. It was definitely better than the alternative of continuing to live on the streets outside. And absolutely better than the alternative of continuing to live with our dad at the time.

My mom and I were pretty much mortal enemies for a good couple of years when I was younger but when I look back I think her decision absolutely saved our lives. Which is why I get fairly heated on GAF when people try to shit on single moms in threads.

That transition house we lived in was pretty much the result of an asshole landlord though. Everyone in the family still misses the house due to it's location (right on the border of a forest), we just couldn't fix anything about it because the landlord was a dick and refused to do anything, then wanted three times what the house was worth to buy it from him.

I don't like living in projects, but the seedy part of town always has more flavor/character than the good part of town, and is infinitely more fun with better food.
Dafuck kind of talk is this? You must have never have really lived in the projects. Newark is fucking warzone, shit doesn't have anything but the flavor of shit and the character of a zombie crack head. The only food they have there is pizza and greasy ass "Chinese" food. I would never go back there unless I was forced to, not even to visit.

akira28

Dafuck kind of talk is this? You must have never have really lived in the projects. Newark is fucking warzone, shit doesn't have anything but the flavor of shit and the character of a zombie crack head. The only food they have there is pizza and greasy ass "Chinese" food. I would never go back there unless I was forced to, not even to visit.

The only Chinese food rejected by Asians, made by Hispanics and foisted on to urban blacks who look at their bags real suspisious like, before looking at the person behind the bulletproof glass and leaving, uncertain if they will ever return. Those places aren't even allowed to call it Chinese food, they're the China Subs and Chicken Carryout.

The difference between the ghetto and the hood? Ghetto still has some character left. One might suppose that the ghetto is made up of different hoods, or is it vice versa.

The only Chinese food rejected by Asians, made by Hispanics and foisted on to urban blacks who look at their bags real suspisious like, before looking at the person behind the bulletproof glass and leaving, uncertain if they will ever return. Those places aren't even allowed to call it Chinese food, they're the China Subs and Chicken Carryout. .

Note the quotations in my post.

There is NOTHING positive about the hood outside of amazing deals from the Homeboy Shopping Network. I'm more than willing to give that up to be safe and forced to use Groupon instead lol.l

Projects...I don't fuck around with that. Sketchy neighborhoods? ehhhhh. Lots of weirdos and such, something interesting always happening...not always good.

I don't get the 'better food' thing either. Seedy parts of town get shitty burger joints, shit chinese food, bullet proof protected jack in the crack and occasionally a hole in the wall that serves up good food with tons of attitude and a threatening atmosphere.

Fantomex

May I say that the problem with hip-hop is, if you haven't listened to it in many years, when you get out of your car you wanna fight somebody.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Christ, why would you WANT to live in a place that is... diseased? The hood isn't a place of action and good food, man. They are places where there is a vicious cycle of hope, anger, depression, and bitterness. You have that hope where you will be able to make it better for yourself, and something brings you down, and you get angry, trying to do whatever it takes to get out. And when you don't get out, you get depressed, and then do what it takes to make that depression go away. When you hit rock bottom, you become fucking enshrouded in bitterness, and just don't give a fuck anymore. And if life really, really sucks, something or someone will come along, that will give you a taste of hope, and the whole cycle starts again. Fuck the hood. I will drop my child on his godfather's doorstep, and use what little money I have left to buy some ammo and blast my brains out before I EVER have to move to the hood. Too many of my family rock that lifestyle.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
May I say that the problem with hip-hop is, if you haven't listened to it in many years, when you get out of your car you wanna fight somebody.

This makes me think of something: What happened to the R&B/Neo Soul movement from the early part of the 2000s? Where are the D'Angelos, the Bilals, the Musiqs, and the Maxwells? Where's the Jills, the Laurens, the Floetrys, and the Erykahs? I know that Alicia Keys put out something recently, but outside of her, and John Legend, it really seems to have fallen out of popularity. Its a shame. I LOVE that stuff.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
This makes me think of something: What happened to the R&B/Neo Soul movement from the early part of the 2000s? Where are the D'Angelos, the Bilals, the Musiqs, and the Maxwells? Where's the Jills, the Laurens, the Floetrys, and the Erykahs? I know that Alicia Keys put out something recently, but outside of her, and John Legend, it really seems to have fallen out of popularity. Its a shame. I LOVE that stuff.

R&B is coming back strong!

DominoKid

they collapsed under the weight of their own hype & pretentiousness. the neo-soul movement was corny as fuck even if it did birth a few good acts.

the greatness of that movement was largely driven by j dilla & questlove.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
they collapsed under the weight of their own hype & pretentiousness. the neo-soul movement was corny as fuck even if it did birth a few good acts.

the greatness of that movement was largely driven by j dilla & questlove.

Ninja what? What was pretentious about Bilal or Jill Scott? Hell, You couldn't see the Roots play without her doing a cameo!

they collapsed under the weight of their own hype & pretentiousness. the neo-soul movement was corny as fuck even if it did birth a few good acts..

image.php

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Ninja what? What was pretentious about Bilal or Jill Scott? Hell, You couldn't see the Roots play without her doing a cameo!

Jill Scott fucked herself up for one

Common was about that neo-soul shit for a while then wanted to get that black rapperactor check...

DominoKid

pretentiousness may not have been the right word.

but the fact of the matter is that they all produced their best work under the guiding hands of dilla & questlove (and james poyser). w/o them they've struggled to come up with anything near as good. and many of them have shown to be hypocrites to the very values they espoused in their music/image. d'angelo and his personal problems. badu and her baby daddy problems. common just straight up cashing out. jill scott and "the soul wince". basically it was just a fad. and like all fads they crash and burn. (edit: you can throw lauryn's crazy fraud ass in there for good measure too)

you cant even group alicia keys in with them. clive stuck her with that image because he knew people would eat it up but that was never her.

it doesn't shock me that The Roots are the only act of the bunch to be continually successful. the rest just didnt have the same discipline.

not a fan. and it's only a few of them cats i actually fuck with.

disclaimer: i stay on the OKP boards (e-home of neo-soul) so i may be a little biased on them. i've seen this argument hashed out dozens of times over the years.

Oldschoolgamer

As a Common fan I wasn't even surprised when he left that Electric Circus life with the swiftness. What fucked me up was the album with the Neptunes production. He was never the saint people claimed.

DominoKid

the Badussy (or lack of it lol. what a sucker.) ruined Common forever i think.
Ye sorta brought him back (DEM BEATS) but he's never been the same

Oldschoolgamer

the Badussy (or lack of it lol. what a sucker.) ruined Common forever i think.
Ye sorta brought him back (DEM BEATS) but he's never been the same

Maybe. BE was really good and on par with anything he's ever done, pre-badu. lol. I think he showed signs of his old self dissing Drizzy, but he backed down. :| I blame that show money.

Movie money > rapper money.

RedSwirl

Closest Popeys and Churches are 45-to-60 minutes away.

What pisses me off the most though is the fact that the closest Sonic Burger is like an hour and a half away, but we still get Sonic Burger commercials all the time up here. That's like the one thing I always have to eat at least once whenever I travel into the south.

...and what the fuck happened to buffalo chicken strips?

Imm0rt4l

Closest Popeys and Churches are 45-to-60 minutes away.

What pisses me off the most though is the fact that the closest Sonic Burger is like an hour and a half away, but we still get Sonic Burger commercials all the time up here. That's like the one thing I always have to eat at least once whenever I travel into the south.

...and what the fuck happened to buffalo chicken strips?

Yea, they used to do that shit in Minneapolis too. I think they have a sonics now, but I don't really care for that shit either way.

In-n-out is where it's at.

Top Bottom