• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

Slayven

yo, I went to a waffle house just tonight. Those wooden walls and tiled floors warm my heart just like the half cooked hash browns did

They do good food, and their staff is always nice. But the last time I went to one I saw a drunk chick knock her boyfriend out with a slap.

stepped outside my apartment building to go work this afternoon and some fool rolls by in a grey pickup and hollers "nigger" out his window, with the hard R. No idea why, I was just minding own damn business, bout to cross the street. this usually never happens during the daytime, so that was a surprise, but I was more annoyed that this happened right outside my apartment. theres something bout that shit happening outside my own home that really pissed me off.

Slayven

stepped outside my apartment building to go work this afternoon and some fool rolls by in a grey pickup and hollers "nigger" out his window, with the hard R. No idea why, I was just minding own damn business, bout to cross the street. this usually never happens during the daytime, so that was a surprise, but I was more annoyed that this happened right outside my apartment. theres something bout that shit happening outside my own home that really pissed me off.
What were you wearing?

Onemic

What part of the T. are you from?

Onemic

been years since i lived in tdot, im in regina, saskatchewan. Raps fan for life doe, even tho they a joke franchise.

Regina? Damn son, what do you do there? All you guys have are those Ruff Riders.

And now I'm not surprised at that racist shit, Regina has like no minorities. A black man walking down the street is probably the most intimidating thing ever.

Regina? Damn son, what do you do there? All you guys have are those Ruff Riders.

And now I'm not surprised at that racist shit, Regina has like no minorities. A black man walking down the street is probably the most intimidating thing ever.
theres actually lots of south asians here and Vietnamese people. but not too many brothers, you right on that.
city has the lowest unemployment rate in the country and I have student loans to pay off. Ive only been here a month, I was in Halifax for awhile, trying to help someone run their insurance business but that didnt work out. I miss the vibe of that city (and the hipster women), but the job market there sucks, so I had to leave. Know someone here in Regina, and he convinced me to come out here.

and people have the nerve to ask me why I activate the "black guy stare" soon as I open my gate, hell I do it even when I'm driving now

and people have the nerve to ask me why I activate the "black guy stare" soon as I open my gate, hell I do it even when I'm driving now

At least you can activate it. According to my roommate, when he first saw me he thought I was... let's say, extremely stereotypically black.

DominoKid

At least you can activate it. According to my roommate, when he first saw me he thought I was... let's say, extremely stereotypically black.

it's worse when you do it w/o realizing it. a few months into freshman year, my friends told me they were afraid to talk to me for the first few weeks because they thought i was angry all the time.

it's fun to activate it for no reason though.

sn: is it me or do a lot of black chicks these days have tattoos? maybe i'm just facebook friends w/ a bunch of ratchets. but if i had to guess its like a 60/40 split, AT BEST, for the younger set. i'll say <25yo.

Mr.Fresh

it's worse when you do it w/o realizing it. a few months into freshman year, my friends told me they were afraid to talk to me for the first few weeks because they thought i was angry all the time.

it's fun to activate it for no reason though.

sn: is it me or do a lot of black chicks these days have tattoos? maybe i'm just facebook friends w/ a bunch of ratchets. but if i had to guess its like a 60/40 split, AT BEST, for the younger set. i'll say <25yo.

What's wrong wit tattoos ?

DominoKid

Is it OK for white music critics to like violent rap?
Chief Keef's new album sparks a nasty debate about race and music criticism.

It's all that darn Chief Keef's fault. Fucking hoodlum thug ne'er-do-well!

There's some really inflammatory & reckless statements in that article by the author and some of the folks he quotes. ex:

Greene, Sargent, and Noz are white, a fact that did not go unnoticed by Keef&#8217;s detractors. Ted Bawno, who's either a wealthy older white media mogul who founded ego trip magazine in the early &#8217;90s or a fictional construction of ego trip&#8217;s non-white staff members, took to Twitter to say, &#8220;white people love chief keef because he is the Chief of Nothing and only poses a threat to other blacks in down-trodden neighborhoods.&#8221; Brian &#8220;B.Dot&#8221; Miller, who is black, and an editor at Rap Radar, took Sargent to task directly, tweeting at him to &#8220;please stop writing about MY culture,&#8221; bemoaning &#8220;cultural tourists writing about the music of MY culture&#8221; and &#8220;outsiders like yourself in hipster media that get a hard-on by overanalyzing black music.&#8221; An anonymous reader of Noz&#8217;s blog, meanwhile, wrote him to ask: &#8220;Has anyone ever told you that because you are a white supremacist you&#8217;re promoting minstrel show music like Chief Keef, Wacka Flocka and whatnot on your blog, because you want to make sure your white race stays ahead &#8230; ?&#8221;

and

&#8232;&#8232;Sermons of the Side Eye blogger Judnikki, who is black, agrees with Noz in theory about the amorality of art appreciation. &#8220;Fuck moralizing art,&#8221; she wrote, in a self-described &#8220;rant&#8221; on Twitter. But then she raised the problem of emotional perspective&#8212;a problem that speaks to B.Dot&#8217;s use of the all-caps, implicitly exclusive &#8220;MY.&#8221; There is an aspect of ownership in black people&#8217;s relationship to black music, she says, even if they don&#8217;t choose it, because whites in America have for so long pigeonholed the black experience. &#8220;When ppl have a history of being stereotyped and generalized they lose that sense of individual privilege &#8230;&#8221; It&#8217;s impossible, Judnikki argues, for her to divorce herself from Chief Keef&#8217;s blackness&#8212;to not see her own reflected in it. American society won&#8217;t let her. So it&#8217;s impossible for her to listen to his music free of an agenda. Thus, she does apply moral concerns to her experience of art, as much as she doesn&#8217;t want to. &#8220;Motherfuckers see us as ONE fucking unit and THAT is what we want &#8216;white bloggers&#8217; to understand. Someone sees Waka and then kills Treyvon &#8230; Y&#8217;all don&#8217;t know that fuckin&#8217; struggle of being judged based on someone else&#8217;s actions and you NEVER will ... You will never understand. Never feel the pain, shame, guilt &#8230; You get to be just you. But in America no matter how hard I try someone is ALWAYS judgin based on my skin and when the Chief Keefs appear, people are thinking OMG look at what years of oppression and demoralization have done to a group. They think: niggers.&#8221;

Thoughts?

Dy recruited me for the next banner, I suggested a rotating one parodying Sony's shit. If you refresh it's something diff/random.

randombanner.png

Can add more of course since there are so many more hilarious things.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
The latest Giant Bombcast has a pretty lengthy discussion about fried chicken towards the end. Patrons of Popeyes will not be pleased....

I feel like I hate popeyes just because of the ghetto ass locations they tend to have. Always in some awkward spot for some reason.

I haven't gotten fried chicken in like 3 years though. I just make my own BBQ chicken, mac and cheese, rolls, etc. Soul food is real easy to make.

I just...

Dy recruited me for the next banner, I suggested a rotating one parodying Sony's shit. If you refresh it's something diff/random.

randombanner.png

Can add more of course since there are so many more hilarious things.

stay winning.

The latest Giant Bombcast has a pretty lengthy discussion about fried chicken towards the end. Patrons of Popeyes will not be pleased....

any brothas on the panel? If not, we're apathetic. There are no expectations for good taste when no broheims are present.

Top Bottom