• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

I mean, what does Timedog actually do for her?

Might as well change your av to this:

doom%20is%20awesome.jpg

DominoKid

throwing some sports in this thread...

It’s been six years since an African-American head coach was hired via external search

dungy quotes
“Mike Singletary, Leslie Frazier and Romeo Crennel were named interim coaches when their bosses were fired during the season,” Dungy told PFT via email. “They were retained as permanent head coaches. Jim Caldwell, Raheem Morris and Hue Jackson were assistant coaches on staffs where there was a head-coaching opening and they were promoted from within. However, you have to go back to 2007 when the Steelers hired Mike Tomlin to see a situation where a team hired an African-American coach from outside their organization to be their head coach.”

“While many people would say it doesn’t matter and those six coaches were selected and got a chance, you still have to be concerned about the process for minority coaches,” Dungy said. “I know Ron Rivera was hired by the Panthers, but you would have to think that somewhere in the last six hiring cycles a team would reach out to an African-American coach outside their building. Unfortunately, it appears right now that the best way for an African-American coach to get an opportunity is to be on a staff where the head coach gets fired or retires. I still don’t think owners and GMs are doing a great job in the process of identifying minority candidates.”

thoughts?

DominoKid

How many black coaches puttin' in work in D1 NCAA? Only one I can think of is the Stanford coach, and if he keeps winning, the calls will come for him soon enough.

The issue has to be addressed at the collegiate level first.

Charlie Strong running shit at Louisville. He used to be OC i think at Florida when they were winning titles. I always heard he'd never be an SEC head coach because he has a white wife, but Tennessee tried to get him this year.

Sumlin at A&M, but I think people will try to play his success off as a product of Johnny Football da gawd. that dude is something else, on and off the field lol.

but yeah there's not many at collegiate level that i know of.

my problem w/ NFL is the (white) retreads they hire. ex Norv Turner will get another HC job somewhere. when it's proven he's a pretty shit HC, although he's a good offensive coordinator.

Nakazato

Charlie Strong running shit at Louisville. He used to be DC i think at Florida when they were winning titles. I always heard he'd never be an SEC head coach because he has a white wife, but Tennessee tried to get him this year.

Sumlin at A&M, but I think people will try to play his success off as a product of Johnny Football da gawd. that dude is something else, on and off the field lol.

but yeah there's not many at collegiate level that i know of.

my problem w/ NFL is the (white) retreads they hire. ex Norv Turner will get another HC job somewhere. when it's proven he's a pretty shit HC, although he's a good offensive coordinator.
Fixed strong was the DC

And i agree to an extent. But the real issue is the lack of success black coaches have due to the owner and gm. Hue Jackson made the Oakland Raiders look like an great team. Only to be fired after the 1st season. But it works both ways. Marvin Lewis of the bangles should had been fired 4 years ago but the owner trusted that he would turn it around.

In Mike Singletary defense his team didnt like how hard he made them work. So they got him fired.

DominoKid

Fixed strong was the DC

And i agree to an extent. But the real issue is the lack of success black coaches have due to the owner and gm. Hue Jackson made the Oakland Raiders look like an great team. Only to be fired after the 1st season. But it works both ways. Marvin Lewis of the bangles should had been fired 4 years ago but the owner trusted that he would turn it around.

In Mike Singletary defense his team didnt like how hard he made them work. So they got him fired.

on the low, Marvin Lewis is one of the best in the league. dude has made sugar out of absolute shit in Cincy. but i think his time is about up just because he's been there so long. if they don't go 11-5ish next season, i think he's out because they finally have some pieces.

Singletary, they just weren't trying to hear his old school shit. and i really can't blame the players. he's just a man out of era. i think he'd make a great position coach.

Hue Jax...i'm on the fence about. i mean, he greenlit that ridiculous trade for Carson Palmer so that alone is fire worthy imo.

an addition, i'm surprised Lovie Smith couldn't land on his feet. unless he didn't want to coach this year. i really thought a team would snap him up to be their HC. all he needs is a legit OC under him because he knows jack shit about offense.

harSon

Banned
Damn, some dude interviewing me just dropped all kinds of backhanded subtle racism. Said I was well spoken and later mentioned that "I didn't look like the type of guy who'd listen to Country music."

The hell kind of shit is that.

Damn, some dude interviewing me just dropped all kinds of backhanded subtle racism. Said I was well spoken and later mentioned that "I didn't look like the type of guy who'd listen to Country music."

"Your resume is quite dope, it's real fresh. Am I saying that right, fresh?"

Damn, some dude interviewing me just dropped all kinds of backhanded subtle racism. Said I was well spoken and later mentioned that "I didn't look like the type of guy who'd like Country music."

Was he purposefully doing this, or did you get a sense that the idiot truly didn't know how disgusting he sounded?

Sucks either way.

Also, and not to disregard your plight or anything, but on a completely unrelated note....did you finish Battlestar Galactica yet, and do you have any thoughts on it?

DominoKid

i think it's in our DNA to not like country music.

one of my friends is making a serious run at a career in country music, and tbh dude is pretty damn good. if he gets his image right he could be something. but i can't stand the music lol. i support him cause he's my boy tho. and there's tons of bad chicks at his shows too even if they probably don't like black guys.

harSon

Banned
Was he purposefully doing this, or did you get a sense that the idiot truly didn't know how disgusting he sounded?

Sucks either way.

Also, and not to disregard your plight or anything, but on a completely unrelated note....did you finish Battlestar Galactica yet, and do you have any thoughts on it?

I don't even know how he got on the subject. He was talking about theoretical situations, name dropped Country music, and then was like "Oh wait, you don't look like the type of guy who'd listen to Country music." If he would have changed it to "Rap" after, I would have been damn close to keepin' it real.

And I literally just started watching BSG again last night. I'm on Season 3 Episode 6 (Seeing the Cylon Bay ship was pretty cool) and I absolutely love it thus far, although this is the point where it supposedly turns to shit. I'll probably be done with it in a week or so. Took a break from it, because it was getting in the way of my movie watching :p

I don't even know how he got on the subject. He was talking about theoretical situations, name dropped Country music, and then was like "Oh wait, you don't look like the type of guy who'd listen to Country music." If he would have changed it to "Rap" after, I would have been damn close to keepin' it real.

Damn, sorry to hear that man.

People underestimate these "micro-aggressions"....shit drives me up a wall far more than blatant 'cism (Maybe because it's far more prevalent).

And I literally just started watching BSG again last night. I'm on Season 3 Episode 6 (Seeing the Cylon Bay ship was pretty cool) and I absolutely love it thus far, although this is the point where it supposedly turns to shit. I'll probably be done with it in a week or so. Took a break from it, because it was getting in the way of my movie watching :p

Yeah, New Caprica was definitely the height of the series for me, there are still some fun plot points and storylines ahead though.

It won't turn to shit. It'll just get a little confused and convoluted.

Just pretend they designed the show from the beginning to end like it does and you'll be okay. You have to suspend a little bit if critical thought over the last few episodes, but whatev. Even still the show is objectively better than all the other scifi that has come out over the last decade.

harSon

Banned
Damn, sorry to hear that man.

People underestimate these "micro-aggressions"....shit drives me up a wall far more than blatant 'cism (Maybe because it's far more prevalent).

Naw, it didn't bother me too bad. I was more shocked than anything haha

Yeah, New Caprica was definitely the height of the series for me, there are still some fun plot points and storylines ahead though.

I heard pretty much every character but Adama gets annoying at some point, and I definitely can see the beginnings of that in a lot of characters....

DominoKid

i know the history of it. but i tend to look at country like rock. yeah we started it, but it isn't 'ours' anymore. for better or worse, we have rap and r&b.

I heard pretty much every character but Adama gets annoying at some point, and I definitely can see the beginnings of that in a lot of characters....

Not really.

Edit: Well the doctor alwaays annoyed me. But that's because he was bitch-made and kept somehow escaping the just death he deserved. He was a perpetual irritant.

How country singers are the only people in the world who maintain their accent when they sing sounds really phony to me.

I dig country instruments and twang can be used effectively, those vocals almost always kill it.

Not really.

Yes really.

The "Final Five" storyline turning out to be a dud.

Lee Adama was never really that great, but he becomes completely useless by the series end. They clearly didn't have any vision for that character.

Starbuck is ruined by all the mysticism and "angel of death" crap.

Saul Tigh, who was actually pretty awesome throughout the series, has his characterization completely destroyed with that god awful Carpica 6 pregnancy storyline.

Laura Rosling, who I actually liked for the first couple of seasons, has to resort to a second cancer storyline (For no reason), and her stupid "vision" ends up being Gaius and Caprica hiding behind a fucking crate to protect the child.

GAIUS BALTER BECAUSE A JESUS LIKE FIGURE (Worst drop off in a character by far)

I thought that Bill Adama remained a beacon of integrity throughout, and I also liked how the Sharon's storylines played out...aside from that though, ugh.

Top Bottom