• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

I think country music's OK, in general. I like bluegrass, because it uses banjos often - that's country, right?

It's an weird genre, though, since most of the mainstream stuff sounds like ballads (and by this I mean the rhyming style, not the whole "power ballad" thing)

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I think the reason I dislike a lot of Country is that the majority of artists pander to a listening base that feel topics that really aren't at all me i.e. evangelical religion, American pride, isolationism etc. But there is decent shit to appreciate like any genre so I don't write it off completely. I like Johnny Cash.

I like your KK Slider Av, Lin.

Slayven

qgsPD6Y.gif

Can't even refute it, Slayven just hit you with truth

i think it's in our DNA to not like country music.

one of my friends is making a serious run at a career in country music, and tbh dude is pretty damn good. if he gets his image right he could be something. but i can't stand the music lol. i support him cause he's my boy tho. and there's tons of bad chicks at his shows too even if they probably don't like black guys.

didn't like Country when i was in my early twenties. It grows on you. Ironically, good country music is like good hip-hop or good blues. Storytelling is storytelling. Too much country today sounds like fake pop. Old country is where it's at.

Edit: even this newer Randy Travis song is great http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuL8g2Szse0

Some lady almost got robbed outside of where I work today. Of course it ended up being two black guys. They tried to steal her purse in front of a store where there's people coming in and out. Smh.

akira28

didn't like Country when i was in my early twenties. It grows on you. IRonically, good country music is like good hip-hop or good blues. Storytelling is storytelling. Too much country today sounds like fake pop. Old country is where it's at.

Yeah I basically wrote a book length post about this, but decided not to post it. Folk and country in their early days was played by black musicians just as much as white. In fact, one of the few places widely integrated down south and in the mountains was the arts with people paying good money to see a black man play guitar, when normally they mightn't even spit on them in the street. The music was influenced by blacks and their innovations were at the same time lauded and demonized. When they started changing up the rhythms, creating rag-time, jazz, and the blues they were still accused of playing devil music, or jungle music, and it was considered bad and rude to listen to or dance. But that's where 'cool' came from too.

I remember screaming on my dad to change it from the jazz station because I didn't want to listen to "white people music". The fact that I still have a head, and am alive amazes me even today, but I guess he must have loved his children.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
These last two pages serve no other purpose than to make me look at making the new thread.

yal really ain't shit tho

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
People taking shots at the king. You should know how it is by now.

I actually went and dug up some of the best parts of the last BCTs and I was going to keep a sort of running catalog of all the highlights. I'm gonna have to look through nearly 400 pages.

lawd

trixx

Hi im new to the forums
I'm from Accra, Ghana but i've been in Canada since i was 2 years old, Im 18 now. Currently living in Toronto. Pretty sure my family is 100% Ghanaian.

I'm currently attending University right now studying psychology, had a job at Shoppers Drug Mart. Favourite musical genre i would say is rap but recently i've been trying to explore other genres. West African music gets a lot of plays in my house as well.

I am a christian (i know there aren't too many on here), i do track and field, play video games (super mario 64 being my favourite of all time). I am also a pretty quiet person and lazy.

In terms of future careers/goals, i'm really just going with the flow right now there are some things that i do have in mind. One thing I would like to do though is visit Ghana, to see how it is down there.

Gorillaz

I've only been on Gaf for about 6ish months but it's cool to see a lot of people checking out this thread, especially all at once lol.

FyreWulff

i think it's in our DNA to not like country music.

one of my friends is making a serious run at a career in country music, and tbh dude is pretty damn good. if he gets his image right he could be something. but i can't stand the music lol. i support him cause he's my boy tho. and there's tons of bad chicks at his shows too even if they probably don't like black guys.

Depends on the type of country people are even talking about. There's older country like Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn, and Johnny Cash. Then you have more recent Pop-Country like Carrie Underwood, and some stuff that sounds like songs that barely missed making it on the playlist of Christian music radio stations.

Stuff like Darius Rucker rides that line between old and pop. One of my favorite songs to play in Rock Band.

I like listening to the old country, usually by female singers. The newer poppy stuff I barely listen to. This is not country goddamnit. Shania Twain writes songs entirely intended to be played at dance clubs / bars. Her songs are fun but they reek of "MUST BE A HIT SINGLE"

Top Bottom