• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

Onemic

I don't know much about the people other than they are black North africans, mainly of Egypt and Sudan iirc.

Just a question on Egyptians on general. What would you classify them as? I know a lot of Egyptians that don't consider themselves black, or even African, just Egyptian.

Just a question on Egyptians on general. What would you classify them as? I know a lot of Egyptians that don't consider themselves black, or even African, just Egyptian.

IIRC there was a muslim/arab invasion and conquest of Egypt and North Africa somewhere around the 7th century, so modern day Egyptians shouldn't be classified as black or "African" as most of us understand the terms.

Onemic

IIRC there was a muslim/arab invasion and conquest of Egypt and North Africa somewhere around the 7th century, so modern day Egyptians shouldn't be classified as black or "African" as most of us understand the terms.

Ah, I know very little of Egyptian history past BC stuff. So what happened to the original Egyptians? Are they still around and in what numbers?

Imm0rt4l

Modern Egyptians are more Caucasian since the Islamic conquest of Egypt. I think the not wanting to be considered African is an Arab influence and wanting to further distance themselves from the rest of the continents culture since it's different(sorta Mediterranean?) and very different from the people who lived there before, and through the rest of the continent.

Lrn2reed

Neo Member
Well, it's about time I make myself known to the everyone of BlackGAF.

Here we go...

Where you're from- Low country South Carolina among other places (army brat)
Where you live- Greenville SC
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy- Not real sure, somewhat of a gullah/geechee influence in the fam.
Do you know your roots- not really, wish I did
Your Age- 30
Favorite musical genre- all types except country...rap of course
Your profession/major/career interest- I'm employed by the biggest package carrier of the color brown lol
Your religious affiliation- not real religous, apostolic roots
Hobbies- Bout to be a pappy so there's that lol

I thinks that's it!

Imm0rt4l

Here we go...

Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy- Not real sure, somewhat of a gullah/geechee influence in the fam.
Your Age- 30
Your profession/major/career interest- I'm employed by the biggest package carrier of the color brown lol

I thinks that's it!

Welcome, and congratulations!

Here we go...

Your Age- 30

I thinks that's it!

Welcome man.

IceCold

Ah, I know very little of Egyptian history past BC stuff. So what happened to the original Egyptians? Are they still around and in what numbers?

Mixed with the rest of the populations. Egypt was always been a multi-ethnic society though. Even today you have those who'll cluster more with the Arabs, the Copts (Christian Egyptians), those of mixed Nubian heritage etc.

I assume due to Islam and how their culture and history tie in with the Middle East, many Egyptians might not consider themselves African per se. But at the same time most Egyptians don't consider themselves Arab either due to their strong pre-Islam history. Basically, most prefer to refer to themselves as simply Egyptian and nothing else.

Here we go...

Your Age- 30

I thinks that's it!

Welcome. What is that avatar?

Slayven

I think the best hosts of comic view were Gary Owens (the one white host) and Rickey Smiley(my name lil daryl). I also miss the comicview days, and being able to turn on BET at late night when they played 'midnight love'.

Comicview was the shit, best thing BET ever did.

zero_suit

Here we go...

Your Age- 30

I thinks that's it!

Welcome and congrats!

Finally a movie about how it is for kids nowadays on the streets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw93esZ-CA8

Luther_Table_Small.gif

Just wanted to use this gif, really. Not what I expected when I saw "Battlefield America"

Air

Banned
hmm new OP. Had forgotten this community existed (not really, but I was busy).

Is it still lively?

If it's not, what's black gaf's opinion on collard greens?

It seems like the most recognizable black food to people of other ethnicities I know.

and for good reason, it's damned good

Onemic

Is it still lively?

It seems like the most recognizable black food to people of other ethnicities I know.

Never had it in my life.

Is it still lively?

*blech*

Is it still lively?

good if done right... not everyone can make them good.

also, JALAPENO CORNBREAD!!!

Imm0rt4l

Never had it in my life.

This may be the case for me as well. Never had em' in any sort of soul food dish. I may have had em' in a Nigerian dish and not known I suppose.

I really like vegetables like spinach and broccoli though, so I'd probably like it? I dunno.

ReiGun

Finally a movie about how it is for kids nowadays on the streets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw93esZ-CA8

These little kids are some true O.G.'s.

Is it still lively?

Delicious.

:( :( :( :(

you guys ever get that one chick you've tried to smang but the universe stay cockblocking you somehow. I've had three smanging opportunities ruined by some kinda third force working against me :( :(

*takes a cold shower*

Top Bottom