• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

FqSJB.png

Hate hate hate *trollface*

EDIT: 6'2.

Where you're from- I was born in Jamaica, and lived there until I was 10 years old. I spend a few years after that hopping between Antigua and different parts of Florida.

Where you live- I settled down in Florida.

Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy- My mom's side of the family is Jamaican, although my 4th great grandfather from her side immigrated from Guyana. We lost touch with that side of the family completely though, so that's about all I know. My dad's side of the family is clustered in Antigua and Barbuda, and his dad came from Montserrat.

Do you know your roots- No, I don't; my family and I have always played around with the idea of making a family tree, but we can never find the time to get in touch with our relatives.

Your Age- 22

Favorite musical genre- Fusion jazz. Most of the music I've bought is fusion jazz, so that's gotta be it.
I've always had a reverence for calypso, though. When I was a kid, listening to lyrics made my skin crawl. That changed when I went to my first Carnival in Antigua; my parents would blast calypso and soca all night with stuff from Mighty Sparrow, Calypso Ram, Poonka and a bunch of other singers. It really struck a chord with me, and I've liked lyrics ever since. That being said, I still don't know that much about Calypso music, although I listen to it here and there.

Your profession/major/career interest- I'm studying Psychology at the moment, and I'm considering going into social work. I'd like to write, but I'd rather write on the side than go into writing as my main profession.

Your religious affiliation- I'm apathetic towards religion. I don't know how else to describe it, really.

Hobbies- Gaming, reading, watching movies on my own and watching anything else with friends.

And my height's 5'10'' - just throwing that out there to keep up with the discussion.

Onemic

Where you're from- I was born in Jamaica, and lived there until I was 10 years old. I spend a few years after that hopping between Antigua and different parts of Florida.

Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy- My mom's side of the family is Jamaican, although my 4th great grandfather from her side immigrated from Guyana. We lost touch with that side of the family completely though, so that's about all I know. My dad's side of the family is clustered in Antigua and Barbuda, and his dad came from Montserrat.

Do you know your roots- No, I don't; my family and I have always played around with the idea of making a family tree, but we can never find the time to get in touch with our relatives.

Your Age- 22

Favorite musical genre- Fusion jazz. Most of the music I've bought is fusion jazz, so that's gotta be it.
I've always had a reverence for calypso, though. When I was a kid, listening to lyrics made my skin crawl. That changed when I went to my first Carnival in Antigua; my parents would blast calypso and soca all night with stuff from Mighty Sparrow, Calypso Ram, Poonka and a bunch of other singers. It really struck a chord with me, and I've liked lyrics ever since. That being said, I still don't know that much about Calypso music, although I listen to it here and there.

Your profession/major/career interest- I'm studying Psychology at the moment, and I'm considering going into social work. I'd like to write, but I'd rather write on the side than go into writing as my main profession.

Your religious affiliation- I'm apathetic towards religion. I don't know how else to describe it, really.

Hobbies- Gaming, reading, watching movies on my own and watching anything else with friends.

And my height's 5'10'' - just throwing that out there to keep up with the discussion.

welcome.

And Fusion? Listen to any Mahavishnu or Tony Williams?

Your Age- 22

Welcome to the chillest thread on GAF mang.

were we suppose to do an introduction post.I will if its a rule

Also 6.1 here myself

image.php

welcome.

And Fusion? Listen to any Mahavishnu or Tony Williams?

I haven't heard of Mahavishnu, but I've listened to some of Williams' music; a little bit from when he was with Miles Davis, and a little from his trio. I also checked out the Trio of Doom - with a name like that, how could I pass it up?

And thanks for the welcomes, folks.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Where I'm From: Brooklyn NY

Where You Live: Brooklyn NY

Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy: Half African American and half Panamanian. From there going backwards my genealogy gets complicated. Basically I am mixed ethnically with a lot of different races and cultures. To make it easier I tell people I am Black and Latino mixed with West Indian.

Do you Know your roots: Yes I can trace my family roots back to about 6 generations beyond that I don't know specifics but I know the cultural make up of my ancestors.

Your Age: 28

Favorite Musical Genre: Rap, Jazz, and old school RnB. Each genre puts me into different mood. I also am a fan of stuff from the Rat Pack and that swing/crooner stuff.

Your profession/major/career interest: I'm a student earning a Masters degree in Maritime Transportation to be a shipbroker. I usually just tell people I am learning to work in Exports/Imports. I use to work in Advertising but I never really fit in.

Your religious affiliation: Catholic but lord knows i try my best to make reality and my liberal political views mesh with my spiritual ones.

Hobbies: Drinking, Listening to music, Gaming, Telling bad jokes to amuse myself. My goal in life is to spend as much time traveling as possible

and to repeat i am 6'1 and I wish I was a little bit taller... So I could be a Baller...

She did a dance after winning a Singles Olympic gold for America. Big fucking deal. People will cry about anything. See: Gabby Douglas.

Slayven

Big deal, the shit I would do if I was announced the best of the best. I would bust out the Bernie on the way to the medal stand.

I don't even like Serena but that's funny. If I ever win a gold I'll be doing the motherfucking harlem shake on the podium. And guys my dad gives no fucks.

Kreed

Aw man, to go back to high school when everyone assumed a 6'4'' black guy was a basketball player, and were shunned when it turns out they aren't, or they were "tall for nothing".

Not that I know what the feels like or anything

*is 6'5'' black guy*

*nods* This was every day of my Middle School and High School life until I went to Art College. I still remember the disgust in coaches/kids eyes when I told them all I dunked was a paint brush in a cup of water.

Now in my adult life I've graduated to "Did you play basketball in school?".

ReiGun

I never got much of the "Do you play ball?" thing growing up. But then, I suppose it's pretty easy to tell I have no athletic ability whatsoever.

abuC

People asked me if I played football all the time in HS, some girl asked me if I was in the NFL a few months ago (EGO BOOST!!!).

Top Bottom