• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

lighten up, bro

E9Cw8.jpg

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
true story

my coach wouldn't let me play for 3 games because i started c walking while up 20 in an exhibition game

Artemisia

Banned
hey everyone

Where you're from - Niagara Falls, Canada.

Where you live - Currently live in Snellville, Georgia, and am going to university in St. Louis.

Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - Somali all the way up the family tree.

Your Age - 18

Favorite musical genre - all genres of pop music and some rap as well. I generally prefer female vocals.

Your profession/major/career interest - I'm a student who really has no idea what they want to do with their life.

Your religious affiliation - Family is muslim. I'm an atheist.

Hobbies - video games (duh) and music. Some reading if it's interesting.

Anyway,

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this (or if it was already discussed)...

How do you all feel about the criticism of Gabby Douglas' hair? This may be a misguided generalization but I noticed that tons of black people were so fixated on her hair. I don't know about you guys but that really left me frustrated. Here we have an amazingly talented young black woman who worked hard to achieve something great, and all the black community can do is groan about her 'nappy' hair?

What do you think?

hey everyone

Where you're from - Niagara Falls, Canada.

Where you live - Currently live in Snellville, Georgia, and am going to university in St. Louis.

Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - Somali all the way up the family tree.

Your Age - 18

Favorite musical genre - all genres of pop music and some rap as well. I generally prefer female vocals.

Your profession/major/career interest - I'm a student who really has no idea what they want to do with their life.

Your religious affiliation - Family is muslim. I'm an atheist.

Hobbies - video games (duh) and music. Some reading if it's interesting.

Anyway,

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this (or if it was already discussed)...

How do you all feel about the criticism of Gabby Douglas' hair? This may be a misguided generalization but I noticed that tons of black people were so fixated on her hair. I don't know about you guys but that really left me frustrated. Here we have an amazingly talented young black woman who worked hard to achieve something great, and all the black community can do is groan about her 'nappy' hair?

What do you think?

What's up. And I noticed that too. It's pretty frustrating. We have a black woman who's doing really good things but a lot of us shot on her because of trivial things. It's probably why a lot of us don't seem to care. Even if you succeed people will still find a way to dislike you.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Yea, that shit is mind boggling. It's even dumber considering that the group bitching about her hair, has the most experience with sweating hair out / getting it wet. Wtf were they expecting?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Is it my imagination or does the "classless" thing seem to usually only apply to black athletes?

abuC

Is it my imagination or does the "classless" thing seem to usually only apply to black athletes?

Of course, remember in 04 when you had Americans rooting for Team USA basketball to lose because they were "classless thugs" even though Tim Duncan and Richard Jefferson were on the team.

Onemic

anymore classless then this?

Carlos-Smith.jpg

No wonder these guys got death threats and ostracized by the media and U.S. sporting establishment

I've heard everything under the sun about that. People still can't let it go either as I've heard people on gaf call it racist.

Kreed

Anyway,

What do you think?

This is the perfect thread to ask this. The hair criticism from the black community/black women doesn't surprise me, but it's stupid regardless. Gabby is at the Olympics not Dancing with the Stars. When you're an athlete trying to perform for your country (and earn gold), your hair is the least of your worries. Would her critics have been happier if she had lost with "Good Hair" (this is a serious question, because I'm guessing they would have)?

The Adder

Banned
*nods* This was every day of my Middle School and High School life until I went to Art College. I still remember the disgust in coaches/kids eyes when I told them all I dunked was a paint brush in a cup of water.

Now in my adult life I've graduated to "Did you play basketball in school?".

It was football for me. I was 6'1" and broad.

You played football?

Yeah, only in HS though.

Maybe for black men but coming off of the "Gabby Douglas hair discussion" it's going to be a long time before black women are ruling female swimming events.
So true lol. That's one thing that stands out to me that REALLY sucks about being with a black woman vs other ethnicities. The amount of attention, energy and money it takes in dealing with a black woman's hair. I remember having to change plans depending on if it was going to rain that day or what activities we were going to do especially if they involved water or if it was humid that day. Now it's not even a thought anymore. I can go swimming, jetsking, canoeing or whatever else and hair is never an issue. I can grab it, pull it, run my hands through it and I don't have to worry about dealing with any of those annoying ass head rags during sex.

I DON'T KNOW IF I CAN GO BACK BGAF.

Onemic

Yeah, only in HS though.

So true lol. That's one thing that stands out to me that REALLY sucks about being with a black woman. The amount of attention, energy and money it takes in dealing with their hair. I remember having to change plans depending on if it was going to rain that day or what activities we were going to do if they involved water. Now it's not even a thought anymore. Can swim, jetski, go canoeing or whatever else and hair is never an issue. I can grab it, pull it, run my hands through it and I don't have to worry about dealing with any of those dumb ass head rags during sex.

I DON'T KNOW IF I CAN GO BACK BGAF.

That's why you get a girl like Esperanza

4582764369_515876548a_o.jpg

I just ask shit that makes the realness comes out.

I told myself to stay out of that Serena thread, but this post was too tempting to pass up.

I read all 8 pages, and I can't say I'm surprised at how things are going. Seems like people always have a spare ax to grind over every little thing.

Slayven

I told myself to stay out of that Serena thread, but this post was too tempting to pass up.

I read all 8 pages, and I can't say I'm surprised at how things are going. Seems like people always have a spare ax to grind over every little thing.
So much anger and resentment just bubbling below the surface.

Or like this

My ex had the same exact hairstyle, still has many of the same issues. And it takes a shitload of money to keep it up. Special leave in and wash out conditioners, hair humidfier, silk pillow cases. Now it's just a $5 bottle of Pantine and I'm good lol.

Young sister goes out there, makes history. People want to make comments about her...hair.

Thats usually when I call up my friend and say, let me tell you about your people.....

Top Bottom