• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT2|

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
First off, sup CrushDance. Haven't seen you around for a while.

Have you talked to your parents about this at all? Is your father tall? Have you asked him how he deals with being black in a predominately white environment?

That's awesome that you're that tall. Wish I was a little bit taller. /skee lo

I dunno, man. I'd personally embrace that shit. I can't believe that there aren't females around you that dig tall black guys. It definitely helps in the club. It helps when playing racketball or basketball. It helps when trying to make an imposing impression when someone is trying to get up in your face.

Wish I was a little bit taller. /skee lo

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
RIP Psygnosis

-------------------

Re: CrushDance

I'm by no means a therapist, but you need to accept yourself as you are. Frankly, you're all that you have in the world. Not doing so basically means you hate yourself, which is a perfect recipe for a miserable life.

My area is fairly open-minded. Incidents are pretty rare. But in general, when people give me "the look", I smile and think, "Yeah that's right, I'm all up in your neighborhood/store/school/restaurant/wherever. Can't stop the come-up now can ya?"

This is probably fairly useless advice, but it is another way to look at the situation.

justjohn

a 6ft5 black man? dude you pretty much won the lottery of life. also you should be glad people find you intimidating. revel in it and dont be meek.

I just can't support it all. It would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad.

I'm begging for someone better than Obama.

Fuck.

I'm not (full-out Dem), but I do hate the fact that the only thing that happens is obstruction.

Obama has been fine and I'm voting for him again.

two weeks back I got a call at 2 am some dude accusing me of fucking his wife threatening to come see me for payback and shit, had me scrambling doing a hoe inventory check to see who was married. Turned out it was a wrong number but fuuuuuuuuu :(

SmokyDave

I know right, got caught slipping. Literally is the rule not the exception.

If it's any consolation as an atheist I definitely have moments where I look at my life or my actions and think 'shit chap, you better straighten up & fly right', if that's what you meant.

I'd listen to that inner voice, it's usually bugging you for a good reason.

Imm0rt4l

Last time I went to a service of any kind; I was invited by this pretty young thang I wanted to get to know better when I was in school(pawg). She was one of those born again virgins though, fuck that noise. She believed in some other weird stuff like kanye west being a devil worshipper. Yea, not my steelo. she was a really nice girl though, I didn't wanna turn her out, lose her faith/moral compass which seemed to define her since being born again. I'm not an agressive kinda atheist. Can't reconcile wanting to go balls deep with a girl whose ideology was totally opposite my own. I can't make that kinda compromise. Can't say I wanted to get right with jesus, but I aint wanna use his name in vain or in an effort to get some sugarwalls.

akira28

Ever seen some shit that makes you think " I need to get right with Jesus"?

This is a new level of fucked. Not merely "I need to straighten up." This is more like "I need to get saved, because the rest of ya'll are going to hell."

It could be an "I almost died, I need to get right with Jesus" moment too.

I've seen stuff that make me just...

But it would have to be some truly bad shit to send me back to church.

I think it's safe to assume everyone on the internet is liberal until proven otherwise.

Although USA "liberal" is just to the right of center is other parts of the world. Which makes the GOP super-duper-bordering-on-parody conservative in comparison.

Slayven

This is a new level of fucked. Not merely "I need to straighten up." This is more like "I need to get saved, because the rest of ya'll are going to hell."

It could be an "I almost died, I need to get right with Jesus" moment too.

I've seen stuff that make me just...

But it would have to be some truly bad shit to send me back to church.

Or it could just be an expression.

seriously though, if only the republicans weren't insane on certain issues, they could easily have blacks and latinos in their pockets with all their religious values crap.

akira28

seriously though, if only the republicans weren't insane on certain issues, they could easily have blacks and latinos in their pockets with all their religious values crap.

MLK was a Republica--yeah they fucked all of that up decades ago. It would take an awful lot of death and dying to bring black people back to the party of Lincoln.

Or it could just be an expression.

well yeah. There's normal usage, and then there's Ultimate usage, maximized for dramatic effect.

Onemic

The question as to why faith is so strong in the black community is a legitimately good question, something I still ponder on.

Not surprising when a people is literally forced into believing a religion lest you want to be raped/beaten/killed until you do so. See any other group of people that have been colonized/taken over and have had their religion changed.(Phillipines, most of Africa, South America, etc.) When religion is the only thing that can bring some sense of hope its easy to fall into evangelicalism along the line.

why black people gotta believe in fairy tales?

Helps many people cope with the harsh realities of their existence. Instead of admitting shit is fucked up and it's going to take a focused and concerted effort to unfuck it, some would prefer to just get on their knees and blow mythical bearded White Jesus who has oppressed black minds for generations and continues to do so today. To each their own I guess.

akira28

Keep in mind that religion and organization around the cross was the only kind of organization slaves and pre-modern age blacks were allowed. It didn't arouse suspicion, they were allowed to personalize it, and it allowed them to have a kind of community. Not to mention organize escapes, rebellions, and everything else. The black church has been vital to African American emergence.

It's just the recent foolishness, mixed with old issues, that cause a lot of people to throw the baby out with the bathwater in my opinion. But it's true that the hand we hold can also be the hand that holds us down, and the black church as of late has been less Martin Luther and more Creflow Dollar.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Helps many people cope with the harsh realities of their existence. Instead of admitting shit is fucked up and it's going to take a focused and concerted effort to unfuck it, some would prefer to just get on their knees and blow mythical bearded White Jesus who has oppressed black minds for generations and continues to do so today. To each their own I guess.

smh

sounds like you could easily be talking about drug addiction.

Onemic

Jesus was black doe.

Top Bottom