• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReiGun

I enjoy reading threads like that because everyone now and then, someone comes in and drops some knowledge or posts some interesting links. It's worth sifting through the bullshit just for that.

I try to participate when I can, but mostly hang back for fear I don't know what I'm talking about.

I will be touching it!

Change their minds and change the world!

Gender thread gaming side is worse than OT, I can only guess it's just chicken littles running around saying "male characters are bad too" "but these 3 characters I'll tell you about over and over are fine" and "we already know this why we gotta talk about it."

what are you even talking about? Kratos doesn't wear a shirt either!

Saw zero dark thirty the other night

Didnt think it was possible for the subject matter to be as unemotional as it came across in that film.

Cool, sat right?

I don't even know what we should talk about, seems like we should just start with something and let the shit fly where it does.

Yup Saturday.

We really only need something to start off with to get the ball rolling after the intros and maybe a couple recent event type things, articles or something in case we hit a snag.

A few side notes:
Don't worry about pauses, they're easily fixed with a quick edit
motherfuckers better stop typing. It's impossible to edit out.

harSon

Banned
Gender thread gaming side is worse than OT, I can only guess it's just chicken littles running around saying "male characters are bad too" "but these 3 characters I'll tell you about over and over are fine" and "we already know this why we gotta talk about it."

There's not many sexist things you can say to a male to piss him off like there are for women, but calling them privileged seems to piss them off. The same is true for any demographic benefiting from being a part of the majority.

There's not many sexist things you can say to a male to piss him off like there are for women, but calling them privileged seems to piss them off. The same is true for any demographic benefiting from being a part of the majority.

Forever alone nerds like to think they're at the bottom of the totem pole. Go out into the real world, gender and race still matter, not the fact that you decided to socially neuter yourself, that's your own self-inflicted problem not a systemic one. Point this out however and it's like you dropped the a-bomb.

Imm0rt4l

#1 Terrence Howard.

Self-hating, uppity, cornball brothers with WHITE WOMEN that slap them around.

Smh @ letting a woman call your child a nigger, I don't give a fuck how good the pussy is. Made me think he very well may be as big a cornball as his character in Sparks.

Gorillaz

Not counting T Howard, who would be the biggest Cornball Brother of them all? Feel like we need some type of measuring tool so we know who fits the bill and who doesn't.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Just watched that women vs tropes vid. They seriously had Tetra kidnapped, turned into stone, and kidnapped again? lmfao. That has to be a record or some shit.

Slayven

Just watched that women vs tropes vid. They seriously had Tetra kidnapped, turned into stone, and kidnapped again? lmfao. That has to be a record or some shit.
Pray she never does a comic one. There is a 6 issue mini that revolves around anal rape. And it took Kevin Smith 5 years to write.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Pray she never does a comic one. There is a 6 issue mini that revolves around anal rape. And it took Kevin Smith 5 years to write.

dc would be reamed. identity crisis would be exposed as the waste of paper that it is.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I haven't read the women vs thing thread yet but I rarely touch gaming outside of official threads and "FAR CRY 3 SUCKS" opportunities.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I haven't read the women vs thing thread yet but I rarely touch gaming outside of official threads and "FAR CRY 3 SUCKS" opportunities.

i only go for personal interests as well, so im far from caring about the ish going on over there

We have people selected for the singular issue podcasts (you guys know who you are, I hope).

For those of you who wanted to contribute to the podcast but none of the topics spoke to you, or someone nabbed the spot before you. Let me know if you want to jump in for a general discussion. We'll probably do 2 or more of them for every singular topic podcast. BCT regulars preferrably, first come first serve.

Charlamagne is kinda dumb sometimes so I'm not surprised.

He would hit a girl cause he's busting in 30 seconds, that's the most charlamagne thing I've ever heard.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
He would hit a girl cause he's busting in 30 seconds, that's the most charlamagne thing I've ever heard.
Haha.

I can see where he's coming from talking about how people fuck up and make mistakes but I can't cosign the attitude of just taking that shit lightly. We aren't talking slaming doors or breaking stuff. Beating on a girl is a big fucking deal and never excusable in a "oh I was mad but it cool now I know I was wrong" kind of way. Can someone be redeemed after it happens? Maybe. But they better reflect that in their attitude and never come close again. Needs to be a change in character, and not just blow it off as 'past is the past'. That is the worst attitude to have. Only exception I can posdibly think is defending yourself in the event you are being attacked and just throw the crazy girl off you and leave it at that.

Haha.

I can see where he's coming from talking about how people fuck up and make mistakes but I can't cosign the attitude of just taking that shit lightly. We aren't talking slaming doors or breaking stuff. Beating on a girl is a big fucking deal and never excusable in a "oh I was mad but it cool now I know I was wrong" kind of way. Can someone be redeemed after it happens? Maybe. But they better reflect that in their attitude and never come close again. Needs to be a change in character, and not just blow it off as 'past is the past'. That is the worst attitude to have. Only exception I can posdibly think is defending yourself in the event you are being attacked and just throw the crazy girl off you and leave it at that.

In either direction there is no excuse. Deal with your anger issues and leave other people welt free.

FyreWulff

That woman better hope she does't so much as stumble on her words. "Pfft how can I take this stuttering inarticulate person seriously!?"

Already seen some of that. Just woke, scanned through, a lot of critquing the presentation and not the content.. sigh. Not much discussion to be had with talk like that.

Realtalk: A lot of people complaining just in general are definitely white guys (either they've mentioned it, or had a picture of themselves as an avatar). A lot of white dudes, especially white nerds, are set off by this video series because you know what, white dudes aren't used to being labeled or 'put on a team' in any part of life. If you're black, or mexican, or a woman, you're viewed as being part of a group or the 'black team' as soon as you're born and when you walk out into the world. It doesn't even matter if you have no family traditions or culture, you're still "one of those black people", "one of those mexicans", or "just a silly woman". Everything you do is applied to a group, not an individual basis.

So this video comes out and the girl mentions men as a group to describe something. And I might not agree with her on every little detail, but a lot of it is true and it's a good way to describe certain things.

And this just fucking unsettles the white nerds. They get uncomfortable and defensive because they're being pre-judged and described as a blanket term for the first time in their life. If you're white in this country you don't get pre-judged when you talk or do something. You don't get followed or sneered at when walking into a store, you don't get yelled at for 'making a statement' when you want to do something like wear jeans and a tie as a woman. "It can't be bad, 5 more women entered engineering at my school last year! That's a 400% increase!".

They're in denial that there's an inherent advantage in this country to being male, and that there's an inherent advantage to being white. So wrapped up in being the 'nice guy' that they can't handle the idea of benefitting from years of oppression and lopsided laws. They can't handle being prejudged and it makes them immensely uncomfortable.

Agreed.

Most entertainment industries cater heavily to young white men and videogames may cater the heaviest. Not sure why anyone would have a problem conceding that point and saying that this catering has led to bullshit for female and minority gamers in general.

If you're a white guy most games, movies and television are there to serve you specifically in a handful of ways: Character is supposed to be like you (white male) and if the character is female she better give you a hard-on.

They also take it too personally and broaden out the scope of what people are saying in order to attack straw men. Just because a game happens to have a stereotypical female character doesn't mean

a) the game is shit
b) the character is shit
c) you're an asshole for playing it

First of all many stereotypical characters can still have depth or be decent if there wasn't such a prevalence of them to begin with. Take Bayo or Samus for instance. These are not terrible characters by any stretch but given the dearth of characters that exist outside of the sexualized bubble, they become just more noise to this effect.

They also take it too personally and broaden out the scope of what people are saying in order to attack straw men. Just because a game happens to have a stereotypical female character doesn't mean

a) the game is shit
b) the character is shit
c) you're an asshole for playing it

First of all many stereotypical characters can still have depth or be decent if there wasn't such a prevalence of them to begin with. Take Bayo or Samus for instance. These are not terrible characters by any stretch but given the dearth of characters that exist outside of the sexualized bubble, they become just more noise to this effect.

Why do you hate men so much?

We have people selected for the singular issue podcasts (you guys know who you are, I hope).

For those of you who wanted to contribute to the podcast but none of the topics spoke to you, or someone nabbed the spot before you. Let me know if you want to jump in for a general discussion. We'll probably do 2 or more of them for every singular topic podcast. BCT regulars preferrably, first come first serve.

Viewtiful, harson, dominokid? No one?

Don't be mad at me when Devo and Slay are there for every general discussion.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I want to but I won't have Internet at my new place until Sunday and only have a shitty gaming headset microphone.
Realtalk: A lot of people complaining just in general are definitely white guys (either they've mentioned it, or had a picture of themselves as an avatar). A lot of white dudes, especially white nerds, are set off by this video series because you know what, white dudes aren't used to being labeled or 'put on a team' in any part of life. If you're black, or mexican, or a woman, you're viewed as being part of a group or the 'black team' as soon as you're born and when you walk out into the world. It doesn't even matter if you have no family traditions or culture, you're still "one of those black people", "one of those mexicans", or "just a silly woman". Everything you do is applied to a group, not an individual basis.

So this video comes out and the girl mentions men as a group to describe something. And I might not agree with her on every little detail, but a lot of it is true and it's a good way to describe certain things.

And this just fucking unsettles the white nerds. They get uncomfortable and defensive because they're being pre-judged and described as a blanket term for the first time in their life. If you're white in this country you don't get pre-judged when you talk or do something. You don't get followed or sneered at when walking into a store, you don't get yelled at for 'making a statement' when you want to do something like wear jeans and a tie as a woman. "It can't be bad, 5 more women entered engineering at my school last year! That's a 400% increase!".

They're in denial that there's an inherent advantage in this country to being male, and that there's an inherent advantage to being white. So wrapped up in being the 'nice guy' that they can't handle the idea of benefitting from years of oppression and lopsided laws. They can't handle being prejudged and it makes them immensely uncomfortable.
Wow. This is exactly what I've been thinking about for a while now but I've been lost at for an answer.
Jackben said:
Why are some posters so adamant on shutting down any and all discussion of the privilege of the established norm? (white, male, heterosexuality). You can see it in all of these threads on GAF and it doesn't seem to be unique or limited racially, sexually or financially. Whether it is just outright denying the existence of inequalities e.g. 'no such thing as white privledge', 'lol no women dont have it bad', 'trickle down economics is good!' or simply shitting on / attempting to discredit valid arguments it happens a lot. What are these posters afraid of that they feel the need to deny, discredit and self-delude to such an extent?
And you've not only answered it but put it very eloquently. Bravo. Keep spreading the good word.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Viewtiful, harson, dominokid? No one?

Don't be mad at me when Devo and Slay are there for every general discussion.

lol real talk

we all know slay ain't got shit else to do anyways

i want to get in a show with bish at some point too. i'm pretty sure we can talk about a lot of shit that can't be talked about or recorded.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
lol real talk

we all know slay ain't got shit else to do anyways

i want to get in a show with bish at some point too. i'm pretty sure we can talk about a lot of shit that can't be talked about or recorded.
So Well Spoken: Exxxtended Cut edition. Moris skim off the top of his bank and bails to Mexico. Dy arrested (delinquent child support). Slay put on restraining order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom