• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll jump in, why not.

cool cool cool.

07 - General Discussion - Slay & Devo
sittin' in a tree
08 - General Dicussion - Prof Beef & Reigun
09 - In The Workplace - DarkFaze & Prof Beef
10 - General Discussion - Nakazato &_________
11 - General Discussion - Bish &_________
12 - ComicBooks/ComicBook Movies - Slay & Reigun
13 - General Discussion - ________&_________
14 - General Discussion - ________&_________
15 - Minorities In Media - Harson & Topher
16 - General Discussion - ________&_________
17 - General Discussion -________&_________

Lots of spots open

i want to get in a show with bish at some point too. i'm pretty sure we can talk about a lot of shit that can't be talked about or recorded.

If you're reading this Bish, you should come back and shoot the shit with us. Maybe for #10 or 11.

If the next one isn't full, I could jump in. Give me a chance to test the cheap ass mic I borrowed from my friend.

When are you guys recording?

Slay and Devo are doing the next one, the one after has a spot open.

goddamn that Tropes vs Women thread is fucking stupid

holy shit

Now they're going on about her makeup.

Sometimes I think threads like that should definitely be more mod directed. Her makeup has fuck all to do with anything. So much stupid shit in there it's amazing.

Onemic

Now they're going on about her makeup.

Sometimes I think threads like that should definitely be more mod directed. Her makeup has fuck all to do with anything. So much stupid shit in there it's amazing.

Checked it once. Didn't need to check it again. Gaf Nerdom defense force in full swing. It's like they don't know that just because some is pointing out there are tropes present in video games doesn't mean they think the industry and anyone that supports is an evil piece of shit.

ReiGun

I just can't understand why people take criticism of the media they enjoy so personally. Well, okay, I understand why, but it's just so stupid. Any suggestion that games need to mature or change or what have you is met with vitriol and turned into some lazy "they're trying to take mah game away!" strawman.

I took the video as more of an educational thing met to spark conversation. The kind of thing a teacher might use in a media studies class, for example. Looking at the thread, it's turning out that steering the conversation toward discussing the trope in question is a hell of a lot harder than it should be.

I just can't understand why people take criticism of the media they enjoy so personally. Well, okay, I understand why, but it's just so stupid. Any suggestion that games need to mature or change or what have you is met with vitriol and turned into some lazy "they're trying to take mah game away!" strawman.

I took the video as more of an educational thing met to spark conversation. The kind of thing a teacher might use in a media studies class, for example. Looking at the thread, it's turning out that steering the conversation toward discussing the trope in question is a hell of a lot harder than it should be.

A lot of the discussion doesn't even understand that the pure volume of female characters that fall into tropes is why the youtube even exists. It's just "tropes aren't inherently bad though." No, but coupled with the same pervasive types and keeping characters one dimensional it's lazy and it generally makes for shitty storylines and shitty characters. As I mentioned before some characters aren't even bad but since we're not provided with many examples outside of the oversexualized strong female or weak useless crybaby it's hard to give a shit.

Gorillaz

Well you said it yourself on that one. The gaming medium is stuck in a weird place, because many fans are stubborn to change and variety, but at the same time with the medium being young as it is, you can't be that way.

This just popped up on my FB timeline

522532_4926491354859_1958529485_n.jpg

ReiGun

A lot of the discussion doesn't even understand that the pure volume of female characters that fall into tropes is why the youtube even exists. It's just "tropes aren't inherently bad though." No, but coupled with the same pervasive types and keeping characters one dimensional it's lazy and it generally makes for shitty storylines and shitty characters. As I mentioned before some characters aren't even bad but since we're not provided with many examples outside of the oversexualized strong female or weak useless crybaby it's hard to give a shit.
Exactly.

The key here, and what people are asking for, is variety. And not the kind of variety we have now, wherein we prop up a handful of characters and say "Shit is fixed!"

Well you said it yourself on that one. The gaming medium is stuck in a weird place, because many fans are stubborn to change and variety, but at the same time with the medium being young as it is, you can't be that way.
The sad thing about it is that folk don't seem to realize that the changing being asked for would only make games better. If developers were actually tasked with thinking about narratives beyond lazy tropes, storytelling in games would hopefully improve.

This just popped up on my FB timeline

522532_4926491354859_1958529485_n.jpg
Sad part is I know one person on my feed is likely to post this if he finds it. I'd delete him, but he's kinda dumb, so I can't even take him seriously. I just see it, snicker, and go about my business.

Exactly.

The key here, and what people are asking for, is variety. And not the kind of variety we have now, wherein we prop up a handful of characters and say "Shit is fixed!"

They just list the same 3 characters over and over and ask people why they're not content.

So Well Spoken: Exxxtended Cut edition. Moris skim off the top of his bank and bails to Mexico. Dy arrested (delinquent child support). Slay put on restraining order.

Had something like this happen in my school's NABJ chapter, so i can't laugh. We can't have nothing.

And there's so little point in posting in that tropes v. women thread. It's just far too big with far too many drive-by, poorly thought out posts with no focus. Don't get sucked in; you're better off making your own thread with a clear question/target.

ReiGun

And there's so little point in posting in that tropes v. women thread. It's just far too big with far too many drive-by, poorly thought out posts with no focus. Don't get sucked in; you're better off making your own thread with a clear question/target.
I'm trying to jump in, but the thread is so obsessed with discussing Anita herself and I'm just not with that.

I'm still following along though. I guess I still have faith or something. Plus, there is a worthwhile conversation to be had.

Vice

Had something like this happen in my school's NABJ chapter, so i can't laugh. We can't have nothing.

You in the NABJ?

Damn bigghostfase why you gotta do drake like that

HANDS OF ZEUS @BigGhostFASE
Drake talkin tough on records is kinda like a lotion
dispenser squirtin out a couple hard chunks...its all
still lotion tho
HANDS OF ZEUS @BigGhostFASE
That bein said Drake might be 2-0 for his latest
releases. I think its the storm before the calm tho
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I'm trying to jump in, but the thread is so obsessed with discussing Anita herself and I'm just not with that.

I'm still following along though. I guess I still have faith or something. Plus, there is a worthwhile conversation to be had.

I've taken this approach as well. There is some interesting dialogue to be had when everything is said and done. I'm just waiting for the knowledge to drop amongst the madness.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
I feel like such a lurker up in here. I read this thread almost every day. But I almost never post. Sup with that? Engage with me. I want to join your reindeer games.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I feel like such a lurker up in here. I read this thread almost every day. But I almost never post. Sup with that? Engage with me. I want to join your reindeer games.
What's the source of your tag? It always makes me laugh combined with your avatar.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
What's the source of your tag? It always makes me laugh combined with your avatar.

I was in some thread one night where all of the sudden Bish went into tag mode and just started giving everyone in the thread tags. I think that I mentioned to someone that it's cray to be racist towards another human being, since we're all the same race. BAM! Tag.

That reminds me. I should switch up the avatar sometime. The little guy can't fit into a trophy cup anymore. Need to GQ him up and take a pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom