• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReiGun

Recommending black films that aren't melodramatic is pretty easy, but black films that don't focus in on the black struggle on top of that is a bit harder. Do you films that are absent of both, or just ones that aren't melodramatic and overly morbid?

Just not melodramatic and overly morbid, really. I enjoy films focusing on the black struggle, (of course, if you can think of some that don't, feel free to include those too).

One of my friends is a conspiracy theorist, but it's mainly black conspiracy theories related to the Nation of Islam/Farrakhan sermons. Basically anything negative about the "white devils" is true without any real proof or facts necessary. White people are evil clones of black space men? Yes. White people created AIDs to destroy black people? Yes. Etc... I generally just avoid talking about "black power-ish" subjects and setting him off, but recently we got into a long argument over this crap after he tried to talk me into watching a "documentary" called Hidden Colors and it's sequel Hidden Colors 2. He wouldn't really tell me what it was about, but thankfully I was able to look up the trailer on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noFwrMOF2lI

I was actually tempted to still watch the documentary simply because of how ridiculous it has to be after hearing some of this stuff. But anyway we ended the argument after agreeing he won't be asking me to watch this movie again, or any others like it hopefully.

Afrocentric people in general rub me the wrong way. Don't get me wrong I'm glad to be black but yo I'm not into that self segregation shit. Everytime I meet someone who says it's "us vs them" I'm just like word?...nah, 12% isn't going to do a damn thing against 70%, you cats are delusional as fuck.

DominoKid

Just had a Pepsi w/ the real sugar (weird considering I live in NC) for the first time...and it's fucking delicious! What have I been doing with my life?

Slayven

Whatever Viewtiful, pay those bills, buy her some shoes and take her to chuck e cheese. Tell all your friends how you're a REAL a man and DY is nothing but a kid who had the baby.

daddyslittlegirls.jpg

DominoKid

That movie's actually not terrible. It's just basic as fuck as all things Tyler are. But it's probably the best thing he's done. I know that doesn't sound like a compliment but it is.

harSon

Banned
Dammit harson, you can't go to bat for every damn movie. Tell us some movies you don't like.

I started keeping a list of the films I like and dislike out of those that I watch! These are all the 2013 DVD/Theatrical releases that I found to be mediocre to awful:

The Grandmaster
John Dies at the End
Texas Chainsaw 3D
The Haunting in Connecticut 2: Ghosts of Georgia
A Good Day to Die Hard
Cosmopolis
The Incredible Burt Wonderstone
House at the End of the Street
Hit & Run
Compliance
Bullet to the Head
The Bay
Stolen
Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters
Tai Chi Zero
The Possession
Alex Cross
This Is 40
Silent Hill: Revelation
Red Dawn
Les Miserables
Killing Them Softly
A Haunted House

I've never seen it, but from what I can remember I don't think I've ever seen harson say a movie is bad. I want to know what he doesn't like.

Do you go into movie related threads? I've hated on plenty of films. Hell, I write 1000+ word reviews for movies I hate. Like this one for The Last Airbender: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22210767&postcount=1604

harSon

Banned
lol you actually watched Tyler Perry Action Hero?

I pretty much watch everything that releases. I'm choosy with what I'll watch in theaters considering I'm dropping $5-10 for the film, but I watch anything and everything once it hits home video between Redbox and the mom and pop video shop around the corner.

I started keeping a list of the films I like and dislike out of those that I watch! These are all the 2013 DVD/Theatrical releases that I found to be mediocre to awful:

The Grandmaster
John Dies at the End
Texas Chainsaw 3D
A Good Day to Die Hard
Cosmopolis
Hit & Run
Compliance
Bullet to the Head
The Bay
Stolen
Tai Chi Zero
The Possession
Alex Cross
This Is 40
Red Dawn
Les Miserables
Killing Them Softly
A Haunted House

Do you go into movie related threads? I've hated on plenty of films. Hell, I write 1000+ word reviews for movies I hate. Like this one for The Last Airbender: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22210767&postcount=1604

Where did you see The Grandmaster?

The Grandmaster
John Dies at the End
Texas Chainsaw 3D
A Good Day to Die Hard
Cosmopolis
Hit & Run
Compliance
Bullet to the Head
The Bay
Stolen
Tai Chi Zero
The Possession
Alex Cross
This Is 40
Red Dawn
Les Miserables
Killing Them Softly
A Haunted House

Aw, I was gonna check those out eventually.

I rarely go to movie threads here unless I really liked a movie and saw it opening weekend. I wasn't coming at you if that's what you were thinking. I honestly couldn't recall a time you badmouthed a film in this specific thread, but I knew you watched tons of movies.

harSon

Banned
Where did you see The Grandmaster?

A student screening at UC Santa Cruz a few weeks back. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a legitimate copy considering it was a student screening of a movie that hasn't had a domestic release yet Lol.

Aw, I was gonna check those out eventually.

I rarely go to movie threads here unless I really liked a movie and saw it opening weekend. I wasn't coming at you if that's what you were thinking. I honestly couldn't recall a time you badmouthed a film in this specific thread, but I knew you watched tons of movies.

I didn't take it personally! And eh, I'm pretty contrarian and argumentative, so I only tend to bother posting about something when there's a debate to be had or I'm part of the minority opinion. I'm not much of a fan of circle jerk conversations where everyone's opinion is in lockstep (Christopher Nolan threads for example), so I tend to not join them most of the time unless my opinion happens to go against the grain haha. Probably explains a lot of my posts.

Daddy's Little Girls is Perry's only good film, and it's a generally decent flick by itself.

I liked Diary of a Mad Black Woman as well, partially because I hadn't grown old of the Tyler Perry formula yet. I think a lot of his films negative perceptions are exacerbated by the fact that they're so freaking formulaic and seemingly overlap/blend together. There's certainly other factors as well, but being able to create a collage out of his filmography and the collage coming off as one movie instead of several doesn't help at all.

zon

Like a few other celebs such as Jayne Mansfield, he was supposedly into it for the crazy sex parties. He wasn't actually going around murmuring "I wanna kill everyone... Satan is good... Satan is our pal".

You don't really know what LaVey was preaching, do you? He called his religion Satanism in the hopes it would create a lot of media coverage. The things he actually wrote is more in line with what many posters here think; there is no god, do what you want as long as it doesn't hurt others, don't let people exploit you etc. He wasn't a devil worshipper as many seem to think.

Kreed

Afrocentric people in general rub me the wrong way. Don't get me wrong I'm glad to be black but yo I'm not into that self segregation shit. Everytime I meet someone who says it's "us vs them" I'm just like word?...nah, 12% isn't going to do a damn thing against 70%, you cats are delusional as fuck.

The thing is they KNOW they are delusional in regards to actually doing something, well at least the group "leaders" like Farrakhan do. If somehow they self segregated and all the white people were gone/etc... that would be the end of their movement, and you can't sell books/DVDs/merchandise without a movement. So they just endlessly complain.

Sadly I can't convince my friend of this/he'll have to figure this out himself. Maybe once he gets tired of trying to only work for/with black owned businesses or only buying black made products.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
just found out im stuck in texas for at least another 16 months

and people think we're going to north korea, syria, or iran. fucking l o l. i'm damned good at my job, don't have anything negative on my record, and even i'm skating on thin ice. the cuts to military are no joke.
i dont even know

the fuck are you even trying to do satch lol

zon

The thing is they KNOW they are delusional in regards to actually doing something, well at least the group "leaders" like Farrakhan do. If somehow they self segregated and all the white people were gone/etc... that would be the end of their movement, and you can't sell books/DVDs/merchandise without a movement. So they just endlessly complain.

Sadly I can't convince my friend of this/he'll have to figure this out himself. Maybe once he gets tired of trying to only work for/with black owned businesses or only buying black made products.

What's wrong, in their eyes, with multicultural products? Or is everything not made by blacks automatically created by the white man?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom