• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
flaggedaby8r.gif

notbasedmbzxv.gif

He tries so hard for ya'll love

I have no hate for you not liking it. I've just got to a point now I don't care what other people think about what I listen to.

Onemic

Drake ain't shit. He tries to make good music, but he mostly fails.

Naw man, his shit is tight.

I think a big reason why people don't like him has absolutely nothing to do with his music and more to do with his image/persona. Pretty much like the Yeezy hate. I know that's the initial reason why I refused to listen to him.

DominoKid

Naw man, his shit is tight.

I think a big reason why people don't like him has absolutely nothing to do with his music and more to do with his image/persona. Pretty much like the Yeezy hate. I know that's the initial reason why I refused to listen to him.

Yeah he's a huge cornball. But honestly most people are, they just don't realize it.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Also every time I go into a character creator I'm always struck by how it's basically white people hair and then for non-whites, a fro. That's literally it. Dude.
Some games are better about this than others. You can, for example, go onto the latest Star Wars MMO, SWTOR, and make a fairly non-ridiculous looking black man or woman if you're making a human. Most of the hairstyles are for longer, straighter hair, but they have options for a tight afro, dreads, a kinda strange cornrow thing, and a couple of others. The skin tones are limited, but it's not like there's peach, sorta brown, and "holy shit, I can see stars". Strangely enough, one of the better games about giving you a ton of options, even when it comes to voices (which is something that sometimes throws me off in games with voice when the voice doesn't match the appearance) is Saints Row 2 and 3, which are otherwise joke games.

Onemic

Some games are better about this than others. You can, for example, go onto the latest Star Wars MMO, SWTOR, and make a fairly non-ridiculous looking black man or woman if you're making a human. Most of the hairstyles are for longer, straighter hair, but they have options for a tight afro, dreads, a kinda strange cornrow thing, and a couple of others. The skin tones are limited, but it's not like there's peach, sorta brown, and "holy shit, I can see stars". Strangely enough, one of the better games about giving you a ton of options, even when it comes to voices (which is something that sometimes throws me off in games with voice when the voice doesn't match the appearance) is Saints Row 2 and 3, which are otherwise joke games.

The worst tend to be Korean MMO's and sometimes CRPG's. You don't even get an option to create a black character, only a white one.

Gorillaz

Real talk if I didn't get back into Kanye's stuff (wrote him off after 808's but liked Dark Twisted Fantasy) I would have probably just ignored him complete. Dudes entire ego is on another level.

Which is saying something because even during Graduation days he had a terrible ego

<3 Saints

sn00zer

Hey, I kinda assume this is a place to ask questions on black culture?
What is with the Illuminati/Satan worshipper thing with famous black artists? Ive met a few people (some college educated) who held serious beliefs that Kanye West/ other famous black rappers/business moguls were controlled by the Illuminati and/or were devil worshipers.

Im all for conspiracy theories, but this seems to be exclusive to black culture. Why is this?

HomShaBom

Banned
What is with the Illuminati/Satan worshipper thing with famous black artists? Ive met a few people (some college educated) who held serious beliefs that Kanye West/ other famous black rappers/business moguls were controlled by the Illuminati and/or were devil worshipers.

Im all for conspiracy theories, but this seems to be exclusive to black culture. Why is this?
8sw7WZS.jpg

We need to get these Operation Caliphate leaks under control y'all, whistleblowers ruining it for all of us.

A friend of mine recently posted that the Illuminati is to Black People what Bigfoot is to Rednecks. He's black and an expert at being one so I will take his word for it.

Gorillaz

all yall had to do was keep shit quiet for once...for once in your lives, and now everyone knows whats going on. How are we ever going to reach the next phase of the plan?

Onemic

Who said Jay in the Illuminati? Last time I checked, that was the biggest racist party.

ReiGun

Who said Jay in the Illuminati? Last time I checked, that was the biggest racist party.

Everyone. They said he and Bey sacrificed their daughter to the Illuminati. Ivy = Illuminati's Very Youngest; her name spelled backwards means "bride of satan" or some shit.

People are crazy over this stuff.

trixx

Drake is alright he's been around my neighborhood a couple of times, seems like a cool, genuine guy. But I'm not a huge fan of his music

Verizon fucked up and still gives me 20% off my bill from a job I haven't had since 07.

Problem is: I need/want a new phone but I'll lose my grandfathered unlimited data plan that they don't offer anymore in order to get a new phone for $100-$200.

I have to give up my $80 a month bill and pay $100 for basic service or $120 in order to use the same amount of data I normally do.

whyigottawait4weyz.gif

I think I'm just gonna find a used one on ebay and continue to stick it to the man.

how else can a black person be successful in this world? has to be the Illuminati, no way they could do it on their own...

DominoKid

So in my capstone class, I'm in a group that has to design the promo materials for a multi-million dollar fundraising campaign. In my group, I'm the only one w/ any real experience doing this shit so I figured I'd be running it by default.

NOPE! Despite the fact that I've been doing shit like this since I was 14 (HS newspaper experience actually turned out to be useful) AND the professor telling the other folks in my group to let me run it, i have great ideas, yadda yadda yadda, they STILL wanted to assign me some menial shit. Cool.

As we get into the project I realize they have no idea what they're doing. The shit we were making was just godawful, I knew it and it was sort of funny to me to watch them flounder. It finally got to a point where I realized that if it's gonna get done, and done well to the client's satisfaction, I'm just gonna have to do it.

I spent ~3 hours in the library yesterday redesigning the materials for our meeting today (we've been working on this project since Feb mind you). We get in the client meeting and the guy looks at my own stuff, and our group's stuff and just tossed the group's stuff to the side. You would've thought somebody backed a truckload of salt into the room looking at their reactions.

Now I get that I don't show the same level of enthusiasm & interest as some folks, but when it comes to skills, I've never met anyone better. I get so tired of folks trying to play me like I'm dumb or incapable just because I'm black. This shit never happened to me until college.

---
And while I'm talking about this project, I wanted to mention something else from our client meeting I found interesting. We had this picture of this interracial couple in the promo stuff, and the client told us to take it out because the some of the donors wouldn't like that. Now granted, he's probably right. I know the base he's going for very well. But it's still sad that it has to be like that. Those folks have a great story and it's perfect for what we're doing.

ReiGun

My favorite part is how unconquerable the Illuminati is according to the conspiracy theorist, They control everything we watch; they go to the trouble of placing their hidden messages in everything we consume; anyone who speaks out about them is killed in some elaborate plot. And what do we do about this? Nothing, apparently. Just sit in our basements, put out youtube videos, and wait for the day the government, I don't know, sends out the T-Virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom