• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Verizon fucked up and still gives me 20% off my bill from a job I haven't had since 07.

Problem is: I need/want a new phone but I'll lose my grandfathered unlimited data plan that they don't offer anymore in order to get a new phone for $100-$200.

I have to give up my $80 a month bill and pay $100 for basic service or $120 in order to use the same amount of data I normally do.

whyigottawait4weyz.gif

I think I'm just gonna find a used one on ebay and continue to stick it to the man.

why not just pay full price for the handset? it works out cheaper than changing plans and you don't get a used ebay phone...

Hey, I kinda assume this is a place to ask questions on black culture?
What is with the Illuminati/Satan worshipper thing with famous black artists? Ive met a few people (some college educated) who held serious beliefs that Kanye West/ other famous black rappers/business moguls were controlled by the Illuminati and/or were devil worshipers.

Im all for conspiracy theories, but this seems to be exclusive to black culture. Why is this?

IDK I've ran into it before. One of my friends pulled me off from the side of the group and asked me if I thought Kanye was a in the Illuminati. Now keep in mind the dude that said this was black. My white conspiracy friends are funnier. "Yo bro you know the computer gives off waves that let the government take away the second amendment?"

iavi

Now I get that I don't show the same level of enthusiasm & interest as some folks, but when it comes to skills, I've never met anyone better. I get so tired of folks trying to play me like I'm dumb or incapable just because I'm black. This shit never happened to me until college

Honestly, I don't think it's because you're black as much as it's because, as you say, you don't show the same amount of enthusiasm, or bravado when it comes to your talents. Did Yeezy not teach you shit?

DominoKid

Honestly, I don't think it's because you're black as much as it's because, as you say, you don't show the same amount of enthusiasm, or bravado when it comes to your talents. Did Yeezy not teach you shit?

I show enthusiasm, just not to compensate for lack of actual ability like most folks I've come across. Maybe it's just something you have to feel for yourself because I always have people trying to play me in slick ways like I don't notice it. Maybe it's in my own head.

But If I never hear/get a "You did this" type of reaction again, it'll be too soon. Or a "Oh you don't play sports? so why are you here" (IDK how'd you get in? Probably the same way I did). Shit like that. I've mentioned that second one before. I mean, we've
(and I'm speaking about my overall experience here)
been around each other for 4 years. They know the fucking score by now and they still want to act brand new about it.

I knew I'd miss being around black people, and for that I can't wait to get back to civilization. But I never even considered that I'd miss being around people that were used to being around black people. That probably doesn't sound like much, but it makes SO much of a difference. It's a bubble up here.

edit: lawd jesus the homie i used to play Megazords w/ growing up (he had all of them) is on baby #2 w/ BM #2 in the last 2 years. i pray he doesn't hit that three-peat next year but man it's not looking good.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
How do so of you deal with conspiracy theorists? I'm talking like the 'government sends brain waves through the telephone' theorists?

Who, apparently, are coming out the woodwork now?

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Hey, I kinda assume this is a place to ask questions on black culture?
What is with the Illuminati/Satan worshipper thing with famous black artists? Ive met a few people (some college educated) who held serious beliefs that Kanye West/ other famous black rappers/business moguls were controlled by the Illuminati and/or were devil worshipers.

Im all for conspiracy theories, but this seems to be exclusive to black culture. Why is this?

aquino-and-sammy-davis-jr-anton-lavey1.jpg

how else can a black person be successful in this world? has to be the Illuminati, no way they could do it on their own...

Nail on the head. Just crab mentality. A lot of people struggling with mediocre lives and have to explain rampant success of others. Now artist are feeding into it cause it gets them talked about more.

(edit) That Drake song... I don't even..

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Fuck North Korea for making my days longer.

Thank you North Korea for making me look good.

And my laptop is lol right now. Probably need to reinstall windows.

GungHo

whoa

changing my mind on this tbh

Like a few other celebs such as Jayne Mansfield, he was supposedly into it for the crazy sex parties. He wasn't actually going around murmuring "I wanna kill everyone... Satan is good... Satan is our pal".

Real talk, I used to be into the whole illuminati/NWO shit during highschool. Used to think Jay-Z and Kanye were members along with other people such as Lady Gaga. A friend even showed me Zeitgeist around that time and I became even more distrustful of the media/gov't/etc.

Glad that I grew out of that phase. Which sucks because that same friend who introduced me to Zeitgeist still happens to be into that shit. Saying that the gov't is hiding shit from us, 9/11 was fake, etc.

zero_suit

Glad that I grew out of that phase. Which sucks because that same friend who introduced me to Zeitgeist still happens to be into that shit. Saying that the gov't is hiding shit from us, 9/11 was fake, etc.

That's true (national security related issues), but all that other stuff....

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I just smile and nod at the conspiracy theorists.

I have one at work that is certain every sport ever played is rigged, the government controls the weather, and the personal best is that there is a cure for cancer but the government doesn't publicize it so they can reduce the population so because of that he never donates to any cause because it's useless.

He said that last one to cancer survivor.

sn00zer

I just smile and nod at the conspiracy theorists.

I have one at work that is certain every sport ever played is rigged, the government controls the weather, and the personal best is that there is a cure for cancer but the government doesn't publicize it so they can reduce the population so because of that he never donates to any cause because it's useless.

He said that last one to cancer survivor.

I have a friend who is in cancer research...tell your friend he is full of shit and until he understands th biology behind cancer he can sht the fuck up

Slayven

If the secret societys was as powerful and secretive as folks claim we would know shit about them. And I say that as a devote believer in cryptozoology.

DominoKid

If the secret societys was as powerful and secretive as folks claim we would know shit about them. And I say that as a devote believer in cryptozoology.

Honestly, I think all the stuff we pick up on for Illuminati conspiracies are basically smokescreens anyway. They put that shit out to throw us off the trail.

GungHo

It's ok, dude. I'm sure it will be proven that MLPs are real someday.

Slayven

Honestly, I think all the stuff we pick up on for Illuminati conspiracies are basically smokescreens anyway. They put that shit out to throw us off the trail.

There is a table top game where conspiracies try to out conspire each other. They have Greys, People from Atlantis, Lizardmen(really the descendants of dinosaurs), Bigfoots, and a few other groups. One of the good guy groups is actually Dolphins raising up to protect humans. It's crazy.

Slayven

The part where
the guy was dangling the kids from the apartment building
was hilarious.

It so ridiculous like a cartoon.

HE was light skinned, he should have been saving these women. That shit pegged my struggle meter. Having the characters recite poems, while it could have been moving. Is just hilarious.

How come this girl JUST started talking about her having a daughter

I'm not DY, I'm not about dat life

You are the father.

harSon

Banned
Why is it in black women films, they got to be raped, beaten, and their kids killed?

Fuck For Colored Girls.

If you remove Tyler Perry, most of that's gone from the genre. Stop subjecting yourself to TP films! Watch quality black films instead, like Gang of Roses 2

DominoKid

Also i wouldnt judge FCG on the movie. It just doesn't translate well to film. At least not how they did it. The stage show is where its at.

Kreed

How do so of you deal with conspiracy theorists? I'm talking like the 'government sends brain waves through the telephone' theorists?

Who, apparently, are coming out the woodwork now?

One of my friends is a conspiracy theorist, but it's mainly black conspiracy theories related to the Nation of Islam/Farrakhan sermons. Basically anything negative about the "white devils" is true without any real proof or facts necessary. White people are evil clones of black space men? Yes. White people created AIDs to destroy black people? Yes. Etc... I generally just avoid talking about "black power-ish" subjects and setting him off, but recently we got into a long argument over this crap after he tried to talk me into watching a "documentary" called Hidden Colors and it's sequel Hidden Colors 2. He wouldn't really tell me what it was about, but thankfully I was able to look up the trailer on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noFwrMOF2lI

I was actually tempted to still watch the documentary simply because of how ridiculous it has to be after hearing some of this stuff. But anyway we ended the argument after agreeing he won't be asking me to watch this movie again, or any others like it hopefully.

harSon

Banned
Can you recommend some that aren't melodramatic hardship-fests? I would like to see some.

Recommending black films that aren't melodramatic is pretty easy, but black films that don't focus in on the black struggle on top of that is a bit harder. Do you films that are absent of both, or just ones that aren't melodramatic and overly morbid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom