• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorillaz

I've done nothing but group projects for the past year and half in college. I've been lucky tho because the groups i'm in aren't trying to fuck around. We break down what needs to be done and get to it.

ReiGun

Wow. People really do go crazy when they think they're being accused of racism.

I've never had much trouble with group projects. I just show up, do my part, and let the teacher know if my classmates pull some foul shit.

The worst thing about arguments over whether someone can truly sympathize with a female, gay or racial minority character is these people have been sympathisizing with the over-represented white straight male for decades. It can't be done in reverse? Really?
I can't help but laugh at that shit. Literally anyone who isn't a straight white male is proof positive that people can learn to relate to those not exactly like them. We wouldn't be able to enjoy most entertainment otherwise.

My fucking group isn't down with casting a black dude as a lead. Fuck these dudes.

Wow fuck those guys.

DominoKid

I've done nothing but group projects for the past year and half in college. I've been lucky tho because the groups i'm in aren't trying to fuck around. We break down what needs to be done and get to it.

Good group experiences make the bad ones so much worse.
I basically had to write off one group project because my partners were just determined to keep me on the outside.

Morris, they are saying they never envisioned the character as black. I wrote the fucking thing so anyone could play the role.

Dat Hunger Games drama. Though I think a lot of people just naturally picture characters as generic white unless otherwise described because it's force fed to us in pretty much all media.

harSon

Banned
Morris, they are saying they never envisioned the character as black. I wrote the fucking thing so anyone could play the role.

It's true. Two of the people haven't done shit.

I'm glad I was pretty good friends with everyone I did group projects with in film school, and they were all pretty good people. That's a pretty shitty situation they're putting you in though, especially if you wrote the damn thing.

Slayven

Dat Hunger Games drama. Though I think a lot of people just naturally picture characters as generic white unless otherwise described because it's force fed to us in pretty much all media.

Thing about that the author pretty much said Rue was black, without saying she was black.

Thing about that the author pretty much said Rue was black, without saying she was black.

Oh I'm aware.

My two statements weren't actually related to each other in that manor. I wrote it pretty unclear though. First statement was just pointing out the parrallel between the hunger games drama and Caps situation. The other statement was just idle commentary on the phenomenon itself.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Remember Save the Pearls?

save-the-pearls-revealing-eden-book-cover.jpg

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=484356

Never gets old how hilariously awful this is. And yet some publishing company actually published this book. And presumably will publish the next two in the series?

RedSwirl

Wow. That's a damn shame.

It just reminds you that death can come for you at anytime, without warning.

Uncle just passed last night. Catastrophic stroke at 51.

I don't really know enough to directly call it out in this case, but deep south healthcare/eating habits/etc has taken too many lives in my family.

Uncle just passed last night. Catastrophic stroke at 51.

I don't really know enough to directly call it out in this case, but deep south healthcare/eating habits/etc has taken too many lives in my family.

my condolences man. I'm starting to get worried man people I know having heart attacks, my manager who is 47, vegeterian his whole life and went to gym daily had a heart attack yesterday :(

It's a fresh fruit allergy :( Alongside melons, I'm allergic to strawberries, avacados, and bananas. It used to just be some noticeable itching/burning in my throat, gums and tongue, but the last time I had watermelon, my ass broke out in hives.

I'm surprised you can go outside.

From the GTAV youtube comments tumblr:

It's true and you know it. Mexicans and Asians.

None of the protesting group members are black are they...

whiter than my father.

I'm glad I was pretty good friends with everyone I did group projects with in film school, and they were all pretty good people. That's a pretty shitty situation they're putting you in though, especially if you wrote the damn thing.
I'm also producing it. The thing is we are supposed to pick the cast as a group. I don't give a fuck tho. I cast the dude. Guy said he would do it for free if we helped him with his reel.

All the more reason to cast him as black then.

Yep.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Doesn't matter my money, my camera, my movie. So yeah I just cast this dude who is prefect for the role. Once the other producers is out of class we are putting out foot down.

Remind them of the "executive" part of "executive producer".

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I'm also producing it. The thing is we are supposed to pick the cast as a group. I don't give a fuck tho. I cast the dude. Guy said he would do it for free if we helped him with his reel.

At least you are the producer. I had something similar happen to me (gender instead of race), but I wasn't the lead: just writer and DP. The only thing I could do was be salty and get over it. :/

I'm bugging out that she has no dislikes in that video....

I mean youtube commentators do realise she's black right? That's like an automatic 30,000 dislikes normally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom