• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe a crash is good right about now, let the industry reevaluate things. Nickel and dime DLC needs to go, the COD franchise needs to take a 5 year break, and this whole no used game philosophy need to go away.

RedSwirl

I don't mind the media hub shit. If I can build a new gaming PC I'll probably hook it up to my TV and use it as a media hub. It makes the console more relevant to more people, and Apple's eventually gonna bring all that iOS shit to the TV anyway. It's inevitable, bu-

quDcVQU.png

Miszt.png

cdyhybrid

If Ubi would actually push it, Rayman would. Rayman Origins is so much god damn better than anything Mario's put out in the 2d space since Yoshi's Island.

From a game quality-standpoint it's certainly possible, but there are very few franchises that could ever compete with the Mario brand. Rayman ain't one of them.

Call of Duty's brand isn't nearly as rock-solid as Mario.

It honestly doesn't matter what happens. Gamers will still buy it. They know that. If there was a group who is seriously best at talking the talk but eating shit, gamers take the shit cake and ask for seconds.

But gamers aren't who Xbox is after.

I said they're going to buy it anyway. Doesn't matter if that's who they're after. Anyway they're trying to hit some home entertainment section hard but they're coming in rather late. Even people like my parents, who held out on their SD for fucking ever have an HD now but they're setting up a Roku.

Just saying all I ever see out of gamers is whining with no real fucking back up via dollars.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I thought about going there and stuff.

I'll be on Thursday through like...Monday or so.

I'm about to do stuff for the next month. Gonna be gone all June.

BTW - I was kinda hoping to do a podcast in that time but I guess that's up in the air.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
I said they're going to buy it anyway. Doesn't matter if that's who they're after. Anyway they're trying to hit some home entertainment section hard but they're coming in rather late. Even people like my parents, who held out on their SD for fucking ever have an HD now but they're setting up a Roku.

They are relying on word of mouth momentum. That's how CoD and MS solidified their positions last gen. I bet the number of people that bought CoD on the 360 just because their friends bought it on that platform to get DLC a month ahead of everyone else was huge.

cdyhybrid

Honestly, what is?

Exactly. The Mario brand's clout with gamers allows Nintendo to do things with the franchise that pretty much no one else could get away with.

CoD has a limit, a breaking point. Battlefield's existence as a legitimate competitor gives them less room to screw around already, and eventually some people are going to get tired of buying a new CoD game every year, especially when if you can't turn in last year's version for a few bucks to use towards the new one.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Just saying all I ever see out of gamers is whining with no real fucking back up via dollars.

Bui they have an alternative. It will likely suffer from a lot of the same faults, but I doubt it will have something as ridiculous as that 24 hours thing. It's not like when the 360 got the head start.
early adopters are/always have been. I like your new avatar by the way didn't know you were a fan.

Been playing since Aleph and his funky crew went to hell.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy

The truth of it all.

DominoKid

Exactly. The Mario brand's clout with gamers allows Nintendo to do things with the franchise that pretty much no one else could get away with.

CoD has a limit, a breaking point. Battlefield's existence as a legitimate competitor gives them less room to screw around already, and eventually some people are going to get tired of buying a new CoD game every year, especially when if you can't turn in last year's version for a few bucks to use towards the new one.

i dont know man. i think folks are willing to try something else for a bit, but it always comes back to COD. at least from what i've seen.

and we get to the crux of the issue. gamers arent about standing up for principles.

Bui they have an alternative. It will likely suffer from a lot of the same faults, but I doubt it will have something as ridiculous as that 24 hours thing. It's not like when the 360 got the head start.

I never bought this line of thinking. People have games they're interested in and buy their console based off that.

and we get to the crux of the issue. gamers arent about standing up for principles.

They aren't. They want change but they won't make sacrifices. So good luck getting anything you want.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
These are the same people that complain about how dumbed down this generation is and then post every game releasing this month in the pickup thread.

cdyhybrid

i dont know man. i think folks are willing to try something else for a bit, but it always comes back to COD. at least from what i've seen.

I'm not saying sell all your Activision stock because CoD is about to go down the toilet or anything, but I can't see that franchise maintaining what they've done recently for a long time. It's going to slow down at some point with the way they're milking it.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing

CoD has hooks and a low barrier to entry. It has, and always will be its major selling point. That formula will remain the same, and there will be a decent turnover in terms of numbers to replace "lost" fans.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Halo 4 probably earned CoD more fans. "Hey if you like this game, I know of a version that's not half-assed, it's called CoD."

Funny enough, CoD4 was what got me on to CoD (briefly) from Halo 3. I dunno if it was more my style of shooter, or if IW made the game feel like everyone's style of shooter, but myself and many friends migrated over from halo.

It honestly doesn't matter what happens. Gamers will still buy it. They know that. If there was a group who is seriously best at talking the talk but eating shit, gamers take the shit cake and ask for seconds.

TRUUUUU

I'll be on Thursday through like...Monday or so.

I'm about to do stuff for the next month. Gonna be gone all June.

BTW - I was kinda hoping to do a podcast in that time but I guess that's up in the air.

what day after this Thursday is good for you?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
lol damn.

Don't even get me started on how I'm supposed to care about Remember Me because it has a female protagonist but ignore that it's the most 'me too' game I've ever seen.

Music's pretty good though. And I know I'm part of the hypocrites. Still gonna complain about it though. That was a tangent.

RedSwirl

I guess I'm one of those people who didn't get caught in the trap of Xbox 360 and Xbox Live earlier this gen. I almost did at several points but one announcement or another kept me from pulling the trigger. I guess getting a decent PC in 2007 really did change the course of my gaming.

Every time there was a 360 exclusive I wanted they'd eventually announce a PC version. Eventually I ended up getting a 360 in 2010 for a handful of exclusive XBLA games. Rented and played through the Halo and Gears games for the first time and while they're really good, but I don't live and die on those franchises like a lot of people do.

I could understand someone begrudgingly buying this shit because they're conflicted about Forza and eventually Halo 5 though. Shit, I've been stuck on Nintendo consoles for years because of Mario, Zelda, and Super Smash Bros. At this point some fucking ridiculous exclusives would have to hit the Xbox One for me to ever get one, and I would basically use the machine only when I want to play those specific things.

Right now though, pretty much every upcoming game I'm excited for is gonna have a PC version. I know that eventually there are probably gonna be some niche Japanese games that are still console-exclusive, and I'll eventually get a PS4 for those, probably after I get a Wii U for Mario and Smash Bros by default.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Right now though, pretty much every upcoming game I'm excited for is gonna have a PC version. I know that eventually there are probably gonna be some niche Japanese games that are still console-exclusive, and I'll eventually get a PS4 for those, probably after I get a Wii U for Mario and Smash Bros by default.

I don't know man. Console gaming in Japan is becoming a dinosaur replaced by phones and handhelds and arcades.

Kreed

The meltdowns on the Gaming thread and in OT threads actually changing subjects to talk about the new Xbox have been hilarious to read. Just a few days ago I was reading threads about how doomed the Wii U was, now there are threads going "The Wii U isn't so bad". But any GAF regular should be used to this by now, it happens every year, just with a different console manufacturer.

At the end of the day though, as bad as people are acting like this reveal was, the moment MS drops a couple of "must have" games, people will be lining up to buy this system, with or without the ability to play used games/old 360 games, etc.... It's the same reason why the Vita went from being GAF's 3DS killer, to the "struggle system", because the 3DS got games and the Vita didn't. And if MS gets the games, they'll be fine too and you'll see these same "they won't get my money" posters buying the system.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
The meltdowns on the Gaming thread and in OT threads actually changing subjects to talk about the new Xbox have been hilarious to read. Just a few days ago I was reading threads about how doomed the Wii U was, now there are threads going "The Wii U isn't so bad". But any GAF regular should be used to this by now, it happens every year, just with a different console manufacturer.

At the end of the day though, as bad as people are acting like this reveal was, the moment MS drops a couple of "must have" games, people will be lining up to buy this system, with or without the ability to play used games/old 360 games, etc.... It's the same reason why the Vita went from being GAF's 3DS killer, to the "struggle system", because the 3DS got games and the Vita didn't. And if MS gets the games, they'll be fine too and you'll see these same "they won't get my money" posters buying the system.
Kreed speaks truth. It's the cycle of GAF. And most consumers in the video game community really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom