• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominoKid

Steam is pretty gdlk. The only reason I don't use it more is my laptop is a piece of shit I can't stand playing games on.

yeah Football Manager whoops my computer's ass. i can't imagine playing a real game on it.
i'm also afraid to start back playing Football Manager because it's addictive as FUCK. i could and did play that shit ALL day when i was into it.

SexQO.gif

His album is gonna be awesome tho

Considering steam is on the PC, an open platform with alternatives, has an offline mode, and takes the one negative it has(no used since its 100% digital) and makes it almost irrelevant with the amount of sales and general subsidized pricing compared to retail games, they're not even close to being the same thing.

I was reffering to the anti consumer statement because of the no used games.

It's better to compare it to other consoles. PS4 is getting love right now, but they're pretty likely to reveal something similar I think. That's when this becomes a non-issue because being able to rent or borrow games ain't saving the WiiL.

DominoKid

Ya'll need to read the entire thread. Good discussion in there. I personally think Walt is wrong, but I felt it was such a well written post I thought I'd share.

He wrong as hell, but it's an entertaining thread. Posted it in GAF-Hop too. I figured they'd get a kick out of it.

It'd be one thing if Kanye didn't acknowledge the inconsistencies of ideals & actions, but he wears that shit on his sleeve. As long as he's making good music I don't give 2 fucks.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

36243-slow-clap-citizen-kane-orson-w-JFoV.gif

I've felt like this about Kanye since 808's though and the Ayn Rand statement is ether in my opinion. And he's not wrong Kanye is a hollow consumer rapper that loves to run around defining himself as being an "artist" because he can name check products sold in Europe. He learned well from Jay... but on the flip side I wouldn't care enough to write paragraphs describing that

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

alright here's the thing

Steam doesn't have no used games because they wanted you to stop buying used games. It has no used games because it's a digital distribution service on a platform where the main competition is illegal piracy. Used gaming is an unfortunate casualty, not the target.

So first of all, the difference is that it rubs me the wrong way that Microsoft's intention to stop people from legally selling a used game, as opposed to Steam trying to stop people from illegally pirating a game.

Second, Microsoft already charges for things that are free on literally every other gaming or entertainment platform in existence: online play, access to streaming video services, etc. So for them to charge for standard free stuff and then go around as the only one to keep you from lending a game to a friend is ridiculous.

Third, Microsoft's system is always online. The server doesn't time you out and lock you out of gameplay for 24 hours, but it's still always online. Steam is not.

Fourth, Steam usually offers significantly lower prices, if not on launch day then during its ridiculous sales, to offset the fact that you can't sell the games. Microsoft is not. Steam also adds features that disc-based PC games, and games that are on other PC services, do not.

FyreWulff

I'm almost betting they still won't have day 1 digital purchase option

I mentioned this on twitter but

1) I want to see someone passthrough 3 Xbones and play the third one through the first one.

2) I wonder if they're hoping people will passthrough their PS4 / Wii Us, so that even when people are playing any other console, they still can see Xbox invites/etc. Let people set up the Xbone as the 'top layer', so they never 'leave the ecosystem' (i feel dirty for using management phrases like that)

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I see nothing wrong in that Yeezy post. All truth. I'll read the entire thread later.

To add onto the steam discussion, not every game I own has drm attached to it. It's just super handy to be able to run everything from one platform.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
So I got switched to a new team before I went to Hawaii because we were "too good and talent needs to be spread around". Been back for less than 2 weeks and my new team leader keeps trying to be a mother figure instead.

I damn near threw a chair at this woman today. I can almost deal with her being an inefficient, indecisive wannabe of a team lead - but rolling eyes in my face when I remind her that our job is more important than studying for a promotion that I was already qualified for months ago? She's lucky she didn't catch a Miguel left drop right then and there.

FreeMufasa

So I got switched to a new team before I went to Hawaii because we were "too good and talent needs to be spread around". Been back for less than 2 weeks and my new team leader keeps trying to be a mother figure instead.

I damn near threw a chair at this woman today. I can almost deal with her being an inefficient, indecisive wannabe of a team lead - but rolling eyes in my face when I remind her that our job is more important than studying for a promotion that I was already qualified for months ago? She's lucky she didn't catch a Miguel left drop right then and there.

Lol.

Man..........you guys got some crazy co-workers.

Anyway, here's hoping next gen FIFA actually looks like that

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I never bought this line of thinking. People have games they're interested in and buy their console based off that.
More or less... but I'll have to admit, BluRay was the deciding factor in me getting a PS3 over an 360, and my PS3 gets far more BluRay action than game action. Last game I bought/played on it was Red Dead Redemption... and honestly if RDR had a PC port, I wouldn't have bought the PS3 version. I've also downloaded a few "classics" like the Final Fantasy games, but never got around to playing them... partially due to my own preferences and partially due to my wife being a pain in the ass when I play games on the TV about making too much noise and leaving me completely alone when I'm on the computer.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Noticed that there's a stark difference in the way industry pros react to claims of racism or misrepresentation of minorities as opposed to claims of sexism and women's rights/ representation.

Usually when a new article comes up about women in games, our team shares it around and discusses it at length. Everyone gets involved, because it is the thing to do.

The few times any decent articles (there's a fair amount of BS out there) about minorities in games come up, conversation dries up faster than a desert. Usually the one or two people bold enough to speak up deliver some "well, there has been progress" nonsense and i'm left feeling frustrated.

Sorry, just needed to rant.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Lot of people are scared to say the wrong thing most likely. Geeks and gamers aren't afraid to spout off about females even if their opinion risks being seen as misogynistic. People are more afraid of being seen as racist or intolerant so rather than have meaningful dialogue they keep quiet if they have a mixed opinion on the issue or are unsure of how what they say will be interpreted.

Which sucks, because it stifles discussion necessary for true progress.

Slayven

Noticed that there's a stark difference in the way industry pros react to claims of racism or misrepresentation of minorities as opposed to claims of sexism and women's rights/ representation.

Usually when a new article comes up about women in games, our team shares it around and discusses it at length. Everyone gets involved, because it is the thing to do.

The few times any decent articles (there's a fair amount of BS out there) about minorities in games come up, conversation dries up faster than a desert. Usually the one or two people bold enough to speak up deliver some "well, there has been progress" nonsense and i'm left feeling frustrated.

The noise to sound ratio in those threads gets so toxic it becomes physically tiring. You get sso many people speaking from a place of ignorance privilege like they are experts, it is fucking scary.

DominoKid

not like this Wallace...

i don't like that at all for him because i don't have any faith in a good F4 movie. not unless its made by Marvel.

^Sony is going to have a big showing too. It's the reason they got all the tech shit out of the way.

not like this Wallace...

i don't like that at all for him because i don't have any faith in a good F4 movie. not unless its made by Marvel.

Outside of Iron Man the marvel films are shit.

DominoKid

i love em all but i have low standards after most of the non-marvel made movies.

quick question: i'm applying for PR jobs w/ agencies. many of them have partners. like 3 or 4. should i blast them all or would that be in poor taste? i feel weird sending it to more than 1 partner at the agency.

Places like Kotaku have made the conversation so fucking toxic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom