• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't she pregnant?!

Think so which means her clothes should definitely be fitted out instead of tight stuff but Kanye can't dress women for shit which he proved with his line.

JxvJI0W.jpg

Onemic

Think so which means her clothes should definitely be fitted out instead of tight stuff but Kanye can't dress women for shit which he proved with his line.

JxvJI0W.jpg

The middle one looks like someone put a garbage bag on her and added some fur to make it look pretty.

DominoKid

JxvJI0W.jpg

that doesn't look any worse than the usual shit you see going down high fashion runways. it's basically just art that you wear. most of it's not practical.

Onemic

anyone here a fan of kung fu/karate flicks?

Wanna get into them. I actually have a copy of the 36th Chamber of Shaolin but haven't bothered to watch it yet.

Although not Kung Fu related, I've also always wanted to watch Seven Samurai, hear way too many good things about it.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Hero is my favorite of all time. Does Kung Fu Hustle count? That's always been my second favorite. Both are more mainstream modern films as I am not in touch with any of the classics.

that doesn't look any worse than the usual shit you see going down high fashion runways. it's basically just art that you wear. most of it's not practical.

Some stuff is bad but still fits people. A lot of his stuff is neither inspired nor well constructed.

By contrast

alexander-mcqueen-hm-1.jpg

GucciSpring2011Runway4.jpg

Not really into much of any of these looks but you can see the difference, I'm not big on fashion and I can. This is better though:

GucciSpring2011Runway5.jpg

Imm0rt4l

Yeah a lot of the recent big blockbuster Chinese flicks lean heavily on the propaganda/pro-Chinese bandwagon. Donnie Yen's films especially. Which sucks since he's China's biggest star right now and he's a wuxia legend.

If you haven't seen it though, watch the Karate Kid remake. The fight choreography and story are really good. Has Jackie Chan's best role in years. It's better than the original, but haters won't let you admit that.

you mean wushu? I can't recall any donnie yen wuxia flicks though I'm sure he's in something besides his short spot in Hero. Also I agree. China seems to be making bigger budget movies now, especially since Crouching Tiger, most of stuff I see now doesn't really have heart though.

One of my favorite martial arts films of the 90's was a pretty simple one. Fist of Legend.

DominoKid

i just see artsy clothes hanging off people that could use a healthy helping of grandma's cooking.

So guys what is it with a Black fraternity that attracts the whole school population of black people?

it's just like the lunch in a high school cafeteria, except on a larger scale. people roll w/ what they know.

i just see artsy clothes hanging off people that could a healthy helping of grandma's cooking.

it's just like the lunch in a high school cafeteria, except on a larger scale. people roll w/ what they know.

Then you're not trying. I'm not even big on fashion and it's easy to see Kanye's shit is a schizophrenic mess.

harSon

Banned
you mean wushu? I can't recall any donnie yen wuxia flicks though I'm sure he's in something besides his short spot in Hero. Also I agree. China seems to be making bigger budget movies now, especially since Crouching Tiger, most of stuff I see now doesn't really have heart though.

One of my favorite martial arts films of the 90's was a pretty simple one. Fist of Legend.

Well, he's in a movie called Wu Xia, although it's not really like Hero. It's still good none the less.

Ip Man 1 and 2 and Legend of the Fist are some of his bigger newer ones. He was also in Bodyguards and Assassins. There's a bunch of lesser known ones that he's dope in though like Dragon Tiger Gate (which was based on an old import Comic called Blood Sword Dynasty I think). Flashpoint is pretty good too but it's more gunplay than Martial Arts. There's probably a bunch more that I haven't seen too since I don't import.

harSon

Banned
Naw.

I recall him in a few Wuxia films. But yeah, you're right.

Outside of Ip Man (the first film isn't really all that indicative of the genre IMO, but the second definitely is) and Wu Xia, his Wu Xia output has been pretty mediocre. The Lost Bladesman, Legend of the Fist, 14 Blades, Ip Man 2, Dragon Tiger Gate and Seven Swords were all below average. Bodyguards and Assassins was decent though.

Imm0rt4l

Well, he's in a movie called Wu Xia, although it's not really like Hero. It's still good none the less.

Oh, I remember that movie, watched the first 30 minutes or so. I didn't like it. I kinda like what it tried to do though. The whole romanticizing the fight sequences into something thatt was larger than life. Not sure if I'm missing out, but it wasn't my steez.

Naw.

Wuxia is "martial arts fiction".

I know what wuxia is, I was referring to him being a 'wuxia legend'

edits are confusing me.

harSon

Banned
Oh, I remember that movie, watched the first 30 minutes or so. I didn't like it. I kinda like what it tried to do though. The whole romanticizing the fight sequences into something thatt was larger than life. Not sure if I'm missing out, but it wasn't my steez.

You should have kept watching it. That aspect of the film is only true for the first 30-40 minutes. Afterwards, it transitions over into a more classic martial arts film. It's a lot like (only highlight if you want to be spoiled)
A History of Violence
in its narrative construction, albeit significantly more action heavy.

Definitely give it another chance.

If you want good Donnie Yen you can go no further than SPL and Flash Point. His better days are behind him imo. They need a new charismatic guy that can play to audiences over here like Jackie and Jet did.

JxvJI0W.jpg

It's amazing how these outfits use so much fabric and still look so flimsy.

True, but generally an outfit should be able to withstand a light breeze. Half of these outfits probably couldn't manage that.

Somebody should compile the Black-GAF introductions from the 2-3 OTs into a single post or two that can be linked in the OP.

That might not be such a great idea. Putting all that personal information in one spot could backfire in the worst of ways if someone wanted to play GAF detective.

Imm0rt4l

You should have kept watching it. That aspect of the film is only true for the first 30-40 minutes. Afterwards, it transitions over into a more classic martial arts film. It's a lot like (only highlight if you want to be spoiled)
A History of Violence
in its narrative construction, albeit significantly more action heavy.

Definitely give it another chance.

I think I'll do that, maybe I'll peep that last movie you mentioned as being decent as well.

If you want good Donnie Yen you can go no further than SPL and Flash Point. His better days are behind him imo. They need a new charismatic guy that can play to audiences over here like Jackie and Jet did.

I thought flash point was ok, I agree it seems that his better days are behind. I haven't watched any of the other ip man movies after 2(don't think they even starred him anyways). Ip Man 2 wasn't that good imo, 1 was definitely better.

A lot of Donnie's films aren't even leaving China. It's just sad, but I'm not sure if kung fu films are even popular anymore.

I think it's a matter of making them in a more appealing atmosphere. Plus asian leads are probably some of the lowest on the totem pole as far as what studios are willing to do. They always have to throw someone in with them and never let them stand alone.

harSon

Banned
As far as recent quality Wu Xia films, the only two I can recommend whole heartedly are Reign of Assassins, Fearless and Curse of the Golden Flowers (a lot of people are down on this film, but I dug the tragedy aspect of the film).

Everything else within the genre has been merely competent. I'm not a fan of Red Cliff, but a lot of people seem to like it. Detective Dee has its issues but it's still entertaining. If you can pretend that the last 35 minutes of True Legend doesn't exist, it's probably the best example of a modern Kung Fu film throwback that I can think of. Shaolin is actually pretty damn good now that I think about it.

Avoid Tai Chi Zero like the plague, and same with its sequel Tai Chi Hero.

Everything else is pretty forgettable and not worth mentioning IMO.

Imm0rt4l

I think it's a matter of making them in a more appealing atmosphere. Plus asian leads are probably some of the lowest on the totem pole as far as what studios are willing to do. They always have to throw someone in with them and never let them stand alone.

Yea, Asians easily have it the worst in Hollywood in terms of representation. I remember watching expendables 1 and being kinda salty that Jet Li had little screen time and what little screen time he had was him being relegated to short guy jokes and really poor fight choreography.

A lot of Donnie's films aren't even leaving China. It's just sad, but I'm not sure if kung fu films are even popular anymore.

It's popular but the fascination that the West had with it during the Rumble in the Bronx/Rush Hour/Hero period has waned.

I think I'll do that, maybe I'll peep that last movie you mentioned as being decent as well.

I thought flash point was ok, I agree it seems that his better days are behind. I haven't watched any of the other ip man movies after 2(don't think they even starred him anyways). Ip Man 2 wasn't that good imo, 1 was definitely better.

There's only the two. They're making a third one in 3D though. That's not to be confused with the other movie about Ip Man that's coming out soon. Shit was in production for something like 6 years. Name escapes me at the moment.

Yeah that buddy movie shit is annoying. The largest issue though is that Western studios have trouble making quality Martial Arts flicks and the Eastern studios have to have this obnoxious National Pride angle (especially since China got Hong Kong back). It makes it difficult to market the films in other regions.

True Legend did go incredibly long and meandered at the end, I'll agree. Detective Dee was more appealing to me for the mystery aspects. Love me some Detective style mysteries.

harSon

Banned
Yea, Asians easily have it the worst in Hollywood in terms of representation. I remember watching expendables 1 and being kinda salty that Jet Li had little screen time and what little screen time he had was him being relegated to short guy jokes and really poor fight choreography.

I plan on talking about it whenever the Minorities in Media podcast comes up. While Black representation within film and television is certainly lacking; Asian, Hispanic and Middle-Eastern (Well I suppose they're represented, but only as terrorists) representation is downright disgraceful.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I'm obviously using blanket statements for the sake of debate, but pretty much any Japanese game I can think of, especially JRPGs.

Whenever I think of a legitimately good video game story, whose narrative is good enough to elevate game play or even shroud deficiencies, my mind instantly gravitates towards the West's output.

Stuff like Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate, Max Payne, Tim Schafer/Dave Grossman's Lucas Art games, The Witcher 1 & 2, Deus Ex, Vampire: The Masquerade, The Walking Dead, Half-Life series, Alan Wake, Soul Reaver, System Shock II, some of the Elder Scrolls series, etc.

Those games have stories that I could find myself consuming if the gameplay were stripped away and I were forced to experience it in novel, comic or film form. There just aren't many Japanese video game narratives where I could make that same claim. They exist, but not at nearly the numbers IMO. I love Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, Okami, Ocarina of Time, etc. but those are great complimentary stories to a video game, and not necessarily representative of narratives that are sound in their own right. As I said, having a distinction between video game story telling and other forms of storytelling is not necessarily a bad thing, but it's definitely a tangible distinction between Western and Japanese philosophies when it comes to constructing games.

Basically, I typically leave Japanese games thinking "Damn, that was a great fucking game," and never "Damn, that game had some brilliant story telling!" I enjoy the experience as a whole but the narrative definitely takes a back seat to the game play which is front and center. On the flip side, I've come away from Western games thinking "Jesus Christ, that story was actually pretty damn good. I can see that making a decent film if handled correctly." Hell, there are many Western games where sound story telling propels an otherwise mediocre experience in terms of graphics and game play.

I think the differences have more to do with the differences between storytelling style between East and West, same as it is in film. Granted, in certain cases, you can easily see where the priorities vastly differ in gameplay and presentation. At the end of the day, the construct of the narratives and storylines themselves all come down to the writer and what the studio allows. Also, whatever genre is the flavor of the month in their respective countries.

Whenever I think of good game stories it's a mix, The Silent Hill series easily sits high on the list. Killer 7 and System Shock 2 are right underneath, followed by a lot of your list, as well as MGS 1 (4 is a fucking convoluted mess and what's wrong with both countries), Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Ocarina of Time, etc... The major factor of these lists are that they are the example and not the rule.

To add on, none of those games you listed are known for having bad gameplay, so you didn't have a shitty game mar your experience overall...

Each of them tells their stories in their own special way: some a lot more subtle than others. I don't necessarily feel that you need to follow specific guidelines to have a story that would be "good enough" for Tv, Film, or a book, especially when considering that a lot of media between those three are just as trash as videogame stories, and some movies are known more for their ideas, more-so than their sophistication in narrative and plot.

I also think that the West's notoriety for having big budget cutscenes, huge set-pieces, and graphics tend to make a lot of games seem like they have a lot more structure to their narratives then they actually have. Granted, the East is following suit, I don't think everything needs to be spelled out, and something like Ocarina of Time would work just as well as any other story in a film.

I tend to think that a lot of Japan's storytelling catches flack, more because of the subject matter of the most prominent games, and less because they are somehow inferior to the west in terms of storytelling. For every teenager fighting God, there is a marine gunning down terrorists. That's a different story though.

Imm0rt4l

Is Red Cliff really Wuxia. Most of the film concentrates on the actors rather than martial arts. Red Cliff is great, but watch the blu ray three hour full version. The one on netflix is a spliced together edited version.

It helps if you're a fan of Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

Red Cliff isn't Wuxia.

I plan on talking about it whenever the Minorities in Media podcast comes up. While Black representation within film and television is certainly lacking; Asian, Hispanic and Middle-Eastern (Well I suppose they're represented, but only as terrorists) representation is downright disgraceful.

word.

I can't even think of any up an coming Latino actors, though Michael Pena his doing his thing I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom