• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

harSon

Banned
Yeah I feel for our asian, middle eastern brothers and sisters. I wouldn't say that about hispanics though, they operate a sizable chunk of Hollywood and going.

Do they really? I mean they're certainly present to some capacity, but it's typically within lesser roles. I can't think of many tent pole Hispanic (excluding the Spanish) actors who are being given sizable roles. In terms of actors that are actually in Hollywood films (People like Diego Luna and Gael García Bernal are great actors, but they're not a huge presence within Hollywood); the only actors who come to mind are Edward James Olmos, Michael Pena, George Lopez, Danny Trejo, Luis Guzman, Jennifer Lopez and Salma Hayek. There's definitely a few more, and even some of the ones I listed are typically restricted to supporting roles. But they have the disservice of Italians, Spanish and more tanned/"ethnic" look white actors/actresses populating a lot of the roles that would otherwise be given to them.

They're definitely a lot better represented in terms of image though. There aren't many stereotypes regarding them being pushed considering their characters tend to be racially neutral in terms of their character's relation to the narrative. I'm expecting that to change a bit though as Drug Cartel films begin to become more common.

Edit: Also, Wes Studi and Adam Beach have Native American roles on lock down. It's ridiculous how true it is Lol.

Imm0rt4l

I think it definitely teeters the line between Historical Epic and Wu Xia. It's way too fantastical and over the top to be a straight faced Historical Epic though.

Yea it's close. I guess I'd be hard pressed to find a Chinese film without some fantastical element/propaganda.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
ipLonWf0drkhb.gif

Dr. Dynasty or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Absentee Father

That is not the original thread title you suggested, Devo. We'd all be banned if I had used the title you sent lol
How come Satch dont want us man
I don't know, man. I don't know.

DY_nasty

I generally have disagreements with much in the Manshion thread.

Gonna start bringing the fashion discussion here in the future...

If you want folks to talk under their breath about how you dress.....model your style after that thread.

Granted, I steer towards the understated (plain) look.

Imm0rt4l

I don't want to say I would never take cues on fashion from anyone on gaf, but that guy Ashodin was an active member of dating age (maybe he wasn't giving advice though). Just something to think about when it comes to gaf as a community. Real recognize real though so it's not too difficult to find someone on the same wavelength, it might be easier to do that in here(especially for hair).

I can't with some of the stuff posted in there as "good" fashion. It's not even that I consider it too out there or avant-garde, it just looks like crap.

DY_nasty

I can make some silly shit look good

what a lot of people miss is that the outfit isn't the only thing people focus on. if you can't wear it right, then you're just wasting money

I can make some silly shit look good

what a lot of people miss is that the outfit isn't the only thing people focus on. if you can't wear it right, then you're just wasting money

Timedog can make some silly shit look good but the stuff isn't that silly if it can be worn by someone. A lot of the fashion I see today compliments no one. I came across this one site after google searching floral jeans (which I think are tacky as fuck by the way), it was a blog for women who basically show off their purchases, and a lot of it was "an expose on how to look frumpy while thinking you look unique and chic."

DY_nasty

Timedog can make some silly shit look good but the stuff isn't that silly if it can be worn by someone. A lot of the fashion I see today compliments no one. I came across this one site after google searching floral jeans (which I think are tacky as fuck by the way), it was a blog for women who basically show off their purchases, and a lot of it was "an expose on how to look frumpy while thinking you look unique and chic."

the shit kills me

whether its knowing your body or realizing what kind of confident you are, people need to take longer looks in the mirror

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Yea. I have no problem with trying to dress fly, or express yourself in ways that might seem out there to some. Just make sure you look good when you step outside of the house.

Imm0rt4l

I'm making it a point this year to start taking my dress shirts to tailors for alterations since I have a big chest and neck. I hate whenever I buy a shirt and it doesn't taper on the sides, looks like a damn dress. Not looking forward to paying the price, but it'll look better in the end I suppose.

DY_nasty

Also

if your friends, associates, coworkers, people you meet on the street say that you like ridiculous

there's a chance you do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom