• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Too fucked up. Sounds like whoever was involved with that is going to get nailed to the wall.

Good.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Has this been discussed in here? It's a short film featuring an all-black, all-female cast. Just watched it, and thought it was really touching. And built around some good music.

The Door

Described Ava DuVernay:

Not really my kind of thing but the music was dope.

harSon

Banned
I could never bring myself to watch it despite being a fan of the comic. As bad as the comic was, the lack of black characters in an Atlanta setting was too much to stomach, made worse by the omission of
Tyrese
from the television show. Although it seems that this last point is no longer the case.

DY_nasty

I could never bring myself to watch it despite being a fan of the comic. As bad as the comic was, the lack of black characters in an Atlanta setting was too much to stomach, made worse by the omission of
Tyrese
from the television show. Although it seems that this last point is no longer the case.

I hate to sound like "that guy", but the lack of black characters in everything doesn't shock you?

ReiGun

I watch one episode of Walking Dead season 2 every couple months. I'll catch up to current episodes eventually.

In other news, Luther is dope.

Can't predict crazy

I thought I figured it out. When I get my morning coffee, I'd go by and shoot the shit for a few minutes but work is so hectic I'd say something like "I'm swamped, got to go chip away at my backlog of work" sometimes she'd say something similar. Worked for months.

I walked to a co-workers desk (the guy who is just like her). She was there, it was cool we chatted. And then BOOM.

"Lets clear the air. Why do you dislike me?"

FUUUUUUUUUU. i was pretty sure that I never let on that I wasn't interested in being friends with her.

"We used to friends, casual friends at least"

guy chimes in "you guys used to talk about movies and music"

motherfuckers discussed this before obviously.

All I could muster was "I don't think I ever did anythiing mean or unfriendly to you" I wanted to spit hot fire but I kept a cool enough head to talk myself out of it.

harSon

Banned
I hate to sound like "that guy", but the lack of black characters in everything doesn't shock you?

It doesn't shock me at all, but I'm not going to roll with the punches and accept it either. I know it's not going to amount to anything, but I personally refuse to watch television shows or films that are white washed.

I thought I figured it out. When I get my morning coffee, I'd go by and shoot the shit for a few minutes but work is so hectic I'd say something like "I'm swamped, got to go chip away at my backlog of work" sometimes she'd say something similar. Worked for months.

I walked to a co-workers desk (the guy who is just like her). She was there, it was cool we chatted. And then BOOM.

"Lets clear the air. Why do you dislike me?"

FUUUUUUUUUU. i was pretty sure that I never let on that I wasn't interested in being friends with her.

"We used to friends, casual friends at least"

guy chimes in "you guys used to talk about movies and music"

motherfuckers discussed this before obviously.

All I could muster was "I don't think I ever did anythiing mean or unfriendly to you" I wanted to spit hot fire but I kept a cool enough head to talk myself out of it.

Ugh. They're gossiping like some teenagers behind your back. Lame.

DY_nasty

It doesn't shock me at all, but I'm not going to roll with the punches and accept it either. I know it's not going to amount to anything, but I personally refuse to watch television shows or films that are white washed.

Selling your TV anytime soon?

mr2xxx

Banned

I guess it'll be nice to have all that free time.

harSon

Banned
Selling your TV anytime soon?

There's a difference between a show or movie with a lot of white people in it, and a movie where they whitewashed what should have been non-white characters to make the ratio between white and non-white even more lopsided. It's the latter that I refuse to watch.

This only pertains to newer movies though, cause they should know better by now.

zero_suit

Your electricity bill must be low..

mr2xxx

Banned
There's a difference between a show or movie with a lot of white people in it, and a movie where they whitewashed what should have been non-white characters to make the ratio between white and non-white even more lopsided. It's the latter that I refuse to watch.

This only pertains to newer movies though, cause they should know better by now.

So would you watch a show like Friends or Seinfeld? Based in NYC which apparently has 3 minorities in it.

harSon

Banned
So would you watch a show like Friends or Seinfeld? Based in NYC which apparently has 3 minorities in it.

I wouldn't watch those shows for other reasons, but yeah, that's a big reason for why I'm not too fond of Woody Allen's filmography. The Amazing Spiderman was fucking awful in this regard. I think there was one non-white dude in the whole city, and he was an slimy evil Indian dude.

mr2xxx

Banned
I wouldn't watch those shows for other reasons, but yeah, that's a big reason for why I'm not too fond of Woody Allen's filmography. The Amazing Spiderman was fucking awful in this regard. I think there was one non-white dude in the whole city, and he was an slimy evil Indian dude.

I don't really take offense to that stuff though. It's like the show Girls, critics got mad at it for lack of minorities in it. The question is do we really need Dunham to represent for minority females though? Is she qualified to even talk about a subject she probably knows little about? The only thing that pissed me off about that show is that people say that it represents women of today, Really? Well off white girls living in NYC is somehow the voice for an entire gender.

harSon

Banned
I don't really take offense to that stuff though. It's like the show Girls, critics got mad at it for lack of minorities in it. The question is do we really need Dunham to represent for minority females though? Is she qualified to even talk about a subject she probably knows little about? The only thing that pissed me off about that show is that people say that it represents women of today, Really? Well off white girls living in NYC is somehow the voice for an entire gender.

It depends what context the show is in. I mean, as sad as I think it is, a significant portion of the population exclusively associate themselves with people of their own color. So a main cast that is predominantly white in New York is still believable. Especially depending on the socioeconomic situations of the characters. The problem arises when that main cast goes outside of their inner circle within the television show, and magically everyone in the city is somehow White. Alright, the main character, the main character's girlfriend, the main character's family and the main character's friends are all white, I can dig it. But when that main character goes out into a New York neighborhood, goes to a restaurant, goes to a movie theater, etc and everyone is White... then yeah, that's pretty damned annoying.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
There's a few, and the entirety of the backdrop is pretty much exclusively made up of brown people.

yeah, basically everybody but three or four main characters seemed like some flavor of brown

also the african dude with the knives

I don't know why all the persians spoke with british accents, though

that still puzzles me

mr2xxx

Banned
It depends what context the show is in. I mean, as sad as I think it is, a significant portion of the population exclusively associate themselves with people of their own color. So a main cast that is predominantly white in New York is still believable. Especially depending on the socioeconomic situations of the characters. The problem arises when that main cast goes outside of their inner circle within the television show, and magically everyone in the city is somehow White. Alright, the main character, the main character's girlfriend, the main character's family and the main character's friends are all white, I can dig it. But when that main character goes out into a New York neighborhood, goes to a restaurant, goes to a movie theater, etc and everyone is White... then yeah, that's pretty damned annoying.

The whole mingling within you race is sadly very true. I remember IIRC a study done that young kids would play with who ever was at their table during recess but once they got into third grade they would instead of playing with the kids at the table during recess, they specifically searched for kids of their own race. When you white wash an entire city, yeah there is no good excuse for that. It's not like there is a lack of minority extras in NYC.

Yup it becomes bad writing, producing and/or directing.

DY_nasty

I just think its a bit ...odd to single out one show that is actually just a part of a much, much bigger problem that encompasses an entire medium.

It represents upper middle class (maybe even rich) girls who rely on their connections and family to get ahead. Upper middle class in many areas, even NYC is predominantly white, so it stands to reason why she'd include the people she did. Sometimes I'd rather people to stick to what they know than throw in stereotypes. (Basically I agree with what you've been saying.)

harSon

Banned
I just think its a bit ...odd to single out one show that is actually just a part of a much, much bigger problem that encompasses an entire medium.

I don't single out one show though. Prince of Persia and The Last Airbender were the last straw for me. For example, I've yet to watch The Impossible and The Devil's Double for the same reasons. Look them up and you'll understand why,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom