• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

harSon

Banned
"Started from the bottom"

Fun fact, i worked free for a year to get the experience needed for this job. Well, i had that YT income coming in to help, but those were some dark times.

Yup, I did the same for close to 8 months. That's why it's pretty fucking important to do the internship durring college. But I had to work full time to pay for college and living expenses, so I wasn't able to intern until after college.

The system is rigged for the well to do, cause at this point in time, jobs not only want a college education, they want college education and x years of relevant work experience. All those low level jobs and volunteer work you did? Fuck that noise, we want something directly related to this entry level position. I was only able to do so because I had familial support. I'm not sure how I would have been able to do it had I needed income to survive.

Unpaid Internships seriously need to be outlawed. Cause half of them aren't even internships, it's basically a glorified servant in some cases.

DominoKid

yeah i'm really regretting not doing the internship thing although it's not like i was really able to. fuck finding a job. i can't even get an interview at this point.

harSon

Banned
How do people live doing unpaid internships?

Either work a job on top of that, or you have familial support on the back end. Or take out loans, but unless you have established credit, you're not going to be able to do that either without a co-sign.

Sucks to be poor yo.

FyreWulff

yeah i'm really regretting not doing the internship thing although it's not like i was really able to. fuck finding a job. i can't even get an interview at this point.

I still feel lucky. I was between jobs and doing a site based off Halo called Fire Team Zulu. Someone saw it and said "That's neat, who made it?".

Job'd.

Unfortunately, I had to close the site that got me the job.. :( It was like shooting the dude that saved your life.

Loans

Speaking of loans I'm glad my total is low. Dude on here made a thread saying he was 317k deep in loans

317k...

Luckily I'm only somehow 5k in I think.. all medical though

Gorillaz

RIP in peace whoever's life that was, it's over

Dude's going to have to have to start slingin' at some point to pay that off Lol.

Unfortunately, I had to close the site that got me the job.. :( It was like shooting the dude that saved your life.

Luckily I'm only somehow 5k in I think.. all medical though

That dude better have more degrees than Reed Richards.

thread
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=636431&highlight=317k+loans

his break down chart
H6uM3cB.png

BCT this is what happens when you fuck around with private loans and don't stay on top of it

harSon

Banned
thread

his break down chart
H6uM3cB.png

BCT this is what happens when you fuck around with private loans and don't stay on top of it

Dude has a few options: A) Take his own life B) Slang Rocks C) Become Iceberg Slim D) Kidnap/blackmail politicians and force them to change policy regarding bankruptcy not effecting student loans E) Get an old rich sugar mama F) Win American Idol/The Voice/You Think You Can Dance or G) Illegally immigrate to another country and become a day laborer

Everything is falling into place at the right time for me. Went JC forever to do pre reqs, paid out of pocket for a couple years and finally applied for a fee waiver and got it. Was working in a relevant field so I was building up experience then got hit with unemployment but still got the fee waiver. Got a decent paying job a year later and fafsa works based off your last year's income so I'm actually making money this year by going to school. Gonna transfer in the fall without exhausting my government aid. This semester I'm getting fee waiver plus 2 grand, same for next semester.

I should graduate with at least 5 years experience and zero debt, unless I pursue an MBA.

Slayven

Everything is falling into place at the right time for me. Went JC forever to do pre reqs, paid out of pocket for a couple years and finally applied for a fee waiver and got it. Was working in a relevant field so I was building up experience then got hit with unemployment but still got the fee waiver. Got a decent paying job a year later and fafsa works based off your last year's income so I'm actually making money this year by going to school. Gonna transfer in the fall without exhausting my government aid. This semester I'm getting fee waiver plus 2 grand, same for next semester.

I should graduate with at least 5 years experience and zero debt, unless I pursue an MBA.
But you ain't gave to charity, like Rick Springfield.

But you ain't gave to charity, like Rick Springfield.

My presence is charity.

I hated my financial and managerial accounting classes.

I passed all of my accounting courses without much problem, they're just boring and tedious as hell. I got bored in my first accounting course and took days off, learned my lesson then and there. The way my professors and co workers talk about their upper division accounting courses you'd think they beat real life demon souls.

Gorillaz

If those loan companies was the mafia, dude been disappeared.
They basically are mafia. They can just go after your ass legally and nobody will stop them. I'm at osu and so far racked in about
give or take in loans. Graduating in december and will most likely get a job with my campus since they have high rate of hiring back alumni

RedSwirl

My parents didn't even let me look at unpaid internships, and thus I ended up doing no internship at all... and can't find a motherfucking job.

Maybe I should go ahead and get it out here, but how bad is it that I've found no full-time work in the five years since graduating? Been hopping back and forth from freelance to part time ever since for basically my entire professional life. I'm trying to make freelance work now but it's moving at a glacial pace. I turn 27 tomorrow and this shit is really starting to get to me.

thread

his break down chart
H6uM3cB.png

Well god damn. Seeing shit like this still makes me feel lucky my college debt is 0, but also sad I haven't really been able to get anything off the ground in five years, even with that advantage.

Damn, Moris all set for life and shit. I'm coming out of university with a 3.1 GPA and a dick my hand, no work experience. I'm screwed!

On the bright side, absolute zero student loans to worry about

My best friend owes 120-140k in student loans. He originally only owed 65k, dude had a nervous breakdown and everything, got mad depressed and suicidal as hell. Shit was rough.

He ran out of forbearances and couldn't make payments at his current job (he's currently still working for NC state government). He only makes wait for it....$25k a year. Last I know his folks haven't been helping him so I assume he had to sign for his own loans as well, and Sallie Mae ain't no joke on those interest rates.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing

That's good to hear man.

317k is sell your soul tier.

He got it from lawschool also hurts. I know someone who went that route, said unless you're top of your class, in an Ivy or are very well connected, law school is almost a waste of time.

Read an article about it some time ago, around the start of the recession. Law basically has swarms of people fighting for too few spots, so only the best of the best or higher ups kids get spots.

edit: Isn't someone here in the law field? It'd be cool to hear what a qualified person has to say on the subject.

Kreed

Top Bottom