• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

DominoKid

20718253_BG3.jpg

i'm so jealous of his son's fro.

If you were born in the early seventies you'd be saying that ish in an AOL chatroom about 90s hiphop. "80s hiphop was the best, post 89 is weak. Just give me a record scratch and a beat box. THAT'S ALL YOU NEED!"

Sounds change, there's so much stuff being released on a monthly basis it's unreal. I can't even keep up with anything other than the most notable stuff. HiResDes put out a list of ~20 good releases every 3 months.

Except I don't have that opinion about all other types of music. Both Rock and Hip Hop were negatively affected by the financial state of the country during the late 90's. Both lost their edge because shit was going to good. Even though we have had a recession shit hasn't gone bad enough to force a shift in the musical culture.

And as far as finding the good stuff, that requires more effort than I have time for. Maybe you weren't listening to the radio back then but it wasn't like it is now, where you turn on the radio and you have a 95% chance it will be Drake or Rhianna on both the hip-hop stations and both top 40 stations. And then the shit is on again in 15min.

nsfw-ish...Tuesday on the Rocks music video

Except I don't have that opinion about all other types of music. Both Rock and Hip Hop were negatively affected by the financial state of the country during the late 90's. Both lost their edge because shit was going to good. Even though we have had a recession shit hasn't gone bad enough to force a shift in the musical culture.

And as far as finding the good stuff, that requires more effort than I have time for. Maybe you weren't listening to the radio back then but it wasn't like it is now, where you turn on the radio and you have a 95% chance it will be Drake or Rhianna on both the hip-hop stations and both top 40 stations. And then the shit is on again in 15min.

i blame Ja Rule.

and Ashanti...

That's all there is to it really.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Please. If you post on gaf, I don't want to hear, "it's to hard to find good hip hop." HRD posts a heavily detailed quarterly rap-up, with damn near all of the best tapes and albums possible. Plenty of people in this very thread lurk and post in gaf hop as well...

There is so much stuff coming out nowadays, that it's hard as hell to keep up.

That's all there is to it really.

Effort wasn't required before. There were 3 Hip-Hop stations when I was growing up and each had its own flavor, now there are 2 and they are carbon copies.

Please. If you post on gaf, I don't want to hear, "it's to hard to find good hip hop." HRD posts a heavily detailed quarterly rap-up, with damn near all of the best tapes and albums possible. Plenty of people in this very thread lurk and post in gaf hop as well...

Listen I work 60hrs a week and digging for music isn't my top priority, and HRD post while maybe informative are his opinion and they might not gel with mine. Point being shit wasn't hard to find back then because the cream rose to the top.

And its not just music look at movies. Yeah we are finally getting great super hero movies but almost everything is a sequel or a remake. And many directors (not just spike) are fed up with the studio system.

Gorillaz

Even then sites like hotnewhiphop post new shit literally everyday. Ranging from mixtapes to singles to albums.

ReiGun

Know how we always say Gaf is pretty progressive about gay rights? That's being put to the test in gaming side.

And I know I'm usually advocating for less thread whining in here, but I'm amazed at how bold dudes are getting in that GaymerX con thread. lol

More on topic, my status as a super casual hip hop fan prevents me from really saying anything on this Kendrick Lemar business. However, I am enjoying watching the discussion.

DominoKid

Even then sites like hotnewhiphop post new shit literally everyday. Ranging from mixtapes to singles to albums.

yeah folks are just lazy. want to be spoon fed.

Slayven

Know how we always say Gaf is pretty progressive about gay rights? That's being put to the test in gaming side.

And I know I'm usually advocating for less thread whining in here, but I'm amazed at how bold dudes are getting in that GaymerX con thread. lol

More on topic, my status as a super casual hip hop fan prevents me from really saying anything on this Kendrick Lemar business. However, I am enjoying watching the discussion.

Saw that thread and instantly wanted and Afrocon convention, That thread would top the San Andreas reveal.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Put on Pandora, Spotify, Satellite Radio, or any other station or app that plays more than top 40. People have it made in this day and age, and still can't find stuff to listen to? C'mon son. You don't even have to try.

Put on Pandora, Spotify, Satellite Radio, or any other station or app that plays more than top 40. People have it made in this day and age, and still can't find stuff to listen to? C'mon son. You don't even have to try.

Satellite isn't any better, for the first couple of months its good,then you realize the playlist is the same just a larger version of whats on Radio.

Damn man that dude is too pasty. If not a black dude then at least somebody Hispanic or middle eastern in skin tone

Prince of Egypt > Exodus

It is written

FyreWulff

And I know I'm usually advocating for less thread whining in here, but I'm amazed at how bold dudes are getting in that GaymerX con thread. lol.

Not surprised a lot of gamers are actually conservative, even though the tech sector tends to be liberal. Shooters are extremely popular, and shooters are going to bring a lot more right wing and conservative people into gaming.

Add in the fact that the industry and the consumer base is still heavily white-boy centric, and you get the 'I have a thousand of this thing but somebody is getting one' effect added in too.

harSon

Banned
It's like hollywood has never even googled Pharaoh Ramses. He isn't like Cleopatra who was mixed. Dude was from the Nile delta.

And they pour salt on the wound by casting some no name actor. I could understand selecting a popular white actor to play the role. I'd still be pissed, and I'd disagree with logic, but I would understand. But casting some white dude that the mainstream doesn't know? Hollywood can go jump off a cliff with that bullshit.

Edit: I need to check out that thread

Slayven

They were talking about twerking on tthe teen choice awards. It is dead, on to the next thing. Perhaps a new Bernie or Stinky Leg?

Satellite isn't any better, for the first couple of months its good,then you realize the playlist is the same just a larger version of whats on Radio.

Could be wrong but I think HRD maintains a spotify playlist of new stuff as well.

Clicking 2dopeboyz every couple days and spending a few minutes browsing is slightly more demanding than turning on a radio. Plus you can skip and shit.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Playing Tales of Xillia, got bored. Then I discovered attachments and I saw I had unlocked aviators

now ALL MY JRPG CHARACTERS LOOK RICH AS FUUUUUUCK

Kreed

In the OT most people with offensive opinions that don't match the community here get snuffed out by mods in regular discussions about social issues, but in gaming it's hard to figure out who's a secret Grand Wizard among the "Wii U iz Doomed" discussions, so it isn't until that occasional girl, black, gay, etc... gaming thread shows up that the crazies reveal themselves.

Slayven

In the OT most people with offensive opinions that don't match the community here get snuffed out by mods in regular discussions about social issues, but in gaming it's hard to figure out who's a secret Grand Wizard among the "Wii U iz Doomed" discussions, so it isn't until that occasional girl, black, gay, etc... gaming thread shows up that the crazies reveal themselves.

And they make it up in spades.

Top Bottom