• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

RedSwirl

I haven't played CoD since Modern Warfare, didn't want to pay for gold.

The last COD I bought was COD4 on 360. I'll probably cop Ghost just because I want an mp game that a lot of people play.

You haven't missed much. MW1 is still the best one. MW3 is solid tho.

I think I've stopped buying new shooters though. Come to think of it other than Halo I don't own a single FPS on a current-gen console. I'm not that big a fan of Halo, it's juts the only one I bothered to buy that ain't on PC.

I'll drop into TF2, and people tellin' me Mass Effec 3 multi is good...

Just finished episode 5 of Attack On Titan. This show gives no fucks.

Yeah Otakon screenings got me on that show finally. Just finished episode 6. I think one of the reasons this show is hot right now is because it's one of the only shonens with a protagonist who ain't a punk. You'll see in ep. 6.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

harSon

Banned
Just finished episode 5 of Attack On Titan. This show gives no fucks.

It starts off hot, but I thought it slowed down considerably a few episodes after where you're at. I haven't seen the last few episodes though, so maybe it picks up again.

Can't see them do a 399 this holiday season. They are probably going to let it ride till the spring time and decide from there. Cutting a price on a product that you havn't even launched yet doesn't exactly make the board feel "safe". Shit shows a lack of direction and most importantly confidence.

Thinking about it, the main reason they won't drop kinect/price us because of the limited stock, they'll sell out at launch regardless.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
the manliest salute to all of my attack on titan bros

*also, show gave me my first waifu. she's in ep 18. she's mine tho

Onemic

Is it that good? I've really thought about watching it.

There's probably no english dub?

Nope, sub only.

I'm weird in that if I watch an anime 99.9% of the time(I think the only time I've ever made an exception for this is FLCL) if there's a dub and sub available I will always go for the sub. I can't stand english dubs, as in most cases they tend to make the characters sound even more whack than they already are.

Slayven

Nope, sub only.

I'm weird in that if I watch an anime 99.9% of the time(I think the only time I've ever made an exception for this is FLCL) if there's a dub and sub available I will always go for the sub. I can't stand english dubs, as in most cases they tend to make the characters sound even more whack than they already are.

I think that is because we don't speak Japanese and can pickup on shit like that. Only time I could pick out an obviously bad actor was Digimon Savers, the chick was terrblebad.

DY_nasty

Nope, sub only.

That's because great dubs are just hard to come by.
I think that is because we don't speak Japanese and can pickup on shit like that. Only time I could pick out an obviously bad actor was Digimon Savers, the chick was terrblebad.

Naruto lost a lot of its 'guaranteed' steam on our side because the dude's voice was just unbearable. Same with One Piece. Cashcow shows couldn't even get respectable voice work. You don't need to be an expert in Japanese to know that Star Ocean type dubs are a blight on humanity.

Edit: Imagine if Goku sounded like Peter Pan

Slayven

The best dub ever was Ghost Stories, where they threw out everything but the basic story premise and decided just to crack jokes through the whole thing.

DY_nasty

The best dub ever was Ghost Stories, where they threw out everything but the basic story premise and decided just to crack jokes through the whole thing.

Yu Yu Hakusho probably has the best dub ever. Bebop and GiTS need to be up there too, but the YYH guys did so many extra little things that just put icing on the cake.

Slayven

That's because great dubs are just hard to come by.

Naruto lost a lot of its 'guaranteed' steam on our side because the dude's voice was just unbearable. Same with One Piece. Cashcow shows couldn't even get respectable voice work. You don't need to be an expert in Japanese to know that Star Ocean type dubs are a blight on humanity.

Edit: Imagine if Goku sounded like Peter Pan

True, but naruto came when the anime fad was dying.

Then there is the Voice actors mafia, but that is another story.

DY_nasty

given the choice i will always pick dub over sub unless the dub is 4Kids One Piece bad. i'd rather watch the show than read it.

I felt the same way for a while. I think Geass is what weened me to subs over dubs. Hearing the Japanese VAs try and hammer out english "Lelouch Vi Brittania commanz uuu~" was awesome in the weirdest way.

It grows on you. Like Bart in France.

Slayven

Geass has the most wack mech designs ever. I had to turn my Deathscythe Hell toward the wall so he wouldn't be embarrassed for being so awesome.

FMA: Brotherhood dub is solid. Older anime seem to have decent dubs but I'm not sure if that's because that was how I first watched them. Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, and Samurai Champloo are good to me.

Rorouni Kenshin has a decent dub out there as well back when you had to import it but I guess they re-dubbed it at some point because the dub on Crackle is horrendous.

DominoKid

I felt the same way for a while. I think Geass is what weened me to subs over dubs. Hearing the Japanese VAs try and hammer out english "Lelouch Vi Brittania commanz uuu~" was awesome in the weirdest way.

It grows on you. Like Bart in France.

i watched Geass as it aired. i hated hearing the names so much.

True, but naruto came when the anime fad was dying.

Then there is the Voice actors mafia, but that is another story

the "Hey that's ____!" game

Deprive

Activision acted like the series has been in the right hands/care after IW left back in 09.

The new IW doesn't know what it's doing
Treyarch can't carry the series like the old IW. They are followers more then leaders
Ravensoft is making map packs

Activision after MW3 and BO2 that they needed a new horse to bet on. Thats where Destiny comes in at.

They should have not screwed over IW. But I will be there for Destiny.

Microsoft is probably going to get steamrolled. Your phone and tablet pretty much bomb. Your new os starts off slow. No wonder they did that turn around on the xbone.

LosDaddie

Banned
HRD can barely keep up with all of the single, mixtape and album releases out there. He does a good job tho.

I need to check out that thread more. Podcasts are fine for the gym, but I'm running out of new stuff to listen to for my morning runs before work.

Satellite isn't any better, for the first couple of months its good,then you realize the playlist is the same just a larger version of whats on Radio.

True to an extent, but satellite is still miles better than regular radio. Far better DJs, too.

this is NeoGAF, if you read the right threads you would even think GAF is pro-Vita.

huh? GAF is very pro-handheld, especially the PSV. Speaking of the PSV, I need to get around to playing mine, but I'm busy with Bioshock INfinite right now.

The last COD I bought was COD4 on 360. I'll probably cop Ghost just because I want an mp game that a lot of people play.

Same here, except I'm not buying a new console until next year (I'm going to snag one of those holiday bundles). Next gen is going to be a "Stop Fighting It" gen for me. Last/this gen most of my family & friends had PS3, while I mained the X360 ( but I have a PS3 for exclusives). They played CoD while I played Halo. Fuck it. I'm joining them next gen

Onemic

Recommend me some top notch anime's DY, since you bout dat life.

Since DBZ Ive really only watched

Naruto(lol)
Inyuyasha(Kagomeeeeee)
Cowboy Bebop (top 3)
Samurai Champloo(Top 3)
Berserk(da GOAT)
FLCL(weird as fuck in a cool way)
Macross(not sure which)
Escaflowne(ugh)
EDIT: Fate/Zero(dope as fuck)

And am currently watching

Attack on Titan
Evangelion
Michiko to Hatchin(Have to pick this up again)
Jojo's
Lupin the Third: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine(stopped watching a few episodes in, dont know why)

BHZ Mayor

Naruto(lol)
Inyuyasha(Kagomeeeeee)
Cowboy Bebop (top 3)
Samurai Champloo(Top 3)
Berserk(da GOAT)
Macross(not sure which)
Escaflowne(ugh)

Attack on Titan
Evangelion
Jojo's
Lupin the Third: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine(stopped watching a few episodes in, dont know why)

You need some YuYu Hakusho and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood in your life.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
OGVEBcT.png

smh

DY_nasty

Naruto(lol)
Inyuyasha(Kagomeeeeee)
Cowboy Bebop (top 3)
Samurai Champloo(Top 3)
Berserk(da GOAT)
Macross(not sure which)
Escaflowne(ugh)

Attack on Titan
Evangelion
Jojo's
Hajime no Ippo

Watch this dopeness and get back to me. This is what opened the door for me.

Otherwise, Kenshin, Gurrenn Lagann, 08th MS Team, Ghost in The Shell (anything), Black Lagoon... I'll think of more later.

I'm still actually liking the CoD: Ghost gameplay.

harSon

Banned
Hajime no Ippo

Otherwise, Kenshin, Gurrenn Lagann, 08th MS Team, Ghost in The Shell (anything), Black Lagoon... I'll think of more later.

Seconded, although it's probably one of the most ignorant, xenophobic and racist animes out there Lol.

I wish BF did 2 things

1- Improve ADS, I'm sure its more realistic but its so much easier in COD

2- Change their unlock system because its the fucking WORST!

1. isn't happening. the game calculates bullet velocity and bullet drop in addition to the built-in recoil system and that's not going to change. AND it's DEFINITELY not going to change into a hitscan game.

2. i agree. every game the unlock bullshit gets worse. more carrots, ugh!

DY_nasty

Seconded, although it's probably one of the most ignorant, xenophobic and racist animes out there Lol.

Dude. Not even close...

It plays on stereotypes. Its nowhere near the most anything other than entertaining. You don't want to go near that rabbit hole either.
Yeah, you can say that.... But it is.

Its as much of a mech show as the one year war is.

It has giant robots, yeah, but its not about giant robots.

Gundam anything basically turns the gundams into deities. You can have Geass without mechs. You can't have eva without mechs.

Onemic

Hajime no Ippo

That's that boxing anime right? I've heard good things about it, but never bothered to watch. Guess I'll watch that with AoT.

1. isn't happening. the game calculates bullet velocity and bullet drop in addition to the built-in recoil system and that's not going to change. AND it's DEFINITELY not going to change into a hitscan game.

2. i agree. every game the unlock bullshit gets worse. more carrots, ugh!

Why couldn't it still do that while pulling back the camera a bit when aiming?

Edit: To be clear when I said improve ADS to be more like call of duty I just meant the amount of space the gun takes up on screen when you are aiming, not how call of duty handles its gun play.

94d13677cfe01b04beec7f40c9627c5347076e63.png

battlefield-3-acog-2.jpg

That 2 inches gives you a little bit more institutional awareness.

harSon

Banned
Dude. Not even close...

It plays on stereotypes. Its nowhere near the most anything other than entertaining. You don't want to go near that rabbit hole either.

It goes a bit beyond stereotypes, and feeds into scientific racism. Mexicans are genetically predisposed to having a longer reach? Blacks dominate boxing because they are genetically predisposed to being athletic and have good rhythm since brith? Bryan Hawk?

It's still one of the best animes out there, but let's be real here, it's got some ignorant qualities to it.

Top Bottom