• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

harSon

Banned
Not at all yet people on gaf think they're 'megatons'

Metal Gear Rising is probably their only successful game, and it name recognition had a lot to do with that. I consider it to be a big deal though, because I'm excited to see what a big budget Platinum game looks like. Who gives a fuck how a game sells. As long as I get to play said game, then what ever.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Metal Gear Rising is probably their only successful game, and it name recognition had a lot to do with that. I consider it to be a big deal though, because I'm excited to see what a big budget Platinum game looks like. Who gives a fuck how a game sells. As long as I get to play said game, then what ever.

Eh?

It didn't even do that good. Platinum is GAF's favorite baby - their success is really, really blown out of proportion.

Slayven

They made God Hand, so they deserve to be shit on. Terrible terrible game.

Wonderful 101 is suppose to get you laid and cure cancer though.

sure they flop hard in sales but their games are incredibly fun to play. metal gear rising rocked.

i also like suda51 so i'm used to being a fan of flops.

harSon

Banned
Eh?

It didn't even do that good. Platinum is GAF's favorite baby - their success is really, really blown out of proportion.

It didn't set the world on fire, but it did decently, which is more then you can for the rest of their games. And there's a difference between success from a critical standpoint, and success from a sales standpoint. I do think they're a tad bit overrated, but they're very good at what they set out to do IMO.

sure they flop hard in sales but their games are incredibly fun to play. metal gear rising rocked.

i also like suda51 so i'm used to being a fan of flops.

Not a fan of Suda51 though. Actually, I love everything about his games except the gameplay, which is typically terrible enough to retroactively make everything I like about his games worst.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Slayven with poor taste.

Even less pleased than I am with Bayonetta getting hatted. I'll be getting a wiiu sooner than an xbox one... :/

RedSwirl

Eh?

Konami was satisfied with sales.

And I honestly want to at least wait until Kinect 2.0 is in people's houses before I straight-up slam it.

DY_nasty

Its not a dickish thing to say that Rising sold more because of its Metal Gear label than because of the Platinum one. I love their games. Critics love their games. They don't sell that well and its a shame.

Also, Slayven hated X-Com because he played on Easy like a mark. His opinion is Obama-tier right now.

harSon

Banned
W101 looks like it could be really good...but we'll see.

Reminds me of Viewtiful Joe from an art standpoint, which is a good thing. Overall Clover and Platinum have been solid. Viewtiful Joe, Okami, Bayonetta, Vanquish, Metal Gear Rising and Infinite Space were good. God Hand was shit, and Mad World was mediocre. I've never played Anarchy Reigns though.

Its not a dickish thing to say that Rising sold more because of its Metal Gear label than because of the Platinum one. I love their games. Critics love their games. They don't sell that well and its a shame.

Also, Slayven hated X-Com because he played on Easy like a mark. His opinion is Obama-tier right now.

That's literally what I said haha

Slayven

X-com had no depth because it was thrown together. It is the same shit over and over again.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
if you want to talk about eccentric, crazy Japanese developers with a unique vision and busted games, Swery shits all over Suda.

Suda just comes off as lame, and people remember Killer 7 as a better game than it actually was.

X-com had no depth because it was thrown together. It is the same shit over and over again.

I for one have to totally disagree with you. I just have too. Xcom enemy unknown was an absolute blast. Glitches and all. That feeling you get when your sniper is an overwatch while wearing archangel armor popping fools that run up on you is an extremely satisfying feeling. One of my best experiences of last year. One of the few titles that is permanently in my library. And the bureau I have faith will be a worthy addition to the franchise. I've been playing SR4 since yesterday. My week is going to be amazing.

Slayven

I know I'm not getting talked down to by a elementary school janitor's assistant.
At least I don't make a living defrauding folks out of their homes.

I for one have to totally disagree with you. I just have too. Xcom enemy unknown was an absolute blast. Glitches and all. That feeling you get when your sniper is an overwatch while wearing archangel armor popping fools that run up on you is an extremely satisfying feeling. One of my best experiences of last year. One of the few titles that is permanently in my library. And the bureau I have faith will be a worthy addition to the franchise. I've been playing SR4 since yesterday. My week is going to be amazing.
Game would have been a 9 instead of a 7 if they had true randomized stages instead of recycling shit over and over.

DY_nasty

Reminds me of Viewtiful Joe from an art standpoint, which is a good thing. Overall Clover and Platinum have been solid. Viewtiful Joe, Okami, Bayonetta, Vanquish, Metal Gear Rising and Infinite Space were good. God Hand was shit, and Mad World was mediocre. I've never played Anarchy Reigns though.

That's literally what I said haha
It did decent because of the Metal Gear tag.

Someone could make Metal Gear Digimon and do better.

Gorillaz

MS getting plat isn't for creating a tentpole series on x1. Its basically a love letter to hardcore. Same thing for Atlus and From Software if they go for them.

It did decent because of the Metal Gear tag.

Someone could make Metal Gear Digimon and do better.

*David Hayter voice* Have you ever digivolved on the battlefield.

I can now picture Fortune and Vamp running with Miyotismon.

So metal gear would be an evolved digimon.
I'm fucking sold.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Hope they eventually put out a kinectless Xbone.

Want D4, Dead Rising, and a new Crackdown. Oh and that eventual Forza Horizon 2.

also I love that any time Platinum makes a game for a console, 'oh Nintendo's gonna buy Platinum' now it's 'Oh MS is gonna buy Platinum.'
As if the big three want to deal with Kamiya on a regular basis

Slayven

By home do you mean actual homes or the supply closet the school let's you sleep in with your mahogany TV set.
Free wifi nigga

only 5 less than the current wii u install base
Nintendo will turn it around.
Can't stand watching Youtube rants. What's that Black Shinobi shit about.
[
Killer_Bee.png

Hope they eventually put out a kinectless Xbone.

Want D4, Dead Rising, and a new Crackdown. Oh and that eventual Forza Horizon 2.

also I love that any time Platinum makes a game for a console, 'oh Nintendo's gonna buy Platinum' now it's 'Oh MS is gonna buy Platinum.'
As if the big three want to deal with Kamiya on a regular basis
I put Vegas money onf Dead Rising will be on PS3 within 18 months

And The big 3 already have enough ways to bleed money. They don't need a studio only weeboos care about.

Village

Indeed, you are just wasting peoples time at that point. If you going to be about it, be about it. Epically if you issued the challenge, that is some ol' high school stuff.

Thor vs Supes is a very serious subject.

Its an interesting fight though, the thing about marvel is eventually all magic and science leads to the same place, just cosmic entity power. So thor is magic but he isn't, so its weird.

Reminds me of a time on a forum where a dude was going to wire a dude 200 dollars for a bus ticket so they could fight face to face. What they were arguing about? Thor vs Superman.

That's silly too. Not that big of a deal in the first place. But don't ante up with "Oh yeah let's settle this IRL" then puss out. People who talk big annoy me so much.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The Platinum worship isn't as bad as the Retro worship though

These mother fuckers made 6 games, and only 2 were in different genres. One wasn't even solely them, but everyone talks about how they're the greatest and how they should be given Zelda, and how they're one of the greatest developers of all time.

no surprise, Metroid's a franchise that always gets overrated by its fans to compensate for Mario and Zelda being wildly more popular

HomShaBom

Banned
Reminds me of a time on a forum where a dude was going to wire a dude 200 dollars for a bus ticket so they could fight face to face. What they were arguing about? Thor vs Superman.
I'd be down to wire some money to those of y'all who like to pretend Vita is useful.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So which fanbase is worse? Platinum, Retro, or Naughty Dog?

There's probably some irony that a lot of Naughty Dog fans can be seen in other threads talking about how much they hate 'hollywood blockbuster cinematic games.'

All some of my favorite developers though. Except Retro. Prime 1 was fine, but I had no interest in a sequel, and DKCR was ok, but I liked Rayman more.
Trick question its Rockstar

Gets more shit for GTA IV than any other game. Those three don't get any shit, except maybe ND for UC 3, about any of their less than impressive games.

also dat 7.4

Top Bottom