• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

So which fanbase is worse? Platinum, Retro, or Naughty Dog?
Going by the Uncharted 3 review thread, I would have to go with Naughty Dog. Platinum fans are very vocal but they seem to more tongue in cheek with the things that they say. Like the whole Platinum should make everything meme. Kind of the same way how everybody in OT says Idris Elba or Fassbender should play every role. I haven't heard anything too crazy from Retro fans. They haven't made a bad game yet but they also haven't made anything entirely of their own either.

Gorillaz

Gets more shit for GTA IV than any other game. Those three don't get any shit, except maybe ND for UC 3, about any of their less than impressive games.

also dat 7.4
True always felt there was some pretentous shit though when it came to them and the fanbase. ND is heading kind of in that direction too but they still have this weird charm that they had since jak and fax days

I still like them both a lot tho

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Never understood this whole "caring about fans rather than what they're fans of" thing.

It's annoying when it infiltrates general threads.'Nier thread? Nier thread' 'This' 'this'

And stuff like that Skyward Sword & UC3 review thread made me embarrassed to post on here.

I made a thread asking why is it that gamers get so riled up over the most inconsequential things and why the community at large is so filled with vitriol, but I couldn't get an answer. This was after some dude went off at me for saying I preferred auto-save systems to purely manual "save anywhere," even though I said I'd like a balance between the two.

Didn't bother with the matter after that. Even trying to figure it out in a diplomatic way is a waste of time; talking about which fanbase is the worst just falls right in line with the bad side of video game culture overall, as far as I see it. You always see people attacking one another on gaming side; they're focused on the person, not their argument. This is just a continuation of that.

If there's something wrong with a particular fanbase, it's something wrong with them all. And it just seems particularly pointless to focus on that or make the discussion about other people, even more of a waste of time than casually discussing games.

DominoKid

so i just got back from a golf tournament. it was interesting. got there near the end since we didn't know they moved tee times up to the morning (weather concerns) so we just camped up at 18 but the end was really exciting.
- lots of random Tiger shade. some of it was hilarious. some of it i had to hit w/ that
iIBLjOoGz7Df4.png
- tons of free shit. next time i'll have to bring a bag or to put it in..
- got curved by this chick based on how i got my tickets.
- this old white couple explained what the hell to look for and who to pay attention to. really nice people.

gotta do that again sometime.

Village

Have yet to find a group of people more entitled than gamers.

Fucked up as it sounds I'm completely serious about this.

Fans of entertainment in general.

I am still trying to figure out how a sane human being, equates making entertainment for inclusive to everyone, by including everyone to shameless pandering

Do you not hear the words that come out of your mouth.

Just the sheer amount of harassment people in the industry have to slog through blows my mind.

This is true, however some devs and people brig it upon themselves.
While i do not agree with death threats and threats in general, the shit that Ninja theory gets on the daily is wells deserved. And then you have the companies that are deciding to effectively blow themselves up and then ask why they are loosing money.

Village

If i can, i'll have to post some of the shit we get sent, and some of the crap i get on a personal level. Its crazy.

How bad is it, I am only a college student I need to see what I am getting into.

My first dip in that pool was some gentleman upset that I drew something a certianway. Very upset. Not even his commission mind you.

I am still trying to figure out how a sane human being, equates making entertainment for inclusive to everyone, by including everyone to shameless pandering

Do you not hear the words that come out of your mouth.

Nah gaming is on a whole nother level.

This is true, however some devs and people brig it upon themselves.
While i do not agree with death threats and threats in general, the shit that Ninja theory gets on the daily is wells deserved. And then you have the companies that are deciding to effectively blow themselves up and then ask why they are loosing money.

Nobody brings any of that shit upon themselves. There is a solid difference between critiquing something and or wanting nothing to do with it and badgering the hell out of devs.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
How bad is it, I am only a college student I need to see what I am getting into.

My first dip in that pool was some gentleman upset that I drew something a certianway. Very upset. Not even his commission mind you.

Depends on the game, and even within a game, SP or MP. Some of the worst stuff i got was when i was at Infinity Ward, for obvious reasons.

AC fans tend to be more reserved, but some really invest their heart and soul, and almost entire life into the narrative. Any little deviation from what they perceive as "the way it should be" sets them off.

I had a fan on tumblr tell me (in a roundabout way) that if i didn't acknowledge he was the ultimate AC fan, he'd start his own Creed to hunt down every black developer at Ubisoft...starting with me.

Some stuff is batshit crazy that they will never follow through with. Other stuff is downright nasty.

cdyhybrid

I had a fan on tumblr tell me (in a roundabout way) that if i didn't acknowledge he was the ultimate AC fan, he'd start his own Creed to hunt down every black developer at Ubisoft...starting with me.

Man...wat.

I just don't understand how people can invest themselves so fully in something that doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Gorillaz

The type of shit IW got back in mw2 days was scary. I know rthey were happy to distance themselves from cod when that fallout happened

Mr. Patch

Depends on the game, and even within a game, SP or MP. Some of the worst stuff i got was when i was at Infinity Ward, for obvious reasons.

AC fans tend to be more reserved, but some really invest their heart and soul, and almost entire life into the narrative. Any little deviation from what they perceive as "the way it should be" sets them off.

Some stuff is batshit crazy that they will never follow through with. Other stuff is downright nasty.

Why would anybody be that hardcore of a fan of those mediocre ass games?

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
The type of shit IW got back in mw2 days was scary. I know rthey were happy to distance themselves from cod when that fallout happened

I was so burnt out on it all at that time. I left as soon as i know Bowling was jumping ship.

Man...wat.

I just don't understand how people can invest themselves so fully in something that doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

AC fans are crazy passionate. And that comes with some extremes. Devotion to certain characters sometimes gets out of control

Slayven

Wait what? He blamed black people for the story?

Nerds are the worse about continuity, niggas lose sleep over what is canon and what isn't.

ReiGun

On entitlement, I will say that there is also a kneejerk reaction to call any criticism of a company or practice "acting entitled." As if no one should ever say a cross word about a game dev or platform holder.

I do agree that gamers can go above and beyond with how emotional and upset they get, though. It's even worse when their desire to have gaming free of any negative criticism they don't agree with has them defending some truly foul shit, like the recent sexism discussions.

The ruckus over review scores might be the silliest examples I've seen. I've had people argue that fighting games and other relatively niche genres need crack teams of fans to review them because otherwise the reviews will never be good. Just straight up silly shit.

Nope, it's definitely something about video games in particular. I think it might have to do with video games being interactive so, on some level, one's experience with a given game is more personal than with a book or film (ignoring the context the entertainment is experienced in). Honestly have no idea other than that.

Yeah, fuck that. I'd have to use a pseudonym if my name would be in the credits for a certain game.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Makes me want to just gobble everything up just to make up for the amount of people that think they're getting bent over by game developers.

I pretty much gobble up everything Rockstar tho. Max Payne 3 hurt me though.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Wait what? He blamed black people for the story?

Nerds are the worse about continuity, niggas lose sleep over what is canon and what isn't.

He'd been sending us his story ideas and fanfiction. Legally, we can't even look at or acknowledge any of that stuff. I let him know that and he said i was being dismissive. Then blamed ME for AC Revelations (i didn't work for Ubi then anyway)

Then came the "you won't listen to me cos i'm not black" messages. Ended with some long message about how he'd start his own Creed, blah blah blah.

Village

Oh wow, while I am not a dev ...yet. I have had experience with this kind of thing.

You ever have the " supposed to look cool" conversation?

Nah gaming is on a whole nother level.

Nobody brings any of that shit upon themselves. There is a solid difference between critiquing something and or wanting nothing to do with it and badgering the hell out of devs.

Nope, it's definitely something about video games in particular. I think it might have to do with video games being interactive so, on some level, one's experience with a given game is more personal than with a book or film (ignoring the context the entertainment is experienced in). Honestly have no idea other than that.

I dunno comic books fans, is pretty up there.

Say something remotely close to making a super hero a different race. Dat Idris factor.

To be fair, sometimes their bitching is justified.

Very long impressive bitching session. Decades long bitching, gaming has nothing on that. Parrallax was impressive.

And what is more impressive is, they got shit done.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
People on gaming side hate cliffyb because he currently doesn't do anything but critique games and offers no real constructive criticism.

hits too close to home

Gorillaz

I was so burnt out on it all at that time. I left as soon as i know Bowling was jumping ship.

AC fans are crazy passionate. And that comes with some extremes. Devotion to certain characters sometimes gets out of control
You worked with old IW? Damn that had to have been hype and stressfull

ReiGun

Comic book fans are rational about everything but canon and character portrayals. And even then, DC and Marvel do pull some shit that should be called out on.

That said, from my admittedly small amount of time in the fandom, comic fans do have more fun than gamers. Which is ironic.

Village

Comic book fans are rational about everything but canon and character portrayals. And even then, DC and Marvel do pull some shit that should be called out on.

That said, from my admittedly small amount of time in the fandom, comic fans do have more fun than gamers. Which is ironic.

Did you see the guy post about the two dudes about to fight over supes vs thor.

Anyway the crazed fans ( most of the time) are the minority. The reasons gaming fans are seem a bit more, numerous and loud is because Most of us here on Gaf have a passion for video games. We tend to hang around those communities so we see more of the good and bad stuff compared to people who don't.

The next reason is that Video games as a medium are a huge entertainment industry, probably have more fans than other industries, since they often sell more than movies. I think the "gamers are the worse" thing , comes from the fact there are more gamers and shared interests gains exposure to the bad, rather than they are generally worse people.

Just watched Olympus Has Fallen, and despite horrible CG, horrible script, and the worst movie ending speech since Steger Segals environmental speech at the end of On Deadly Ground, it's an ok 80's throwback action movie.

Hopefully Mr. Fuqua can get some more resources for his next movie. He's like the only black director who's seems to get to work on bigger budget movies.

Slayven

He'd been sending us his story ideas and fanfiction. Legally, we can't even look at or acknowledge any of that stuff. I let him know that and he said i was being dismissive. Then blamed ME for AC Revelations (i didn't work for Ubi then anyway)

Then came the "you won't listen to me cos i'm not black" messages. Ended with some long message about how he'd start his own Creed, blah blah blah.
I hope you kept that shit incase stuff got legal.

Yeah I use to think Comic fans were the worse, but they are just grumpy compared to video game fans. Folks still hurt over Fish's comments, imagine the break downs if they had to deal with comic writers.
Did you see the guy post about the two dudes about to fight over supes vs thor.

Anyway the crazed fans ( most of the time) are the minority. The reasons gaming fans are seem a bit more, numerous and loud is because Most of us here on Gaf have a passion for video games. We tend to hang around those communities so we see more of the good and bad stuff compared to people who don't.

The next reason is that Video games as a medium are a huge entertainment industry, probably have more fans than other industries, since they often sell more than movies. I think the "gamers are the worse" thing , comes from the fact there are more gamers and shared interests gains exposure to the bad, rather than they are generally worse people.
Superstans and Thorbags are the most vocal, but the guys you have to worry about are the ones that are real into obscure characters.

akira28

Games have been having their DC comics moment for quite some time now. If both Marvel and DC had been pulling New 52 level fuckups for the last 10 years, comic fans would be just as irate as gamers. I already see some parallels in the complaints of fans and in the defense of editors and publishers.

Slayven

Games have been having their DC comics moment for quite some time now. If both Marvel and DC had been pulling New 52 level fuckups for the last 10 years, comic fans would be just as irate as gamers. I already see some parallels in the complaints of fans and in the defense of editors and publishers.

Man if a game company pulled something to Identity Crisis? Man Bish and the mods would have to testify in court.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Superstans and Thorbags are the most vocal, but the guys you have to worry about are the ones that are real into obscure characters.

Damn. My granny had a saying, "throw a rock into a pack of dogs, and the one that gets hit hollers". Well, I'm hollering.

Top Bottom