• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Just watched Olympus Has Fallen, and despite horrible CG, horrible script, and the worst movie ending speech since Steger Segals environmental speech at the end of On Deadly Ground, it's an ok 80's throwback action movie.

Hopefully Mr. Fuqua can get some more resources for his next movie. He's like the only black director who's seems to get to work on bigger budget movies.

Yep. Turned my brain off and basked in the action. I enjoyed it a lot.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Nah dude you alright. I know one dude that is a Captain Marvel hardcore fan, nigga hasn't been having a good 2 decades.

Having your fave get slept on for so long will drive you crazy. Just talk to Ben Reilly hardcores.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
safest marvel character to like is Thing because he's one dimensional enough that they've never done any true damage to his character.

Mark Waid wrote these huge mainfestos about each member of the Fantastic Four and what his approach to their character was gonna be, except for Ben Grimm. "I haven't even the slightest new take on Ben Grimm because he doesn't need a new take. Hes' the least complex character in the Marvel Universe, and I mean that as a compliment"

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
ben grimm's like that uncle where your parents won't let you play violent games then when you spend the night he takes you to the blockbuster and rents you mortal kombat and lonely space vixens for himself.

Village

Nah dude you alright. I know one dude that is a Captain Marvel hardcore fan, nigga hasn't been having a good 2 decades.

I like you Dr.Doom you are a cool guy, you have an country , you have very hidden missles. You and Tony make very good raps. But Imma need you to stop talking shit bout Shizzy.

Unless you mean Captain Mar-veil then go ahead and keep fling the crap

Slayven

I like you Dr.Doom you are a cool guy, you have an country , you have very hidden missles. You and Tony make very good raps. But Imma need you to stop talking shit bout Shizzy.

I actually liked Trails.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I'm definitely getting the new XCOM game.

Gonna have my black panthers save America

ReiGun

Did you see the guy post about the two dudes about to fight over supes vs thor.
I count that among character stuff, which is really the only thing I've seen that turns comic fans into lunatics. Gamers get set off by just about everything.

And it's not hard being a Jean fan once you get over being the one character that's stayed dead for a while.

Slayven

I count that among character stuff, which is really the only thing I've seen that turns comic fans into lunatics. Gamers get set off by just about everything.

Yeah characters have their fans and it is usually a good thing. That shows people can find something to latch on to and invest in their character.

Except Cassandra Cain fans, don't know what they are about except whinging.

Village

Yeah characters have their fans and it is usually a good thing. That shows people can find something to latch on to and invest in their character.

Except Cassandra Cain fans, don't know what they are about except whinging.

I have little to no knowledge about any of the batgirls. They just kind of exist.

And it's not hard being a Jean fan once you get over being the one character that's stayed dead for a while.

That is dependent on who you hang out with or what you are exposed to. Its also could be attributed to the fact that there are generally more people who play games than read comic books.

As far as Jean goes, I don't even know. Whole sections of X-men are an enigma to me because there is so much ( even though they exist in a world with other heroes) self contained crap, I cannot get into it.

It must really suck being a spiderman fan, who actually reads the comics. I want to make a thread about this. But since.. the late 70's til now spidey's comics have not had the best track record. Actually a large number of them are actually quite bad. Just whole arcs of mediocrity and or terribleness. You would think spiderman being one of the big icons of marvel, a house hold name would earn him better treatment. NOPE.

Parallax

I like you Dr.Doom you are a cool guy, you have an country , you have very hidden missles. You and Tony make very good raps0. But Imma need you to stop talking shit bout Shizzy.

Naw. Mar-vell is legit. Let's not start on that. He's just....tragic

ReiGun

I think Cass and Steph fans are just dudes trolling Batfans.
Hey, I like Steph. I think she was the best Batgirl, hands down. Cass, however...yeah I have no idea what people see in her. Especially after DC fucked up her being mute, which was her only interesting character trait. Beyond that, she just seems like someone "original character do not steal" waifu.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I love me some Clayface. Probably my favorite Batman villain, but I don't feel the need to go into every Batman game thread and say 'IS CLAYFACE IN THIS?!' without even discussing the game.

Cassandra Cain fans, however, do.

Parallax

It must really suck being a spiderman fan, who actually reads the comics. I want to make a thread about this. But since.. the late 70's til now spidey's comics have not had the best track record. Actually a large number of them are actually quite bad. Just whole arcs of mediocrity and or terribleness. You would think spiderman being one of the big icons of marvel, a house hold name would earn him better treatment. NOPE.

Peter parker is one of those characters where they retcon bad shit into his past by dudes that claim to love him. He's constantly catching Ls. Whether self inflicted or not. Some fans can't get used to that.

Hey, I like Steph. I think she was the best Batgirl, hands down. Cass, however...yeah I have no idea what people see in her. Especially after DC fucked up her being mute, which was her only interesting character trait. Beyond that, she just seems like someone "original character do not steal" waifu.

I'm a Cass fan. She literally kicks ass, and isnt a perpetual fuck up. Which is nice. But then she got bodied onyx style. A shame. And to be honest, I do t want her in nu52 because she will be ruined.

Peter Parker catches more Ls than Slayven. Thing is, thats just part of his character. Even this whole Superior Spider-Man thing is just an extended metaphor for the Parker Luck

Slayven

Peter Parker catches more Ls than Slayven. Thing is, thats just part of his character. Even this whole Superior Spider-Man thing is just an extended metaphor for the Parker Luck

You own a Wii U, that is Detroit JLA level L.

Justice_League_Detroit.JPG

Village

Peter parker is one of those characters where they retcon bad shit into his past by dudes that claim to love him. He's constantly catching Ls. Whether self inflicted or not. Some fans can't get used to that.

So many things wrong with spiderman comics in general, his whole set up seems to be one BIG L. At this point.

All the spiderman related comics I enjoy do not have pete in it, hmm maybe pete is the issue. Maybe Pete isn't just that interesting a guy.

It comes with the territory when you are the greatest comic book character of all-time.*

*Not named Booster Gold

Slayven

So many things wrong with spiderman comics in general, his whole set up seems to be one BIG L. At this point.

All the spiderman related comics I enjoy do not have pete in it, hmm maybe pete is the issue. Maybe Pete isn't just that interesting a guy.

Hold me back Par.

RedSwirl

Why would anybody be that hardcore of a fan of those mediocre ass games?

I could maybe see if it was some 15 or 16-year-old kid. Think about it. If you're 15 years old you probably don't remember gaming before the PS2, and when AC came out you were not even 10 years old. AC is probably to some people what Metal Gear Solid was for some of us back in the late 90's. Franchises like AC, COD, and Elder Scrolls are probably the most significant developments in the gaming industry for some of the younger fans.

I was so burnt out on it all at that time. I left as soon as i know Bowling was jumping ship.

Really? I did a story on this back when I was writing gaming news. That narrows your identity down to like 12 people.

Aren't there already some Ip Man movies though? I've only seen Ip Man 1 though.

ReiGun

Every comic character has bad stories under their belt, but Spidey is the one where his bad shit just becomes infamous. People take Parker Luck to a whole 'nother level sometimes. Like "You know what would be awesome? If Gwen Stacy had an affair with Norman Osborn and had some kids by him. Yeah, that'd be great."

I'm a Cass fan. She literally kicks ass, and isnt a perpetual fuck up. Which is nice. But then she got bodied onyx style. A shame. And to be honest, I do t want her in nu52 because she will be ruined.

See, I'm cool with a character who just kicks ass, but the fanatical devotion to her had me thinking she was this amazing interesting character and she just isn't.

For real though, the Bat Family made out pretty okay in the Nu 52 aside from Tim Drake not being Robin and the Batgirl situation, and the latter at this point is more about Didio being stubborn than any problems with the writing.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Lydia da boss. She's probably going to be one of my favorite female characters by the end of Breaking Bad.

Todd in the cut /
that's a scary sight.

So the Butler managed to rake in all of that money in it's opening? *is not surprised* Kickass 2 seemingly being horrible is surprising.

Parallax

Despite being the L master, Pete is an awesome character, that is a representative for a reason.
He brings out the best in everyone around him. The more he's around, the less other characters are assholes. He absorbs Ls so others don't have to. And at the same time, can be brutal as shit. As fucked up as superior is, he has nothing on a pissed off Pete.

Village

Despite being the L master, Pete is an awesome character, that is a representative for a reason.
He brings out the best in everyone around him. The more he's around, the less other characters are assholes. He absorbs Ls so others don't have to. And at the same time, can be brutal as shit. As fucked up as superior is, he has nothing on a pissed off Pete.

Truth.

Here something I just remembered , Bruce Banner has children.

I pity the fool that decides to invade Earth
Me and you both. Im too hype for this game.

May the Living Tribunal rule in favor of a blight on your house.....

Nah but real talk gotta disagree with you. Parker is what makes the book. Every nuance about a guy with extraordinary powers and genius level intelligence that lives paycheck to paycheck is why he stands out. But to be honest its the reason I love the Marvel Universe. You got cats like Tony Stark who at the end of the day is trying to make amends for all the shit he has made to destroy life by trying to save lives. He is a futurist and an asshole who tries to encompass the big picture but usually overlooks the smaller details. Some of his best shit was during armor wars and demon in a bottle. Now look at Peter Parker a guy who literally tries to make the fucking best out of any and all situations. You can hand this fucker anything and he tries to face it with a damn smile. Now if that aint an entertaining character I dont know what is. He has has runs of amazing luck(fucking Mary Jane) and his bouts of bullshit(One more day*side note fuck you Quesada for your hatred of what makes parker parker*) But that at the end of the day is a cat like you and me who gotta do what he has to do without doing some ill shit. I mean think about it if Parker was a goddamn villain..... He has every reason and motivation to do that but he knows he has to do the right thing.
And last but not fucking least Steve mother fucking Rogers. The best impulses a cat can have. Weak as fuck but still trying to the right thing. This is the story of what would happen if you give someone willing to go the distance for anybody and his ideals and willing to die for the cat next to him and you give him powers. Anybody that has been in the military or hell served for others and like what they do because of a sense of honor and integrity can relate to this cat. I could harp on him all day but Ive typed enough. In my opinion Steve written at his best is when he shown to be the best of humanity. This is the man that can tell an asshole in a power suit, a goddamn god, the monarch of this biggest kingdom on Earth, and two of the worlds premier assassins to listen. And they will.

Onemic

I'm definitely getting the new XCOM game.

Gonna have my black panthers save America

Im not that sold on it, mainly because it's not being made by Firaxis and 2K has generated little to no media hype approaching release. I didn't even know it was coming out this month until today.

Village

Nah but real talk gotta disagree with you. Parker is what makes the book. Every nuance about a guy with extraordinary powers and genius level intelligence that lives paycheck to paycheck is why he stands out. But to be honest its the reason I love the Marvel Universe
Just seems like bad life choices to me. Refusing to have a stable source of income should not be what makes a super hero interesting.

You got cats like Tony Stark who at the end of the day is trying to make amends for all the shit he has made to destroy life by trying to save lives. He is a futurist and an asshole who tries to encompass the big picture but usually overlooks the smaller details. Some of his best shit was during armor wars and demon in a bottle.
Tony really is a jerk, like really. I just think that needs to keep being said.

Now look at Peter Parker a guy who literally tries to make the fucking best out of any and all situations. You can hand this fucker anything and he tries to face it with a damn smile. Now if that aint an entertaining character I dont know what is. He has has runs of amazing luck(fucking Mary Jane) and his bouts of bullshit(One more day*side note fuck you Quesada for your hatred of what makes parker parker*) But that at the end of the day is a cat like you and me who gotta do what he has to do without doing some ill shit. I mean think about it if Parker was a goddamn villain..... He has every reason and motivation to do that but he knows he has to do the right thing.
While resiliency is one of the reasons people like pete. That doesn't really make pete unique does it. There are plenty of folks in the marvel U who keep on trucking who are far more interesting than pete.

And last but not fucking least Steve mother fucking Rogers. The best impulses a cat can have. Weak as fuck but still trying to the right thing. This is the story of what would happen if you give someone willing to go the distance for anybody and his ideals and willing to die for the cat next to him and you give him powers. Anybody that has been in the military or hell served for others and like what they do because of a sense of honor and integrity can relate to this cat. I could harp on him all day but Ive typed enough. In my opinion Steve written at his best is when he shown to be the best of humanity. This is the man that can tell an asshole in a power suit, a goddamn god, the monarch of this biggest kingdom on Earth, and two of the worlds premier assassins to listen. And they will

Eh I dunno, the avengers being the jerk friend group that they are , are quick to not listen to Steve. Hell one time they didn't listen to Steve so much, one of the greatest Marvel Comic book arcs ever created was made out of it. I do appreciate cap for his humanity though.

Not the biggest fan of pete sorry. Though don't be sad, I like the hulks so , what do i know.All of the hulks.

harSon

Banned
The Grandmaster was mediocre. The first half was good, but there was a pretty big fall off in the middle of the second act and it almost seemed like massive chunks of specific subplots were missing.

Top Bottom