• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

Such a thing would have to be a crazy leap/mutation in evolution. I mean think about how long bending was around in the world before Earth Benders learned they could also bend Metal? It could happen but I don't think it's odd that it hasn't yet. There's still more Korra to be made so who knows if it will show up at some point.

I don't think the ability for someone to bend more than one basic element is an evolution thing as much as it is a genetic possibility that has yet to be explored in the universe and this is still with the understanding that the Avatar needs to be the focal point of doing more than one at a time.

We know Toph figured it out but who knows if others did before her and just didn't drop the knowledge on it.

honestly it never crossed my mind that there would benders doing more than one element. i feel like that goes against the point of the show.

besides firebenders have lightning. waterbenders have bloodbending. earthbenders have metal now.
does airbending have a secondary ability?

The whole point of the show is that there is one "Avatar" who has the capability to learn how to master all four elements. It wouldn't make sense to have the average joe capable of using more than one element.

True enough on both accounts. My thing is when you leave these types of questions on the table it becomes very hard to not be curious about it.

And as of now Airbending doesn't have an enhanced ability. I have the feeling we'll be seeing it in Book 2 though.

That's not really what we're saying. Bloodlines = power in that universe and Toph/Aang blood is the equivalent of nuclear power

Exactly. We still sit at the question on how genetics work and given what we have to work with it isn't too far fetched to assume certain combinations would produce something to see in that universe.

Imm0rt4l

Hey everyone,

Finally back on campus where the only place that I'm 23, but feel like an old man.
I haven't felt as old this time around compared to last year when I thought dubstep was a type of dance and thought ratchet was referring to Ratchet for Ratchet & Clank.
Welcome and strong username. I was 24 my last year of school. Felt old as hell.

I don't think the ability for someone to bend more than one basic element is an evolution thing as much as it is a genetic possibility that has yet to be explored in the universe and this is still with the understanding that the Avatar needs to be the focal point of doing more than one at a time.

We know Toph figured it out but who knows if others did before her and just didn't drop the knowledge on it.

But seeing as how the Avatar is the only one within that universe capable of bending more than one element and that they ability for them to do so isn't genetic but through a spiritual reincarnation (only ever one Avatar at a time) it would stand to reason that whatever the genetic reason for bending being passed down, it's genetically impossible for anyone to bend more than one element without evolution/mutation. To bring up Eye Color again, being born with a different color in each eye would be a genetic mutation.

Of course, being a story, it could always be introduced in other ways (like an individual somehow finding a way to spiritually unlock untapped potential in another element that lies dormant within their gene pool) but until such a story is shown.. the laws within the universe say that it hasn't ever happened before and thusly isn't possible.

And I would think that if there were any before Toph that discovered the ability to bend Metal.. it would be incredibly hard to practice without being discovered. Bending is a big deal in the world, so it's not likely someone was living in even a secluded village around others using their metal bending and never having the story spread.

And as of now Airbending doesn't have an enhanced ability. I have the feeling we'll be seeing it in Book 2 though.

I think it should be a sound type of power. Lightening really should've been Air's enhanced ability imo but whatever.

Slayven

You know what? I didn't know there was an uncut music video to this song.

Neat
This might sound weird but those kind of shoes the models were wearing turn me on like no other.

If you read the lyrics carefully it's more gross than that.

Yeah i was jsut glossing over it. I got too problems with Robin Thicke. First I always get him confused with Alan Thicke. 2, he sounds like bootleg Prince.

But he is funny as hell on Hollywood Husbands.

This might sound weird but those kind of shoes the models were wearing turn me on like no other.

Yeah i was jsut glossing over it. I got too problems with Robin Thicke. First I always get him confused with Alan Thicke. 2, he sounds like bootleg Prince.

It's practically a PUA lecture in anthem format.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

the alan thicke thing i get. he is blood after all.

the prince thing though? i dont hear it. im reminded of his bum hippy phase, and i think of jt more than prince

But seeing as how the Avatar is the only one within that universe capable of bending more than one element and that they ability for them to do so isn't genetic but through a spiritual reincarnation (only ever one Avatar at a time) it would stand to reason that whatever the genetic reason for bending being passed down, it's genetically impossible for anyone to bend more than one element without evolution/mutation. To bring up Eye Color again, being born with a different color in each eye would be a genetic mutation.

Of course, being a story, it could always be introduced in other ways (like an individual somehow finding a way to spiritually unlock untapped potential in another element that lies dormant within their gene pool) but until such a story is shown.. the laws within the universe say that it hasn't ever happened before and thusly isn't possible.

Exactly. Becoming the Avatar is a right place, right time thing. You have the order in which the cycle runs and the RNG on who's it going to be.

Genetics have nothing to do with becoming the Avatar which is why I made the point to start with. Because the whole Avatar process is beyond anything genetic is that the possibilities for someone to have the affinity for more than one element without the process is possible.

The show has yet to explain how bending works at that type of level and until we get one everything is all speculation.

So whether it happens to be my genetics theory or yours about breaking down that wall spritually it all falls into the same category of What If? until otherwise proven something,

And I would think that if there were any before Toph that discovered the ability to bend Metal.. it would be incredibly hard to practice without being discovered. Bending is a big deal in the world, so it's not likely someone was living in even a secluded village around others using their metal bending and never having the story spread.

That universe is crazy like that. Amon is a huge example of this. They thought that the Reverse Megaman Jutsu was an Avatar exclusive thing until we learned otherwise. Those possibilities are endless.

I think it should be a sound type of power. Lightening really should've been Air's enhanced ability imo but whatever.

Fire's the perfect fit. Think about Lighting being the extension of the light that Fire can produce but in a concentrated form.

Bloodbending is an example of an enhanced control of water inside of another human.

Toph explained how Metalbending worked by saying that metal is just reforged Earth in a different state.

Air is just going to breakdown into some form of DBZ type flight or moving at very high speeds or the like.

Book 2 needs to deliver. I really want it to.

Exactly. Becoming the Avatar is a right place, right time thing. You have the order in which the cycle runs and the RNG on who's it going to be.

Genetics have nothing to do with becoming the Avatar which is why I made the point to start with. Because the whole Avatar process is beyond anything genetic is that the possibilities for someone to have the affinity for more than one element without the process is possible.

The show has yet to explain how bending works at that type of level and until we get one everything is all speculation.

So whether it happens to be my genetics theory or yours about breaking down that wall spritually it all falls into the same category of What If? until otherwise proven something,

This idea crossed my mind but they've explained that Avatar isn't just a designation for the one person who has the ability. They have shared memories and connect to each other on a metaphysical/spiritual level. And seeing as how the Avatar has been the only person in the Universes existence that can bend more than one element, having mixtures of elements doesn't seem to work. It's not as if Aang and Katara are the first mixed Element couple. People freely travel between kingdoms.

That universe is crazy like that. Amon is a huge example of this. They thought that the Reverse Megaman Jutsu was an Avatar exclusive thing until we learned otherwise. Those possibilities are endless.

My memory is hazy on this but aren't the techniques different? The Avatar can remove chi while Amon simply blocks it through some extension of his blood bending?

Fire's the perfect fit. Think about Lighting being the extension of the light that Fire can produce but in a concentrated form.

Bloodbending is an example of an enhanced control of water inside of another human.

Toph explained how Metalbending worked by saying that metal is just reforged Earth in a different state.

Air is just going to breakdown into some form of DBZ type flight or moving at very high speeds or the like.

Book 2 needs to deliver. I really want it to.

Fire isn't light though. It's combustion. Lightening is roughly created through wind moving water in the air creating a friction that causes the lightening. Bloodbending and Metal bending make sense in a similar fashion. I think Lightening was chosen for fire simply because of it's destructive and unpredictable nature. It fit the story quite well but it just bothers me because the connection doesn't fit well enough for my tastes.

But yeah, looking forward to Book 2. Not long now.

Gorillaz

Hope you're not talking about that awful Spike VGAs

I'm going to the Machinima IGAs. But the VGAs is big on the industry calendar, like it or not. Might also be at that one.
but..going to/watching VGA's you get classy moments like these

2080478-teabag.gif

Goddamn Dulcolax.........

Jesus its killing my stomach.

Oh yeah and I watched the VMA performances and to be honest it made me wanna listen to that cat Bruno Mars. Everyone else was eh.

I'm going to be honest with yall. I saw that thread about 25 black people getting kicked out and I thought, "no party of 25 sits around for two hours and not become annoying as shit."

Am I becoming RipClaweJR?

Slayven

I'm going to be honest with yall. I saw that thread about 25 black people getting kicked out and I thought, "no party of 25 sits around for two hours and not become annoying as shit."

Am I becoming RipClaweJR?

Post your blog first, that is the true decider.

Spinluck

DominoKid

Bomani Jones cookin on the VMAs. (gets going about 9 mins in)
- the tribute to brooklyn
- Pat Boone vs Elvis (apparently Elvis gets a bad rap. i'm not up on that enough to know.)
- hitting on how Brits appropriate black culture vs American whites
- talking about how twerking is "new"
- the absence/lack of blackness from an award show dripping with black culture. (once they get enough white rappers hot at one time then we're out of there as far as mainstream goes. i've always felt like that.)

we obsolete brehs.

This idea crossed my mind but they've explained that Avatar isn't just a designation for the one person who has the ability. They have shared memories and connect to each other on a metaphysical/spiritual level. And seeing as how the Avatar has been the only person in the Universes existence that can bend more than one element, having mixtures of elements doesn't seem to work. It's not as if Aang and Katara are the first mixed Element couple. People freely travel between kingdoms.

Correct. Still we're dealing in spiritual here when you speak of the Avatar process versus my thoughts on the evolutionary possibilities on genetics within the universe.

And as far as couples go the thing with that is when you have genetic possibilities like Aang & Katara or Lin & Tenzin on the table, you can't help but to wonder if. That's what this whole thing has been about. The possibilities based of things we may never get an answer to.

My memory is hazy on this but aren't the techniques different? The Avatar can remove chi while Amon simply blocks it through some extension of his blood bending?

Yes and No. It's more of a 2 sides of the same coin scenario where Amon can permanently block the flow of chi but Aang can completely control the flow of it however he sees fit. Which is why Korra had to learn Energybending to reverse the damage done because using it as Amon had been is a one-way trip.

Fire isn't light though. It's combustion. Lightening is roughly created through wind moving water in the air creating a friction that causes the lightening. Bloodbending and Metal bending make sense in a similar fashion. I think Lightening was chosen for fire simply because of it's destructive and unpredictable nature. It fit the story quite well but it just bothers me because the connection doesn't fit well enough for my tastes.

But yeah, looking forward to Book 2. Not long now.

Wasn't trying to think of it as how Lightning works in real life but in a more Avatar universal sense as an extension to Firebending and how it is assumed they flow together. My thoughts on it were just that. Not really confirmed how Lightning is the next step up by anyone at the moment.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
The twerking fascination all of a sudden is od ridiculous. I remember plenty of news pieces on Baltimore news stations about how freak dancing and the like were oh so demonic. Made it seem like you'd need the power of Christ to save the young ones. Now, it's the new wave and talk of the town: mainly thanks to one person.

Macklemore being the best thing in hip hop and the attention Miley gets low key bother the fuck out of me, even though I have no issue with them or their music, especially Miley's. The diversity is great.

Village

Do you all remember that guy I posted Getting angry ready to pop off and went outside to meet some FGC dude, for fight. And dude didn't show up.

While he isn't in fighting mode, Interesting video Sportz

harSon

Banned
Chadwick Boseman has signed on to play James Brown in a James Brown biopic. It's directed by Tate Taylor who did The Help though........

BHZ Mayor

If the internet is so up in arms over Blurred Lines, I'd hate to see what it would be like if Keith Sweat - Make You Sweat (you say no, I say yes) dropped today. He would've gotten that U.O.E.N.O. treatment.

Slayven

That is some badass stuff.

Also screw namor, just need to throw that out there.

Which even badass is that Namor and BP are having a drink chillin and BP just drops "Too bad about your people"

Namor drops his cup and goes"What did you do?!?!?!?!?"

TheBookie

Neo Member
Bomani Jones cookin on the VMAs. (gets going about 9 mins in)
- the tribute to brooklyn
- Pat Boone vs Elvis (apparently Elvis gets a bad rap. i'm not up on that enough to know.)
- hitting on how Brits appropriate black culture vs American whites
- talking about how twerking is "new"
- the absence/lack of blackness from an award show dripping with black culture. (once they get enough white rappers hot at one time then we're out of there as far as mainstream goes. i've always felt like that.)

we obsolete brehs.

I was just about to post this. Just read the user comments in this article about Eminem's latest £8 coaster.

Isn't it funny that the greatest most powerful rapper of all time...................is a skinny white kid from Detroit!

- Danii , New York, 27/8/2013 14:36

I am a 54 year old woman and I must admit rappers are not my cup of tea and I don't suppose that surprises a lot of people my age. However, Eminem is the only rapper that I have actually bought his music, I really think the guy is great. For me he's just as good as a poet. I bought his album Recovery which I really thought was great and I must admit I will certainly look into this new album and probably buy it. That's if it's as good as recovery. He is way better that the rest of them put together. The rest of them just make a whole lot of noise and swear and shout but his songs actually tell stories. Carry on the good work Marshall.

- Elizabeth, Paris, 27/8/2013 15:30

So transparent.

DominoKid

If the internet is so up in arms over Blurred Lines, I'd hate to see what it would be like if Keith Sweat - Make You Sweat (you say no, I say yes) dropped today. He would've gotten that U.O.E.N.O. treatment.

As much as I hate Blurred Lines, I'm actually a bit amused at how it's steamrolling all the outrage over the lyrics.

Who says Black People can't swim. Wakandian soldiers invading Atlantis.

9360647207_7e8d3eb964_o.jpg

Cats can swim bitch!!!

Lol.

So I'm gonna ask this question again since I got no traction last time. What marvel book is worth picking up on the monthly? Hell what book period from either company. I want something all around good.

Top Bottom