• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

Nakazato

College/IT Gaf

Im looking at a few degrees atm. To start likely next year. MIS CIS Finance or Nursing.

I would love to do nursing cause the med field is good atm and jobs will be abundant for years. But My boy said not to due to the stress.

So any advice? Looking for a fresh start making good money.

College/IT Gaf

Im looking at a few degrees atm. To start likely next year. MIS CIS Finance or Nursing.

I would love to do nursing cause the med field is good atm and jobs will be abundant for years. But My boy said not to due to the stress.

Nurses make decent money but they're overworked as all hell.

College/IT Gaf

Nursing good money, but the work can be not just a physical drain, but mental stress.. dealing with death, etc...

CIS is good

Nakazato

Nurses make decent money but they're overworked as all hell.

Nursing good money, but the work can be not just a physical drain, but mental stress.. dealing with death, etc...

CIS is good

Some of the people I know got stressed trying to get some obviously inept doctors/nurses off staff.

oh yeah, that too... my mom sometimes wonders how some peeps got their nursing license.

Hmmm. Nursing would be great. But I'd really have to ask myself could I stand the sight of blood or see ppl die in front of me.

CIS pay well ? I would go CS but my math skills atm aren't very good. Haven't had to do math in a good like time.

Hmmm. Nursing would be great. But I'd really have to ask myself could I stand the sight of blood or see ppl die in front of me.

CIS pay well ? I would go CS but my math skills atm aren't very good. Haven't had to do math in a good like time.

CS and math are overrated. There are plenty of CS based fields where all you need is basic math.

IMO, if you are 31 and still making less than 6 figs as a developer, you are doing something wrong.

Nakazato

CS and math are overrated. There are plenty of CS based fields where all you need is basic math.

IMO, if you are 31 and still making less than 6 figs as a developer, you are doing something wrong.

Im 6 years a way from 31 .... but I understand. lol It just that being out of High school 8 years then not really having to take a higher level math class in college (my 1st time through) has be a bit worried.

and with that being said Math was never really my strongest subject/

at least now im trying to get a back up to my back up plan

Escoblade on bast?

If that is someone that posts in this thread, I don't mean to offend him/her or anyone in particular. I just feel like there are plenty of opportunities to reach 100k+ as a developer in a multitude of fields. There are tons of companies that will pay you what you are worth. At the same time, there are just as many who are willing to screw you over.

Im 6 years a way from 31 .... but I understand. lol It just that being out of High school 8 years then not really having to take a higher level math class in college (my 1st time through) has be a bit worried.

Yeah dood, I wouldn't worry about it. Unless you are doing something physics or graphics related, knowing calc level math is not really needed.

If that is someone that posts in this thread, I don't mean to offend him/her or anyone in particular. I just feel like there are plenty of opportunities to reach 100k+ as a developer in a multitude of fields. There are tons of companies that will pay you what you are worth. At the same time, there are just as many who are willing to screw you over.

yeah, basically, don't work on videogames for the money.

I ain't in games for the money. That being said.....Ubi pay me REAL well. And i have opportunity for long term career growth.

That's good man and I hope you continue doing what you enjoy doing.

For me, I could never get into the game world. Way too much to deal with. Props to you.

Gorillaz

Esco getting that french money

Honestly tho before Niggas in Paris came out and everyone talked about France, I've trying to go there. Even planning a trip to Paris next summer with my old roommates. Shits expensive doe

zero_suit

Honestly tho before Niggas in Paris came out and everyone talked about France, I've trying to go there. Even planning a trip to Paris next summer with my old roommates. Shits expensive doe

I heard it has the GOAT museum (Louvre) and food.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
In my French Class they had the most obvious 'all colors of the rainbow' casting in their lesson videos.

It was like white male, black male, asian female, kid in wheelchair, blind kid, indian kid just all happened to hang out exclusively with each other.

harSon

Banned
In my French Class they had the most obvious 'all colors of the rainbow' casting in their lesson videos.

It was like white male, black male, asian female, kid in wheelchair, blind kid, indian kid just all happened to hang out exclusively with each other.

The wheelchair kid always kills me in text books. I remember in my Spanish book, they had some kid in a wheel chair playing football. Dude had that breakaway speed though, cause he burned homeboy for the deep ball.

Nakazato

I went growing up. I like it but its dirty. Food is fucking amazing. And try escargot chewy yea but it was great. Gorillaz in Paris will be our next story

The wheelchair kid always kills me in text books. I remember in my Spanish book, they had some kid in a wheel chair playing football
But didnt you play jimmy in degrassi.you should know his pain.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
That's good man and I hope you continue doing what you enjoy doing.

For me, I could never get into the game world. Way too much to deal with. Props to you.

Thanks. Yeah, there are problems and politics in the industry. But i feel we needs more of our peeps in gaming. Not nearly enough of us represented across the board. Amongst other things of course.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I find math very difficult but honestly it's easier than it was before because now I can actually pay attention, get extra tutoring and plan time to study more as an adult rather than an emotion, acne-faced teen.

And CSIS have an associates path that doesn't require too much math. Just College Algebra and various math equations required in coding languages. Don't get me wrong, math proficiency and higher mathematics help, but there are paths for when the math-challenged these days.

You might try for an associates in computer science and information systems which would only take you about 2 years at a community college. Then look into degree transfer programs while shopping your associate's out to intern programs.

ALSO DID I MISS SOMETHING

Or do we still not have the next installment of Dy's Military Wife Saga?

Hallelujah a thread has been closed

Awe man, I wanted to use this gif.

6j9KhUS.jpg

College/IT Gaf

I'm gonna be as straight up as possible. My girl has been a nurse for 27 years. She is currently working home health. She has worked in all settings from emergency to ICU to critical care/hospice. For 10 days of work she made 4800 dollars after taxes. She has almost every certification imaginable. She is a beast when it comes to health care.

Now listen to what I'm gonna say. She would recommend anyone else to go into the computer field period. She says the only reason she is making what she makes is due to the experience. I hope this helps. She has to drive a ways but.....

Everything comes with a price. I hope you understand where I'm coming from with this.

Onemic

Going back to school on Tuesday for Computer Programming and Analysis. After having not been in school for a year just thinking of going back feels weird. It's a 3 year course too :(

Kaizer

Banned
Sup, Black-GAF, haven't been in this thread in a while. How's everyone doing? I just started my new semester last week, pretty dope so far. I'm finally taking Japanese after wanting to learn for like the past 6 years. Learned most of the hiragana so far and a few phrases.

I was definitely surprised by the number of black brothas & sistas in the course - I'm used to usually being the token in a lot of my classes. Also trying to make an effort to get back into the social game after living like a hermit for the past three years, signed up for our schools new event planning team and will helping out at some festivals we're doing later this year. Also got my internship with the music program I'm enrolled in to look forward to. Hopefully it's in the studio so I can get the production ball rolling.

Sup, Black-GAF, haven't been in this thread in a while. How's everyone doing? I just started my new semester last week, pretty dope so far. I'm finally taking Japanese after wanting to learn for like the past 6 years. Learned most of the hiragana so far and a few phrases.

I was definitely surprised by the number of black brothas & sistas in the course - I'm used to usually being the token in a lot of my classes. Also trying to make an effort to get back into the social game after living like a hermit for the past three years, signed up for our schools new event planning team and will helping out at some festivals we're doing later this year. Also got my internship with the music program I'm enrolled in to look forward to. Hopefully it's in the studio so I can get the production ball rolling.

Japanese got me out of the country, a lot of good friends and memories, and ultimately into the industry. Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I just want Platinum to stop making shit like Anarchy Reigns. That game was awful.

I like most their other stuff but god damn, if that game came from any other developer it would have gotten shit on. I'll take a new Rising game though. And I'll likely want more W101 cause I love the ideas behind it.

Spinluck

So my mom bought me this complexion soap stuff stuff recently, because every time I see her she says I'm letting the sun burn/darken my face lol. Which is true since my face has become a lot darker than my body. But I don't really think the soap is helping much.. I almost feel as if it's making it worse. Mom doesn't know best :'(.

Going back to school on Tuesday for Computer Programming and Analysis. After having not been in school for a year just thinking of going back feels weird. It's a 3 year course too :(

Good luck bruh.

Top Bottom