• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

Slayven

People called me Yin Yang in HS because I'm black, white and asian. They also called me Rush Hour in elementary. Kids be creative with those nick names...

Kid slander ranks just under old church lady slander and gay male slander.

You know shit that can fuck you up for life.

Nakazato

If you were a Gi Joe, what would be your codename?
Hmmm....
Hammafist

dem next-gen particles

1Zn8.gif

I SAY GOD DAMN

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
People getting twisted over a damn donut add from half a world away, that some white dude brought up.

If a naked, jet black woman offers me a donut, I'm all in.

so you take food from random naked people? huh

I look at it this way. It is racist as fuck, but am I upset? Nah

Think about it like this-why would making a woman jet black, in this particular context, be racist? Donut=delicious. Jet black woman=delicious. There's no malice or mockery in making her black in this instance, unlike what usually happens with blackface.

Think about it like this-why would making a woman jet black, in this particular context, be racist? Donut=delicious. Jet black woman=delicious. There's no malice or mockery in making her black in this instance, unlike what usually happens with blackface.

Black is still good, is a poor advertising technique.

Black is still good, is a poor advertising technique.

But see, that's on the person looking at the image, whether to see it as "black is good" or "black is still good." Admitted, I can't read Thai so I don't know exactly what it says on the poster, but it doesn't seem to be putting out that vibe.

If anything, I give the Thai people credit for going with "black is still good" over the American "nah, you don't really want black."

Anyway, trying to talk about the finer points of thing like this in the general OT with some of those cats is like trying to teach a dog not to take a shit ever again.

Slayven

They made her lips pink to draw the black= black people parallel. Such a unneeded move. cause it is not like the donet is jelly filled from my understanding.

The lip color matches the logo, but it's also what makes it skirt the line. I'd probably like the ad, if not for that.

There is always a catch. Trick is to not accept the catch and just flat out call it out.

Hey, pink lips are not necessary. Lets do something else.

But that is literally a world with 'no' black people. The fuck do they care. lol.

Slayven

I wish every ad and media office had an old black man that sat in the corner watching tv all day. And any new idea for public consumption has to be ran through him. Either he gives you the nod, or side eye powered by dogs and firehoses.

The Butler would not have made it past script stage.

I wish every ad and media office had an old black man that sat in the corner watching tv all day. And any new idea for public consumption has to be ran through him. Either he gives you the nod, or side eye powered by dogs and firehoses.

Call Key and Peele lol

Butler was fine. Tried way too hard to connect the dots though.

FLSP_Grodd_Cv1-417x650.jpg

Seriously DC Comics: get a black friend. Male or female, it doesn’t matter, just get one. We’re easy to find. Get one and then ask him if it’s cool to have Africa ruled by a monkey. Just run it by them, real casual-like. “Hey man, what do you think about this?” If they give you the gasface or their eyebrows narrow… change your plans.

How come Africa is always the one continent that someone gets to rule ALL of? No one rules an entire continent in the real world, and Africa has dozens, if not hundreds, of distinct peoples and cultures. I get that treating it as something other than a homogeneous Dark Continent would require, I dunno, opening Wikipedia or something, and that it’s just easier to make up a country with an African sounding name. I get that you guys don’t actually care about colored folks. They’re just action figures yet to be produced, a checkbox waiting to be ticked on the path to a “diverse” universe. Your track record has proven that, and as much as I wish otherwise, I can’t really fault you for it. You’re in the business of making profit, and black people don’t sell to the pet market you’ve groomed. It is what it is. This is the world we live in.

But for really real, though: you seriously need to get a black friend.

‘Cause you’re looking real stupid right now.

Yall are making me side with the usual suspects on this. Blackface typically has exaggerated outlines of big lips in contrast to the black background. That lady just has logo colored lipstick and a smile.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
In my humble opinion, The Butler was straight up trash

Its 2013. Racism has changed, why can't the movies about it change too?

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
In my humble opinion, The Butler was straight up trash

Its 2013. Racism has changed, why can't the movies about it change too?

Crash. That's why, and it still won awards. You can't get a movie about race that isn't extreme as all fucks or about slavery and the civil rights movement. Anything else would be to real.

Crash. That's why, and it still won awards. You can't get a movie about race that isn't extreme as all fucks or about slavery and the civil rights movement. Anything else would be to real.

The closest we're probably going to get until around 2016 are sci-fi allegories at best. I don't know, how did Fruitville Station do?

Shit.

I just prefer discussing real issues and arguing for change, instead of wasting capital and credibility on dumb shit.

Give me the reasoning for willful blackface. I'd be happy to hear it.

That's what I was talking about before. What does a questionable donut ad from Thailand really have to do with what's going on here at home? If anything, a lot of Asian ideas about black skin are hand me downs from white culture. It's the same reason people are adamant that it's not even questionable in the thread.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

I agree.

Now it'd be great if some black filmmakers would stop trying to pander to the known commodities and pitch something different for once. Even my grandmother thinks that The Bulter was played out.

Slayven

FLSP_Grodd_Cv1-417x650.jpg

Seriously DC Comics: get a black friend. Male or female, it doesn’t matter, just get one. We’re easy to find. Get one and then ask him if it’s cool to have Africa ruled by a monkey. Just run it by them, real casual-like. “Hey man, what do you think about this?” If they give you the gasface or their eyebrows narrow… change your plans.

How come Africa is always the one continent that someone gets to rule ALL of? No one rules an entire continent in the real world, and Africa has dozens, if not hundreds, of distinct peoples and cultures. I get that treating it as something other than a homogeneous Dark Continent would require, I dunno, opening Wikipedia or something, and that it’s just easier to make up a country with an African sounding name. I get that you guys don’t actually care about colored folks. They’re just action figures yet to be produced, a checkbox waiting to be ticked on the path to a “diverse” universe. Your track record has proven that, and as much as I wish otherwise, I can’t really fault you for it. You’re in the business of making profit, and black people don’t sell to the pet market you’ve groomed. It is what it is. This is the world we live in.

But for really real, though: you seriously need to get a black friend.

‘Cause you’re looking real stupid right now.

that is when I came up with "no black people work in that office theory"

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
That Pusha T art is dope.

The closest we're probably going to get until around 2016 are sci-fi allegories at best. I don't know, how did Fruitville Station do?

I heard that it was excellent. Haven't had the chance to go see it yet... :/

I agree.

Now it'd be great if some black filmmakers would stop trying to pander to the known commodities and pitch something different for once. Even my grandmother thinks that The Bulter was played out.

I really wish they would too...

DominoKid

It is the third highest opening of the year for a film in limited release (behind Spring Breakers and The Place Beyond the Pines)[31] and it is also one of the best openings for a Sundance festival top prize winner.[32]

Top Bottom