• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

Shit man, you do anything bad in your past, some niggas on GAF will write your ass off forever. Fuck second chances or doing something positive with your life, when I'm virtually murdering old ladies and robbing banks, I gotta do it with a clean conscience, ya heard?

BHZ Mayor

Shit man, you do anything bad in your past, some niggas on GAF will write your ass off forever. Fuck second chances or doing something positive with your life, when I'm virtually murdering old ladies and robbing banks, I gotta do it with a clean conscience, ya heard?
Reminds me of this one thread where a gaffer (I believe his name was Pkm) was asking for help (I think for some contest, something GAF helps with all the time) and he had a tag that linked to him talking about some dumb shit he did (beating people up, petty thefts, pissing in people's yards, etc., nothing really beyond redemption) when he was a teen like 20 years ago, which was in a thread about talking about dumb shit you did when you were younger. The whole thread was nothing but "you're a scumbag, you don't deserve help" yadda yadda.

Edit: Here's the thread. OP no longer has that tag, for obvious reasons.
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=485741

Reminds me of this one thread where a gaffer (I believe his name was Pkm) was asking for help (I think for some contest, something GAF helps with all the time) and he had a tag that linked to him talking about some dumb shit he did (beating people up, petty thefts, pissing in people's yards, etc., nothing really beyond redemption) when he was a teen like 20 years ago, which was in a thread about talking about dumb shit you did when you were younger. The whole thread was nothing but "you're a scumbag, you don't deserve help" yadda yadda.

Edit: Here's the thread. OP no longer has that tag, for obvious reasons.
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=485741

That's messed up. I've never bothered to click on tags, but have blinked at a few.

Apparently some people don't believe in change or improvement.

Slayven

I don't reference old stuff unless I am joking or it is some truly fucked up shit they did or admited to doing. For example (black culture being a cancer or abandoning your son).

Being paid for being a gang member (not a reformed one) is not redeemable. And I doubt these cats are taking their small rock star checks and funding their education.

Would have expected you all to better understand that than the manbabies more mad about you not supporting their favorite series than communities falling apart.

Being paid for being a gang member (not a reformed one) is not redeemable. And I doubt these cats are taking their small rock star checks and funding their education.

Would have expected you all to better understand that than the manbabies more mad about you not supporting their favorite series than communities falling apart.

People in that thread are mostly mad because the people in question are brown, but I get your point.

Nakazato

Film set Pay off gang members all the time.

For the safety of the production. Hell I had a teacher that worked on Training Day and said He was told by the producer to "that they had a paid for a truce is the gangs in the area till the last day of filming. And he needed to drop off "A package" "

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
This is simple glorification. Yeah I might enjoy it or have a more realistic experience because of it but it's still glorification. That being said, Rockstar has given these people a legal means to make some money. So at least a little good is coming out of this.

You do realize that in a lot of cases, the difference between being a Gang Member and being an Ex-Gang Member is literally the ability to get away from that neighborhood and those people right?

You don't just send in a letter of resignation to HR and say "Thanks for memories guys, but I'm done" and keep living where you live while you go to Junior College to try to make something of yourself, but then can't because no one will hire an ex-con.

Slayven

Rockstar didn't start the gangs an what they paying them is probably enough to get by for a week. This is just Rockstar trying to get cred. It's nothing to get worked up over, so the internet is going to freak out.

You do realize that in a lot of cases, the difference between being a Gang Member and being an Ex-Gang Member is literally the ability to get away from that neighborhood and those people right?

You don't just send in a letter of resignation to HR and say "Thanks for memories guys, but I'm done" and keep living where you live while you go to Junior College to try to make something of yourself, but then can't because no one will hire an ex-con.
Yeah, I don't see the connection? You think a one off VA recording for ambient sounds is going to buy them their ticket out of town? This isn't gainful employment. This isn't repeatable. This is literally, "finding the scary people" for authenticity. Their words, not mine.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Rockstar didn't start the gangs an what they paying them is probably enough to get by for a week. This is just Rockstar trying to get cred. It's nothing to get worked up over, so the internet is going to freak out.

my problem lies with R* trying to market this more so than who they used for vo.

J10

Banned
It was glorification before they hired gang members to talk into a mic. Nothing is different with or without them. You can still snipe and beat people to death for no reason in GTA regardless of who's doing the voice acting. Asking gangs to lend their voices to an entertainment product partially based on their own life experiences doesn't knock over any dominoes, nor does not asking them.

my problem lies with R* trying to market this more so than who they used for vo.

Yeah, the decision to announce it is an obvious marketing ploy. I doubt most people who will play it would have felt betrayed if they found out after the fact that current or former gang members provided ambient background convo on their precious game.

Yeah, I don't see the connection? You think a one off VA recording for ambient sounds is going to buy them their ticket out of town? This isn't gainful employment. This isn't repeatable. This is literally, "finding the scary people" for authenticity. Their words, not mine.

In a world where employment through typical means is already going to be difficult due to criminal records and where experience is oft times valued more highly than education/accreditation, a credited VA job for a role they can bring authenticity to can very well lead them to more of the same in the future.

And you're taking a PR interview that's designed to make something rather mundane seem larger than life and acting as if it's written in their hiring syllabus or something. A point can be made that it's poor form in marketing but when the game itself is Grand Theft Auto, where you play characters that routinely take part in gang activity and criminal endeavors, the argument can be made that there's a significant portion of the audience that would see the "credibility" angle as a positive for the game.

BHZ Mayor

This is the same franchise where you're able to fuck hookers for health then kill them for a refund. Where's the "OMG slut shaming" outrage that everyone likes to trip themselves over these days to make themselves feel better about not having any standards?

The game is called Grand Theft Auto, anyone crying about "glorification" with these VAs are dumb as hell. We're talking about a series in which I've been able to do the following.

-Kill with no remorse
-Steal cars
-Sell drugs
-Drive drunk
-Fuck prostitutes
-Join gangs
-Get into gang wars
-Rob homes
-Run over civilians
-Kill cops

Basically everything I can't do in real life without dire consequences.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Yal need a better argument

because people are gonna hit you with the same shit from gang violence glorified in rap music

harSon

Banned
Film set Pay off gang members all the time.

For the safety of the production. Hell I had a teacher that worked on Training Day and said He was told by the producer to "that they had a paid for a truce is the gangs in the area till the last day of filming. And he needed to drop off "A package" "

Yup, the list of films that use legitimate gang members is quite of long.

harSon

Banned
Fun fact Danny Trejo was a gang member and I think was convicted for murder but GAF has no problem with him getting parts in movies and tv

Yeah, people are hypocritical about a lot of things, considering that many people are more than happy to support Roman Polanski by paying to see his films.

Imm0rt4l

I'm probably missing something here but I'm not sure why I should care what they spend the money they earned on. Maybe I'm disconnected because I know gangsters? I must have missed a bit of convo or something because whether they've redeemed themselves or not doesnt matter. What matters is how ginuine the ambience is.

I don't know about you guys, but I plan on playing as Franklin, dressing him up in the most stereotypical hood attire and have him shoot up everyone while I scream "thug life nigga!" into my Kinect sensor and play Drake in the background.

Gorillaz

Just look at it as Rockstar being Rockstar. Trying to prove to the world they are the badboys of gaming which feels so obnixous and pretentious but at this point its whatever

Top Bottom