• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

I think you guys are reacting to the "tell someone not to rape," which honestly doesn't even seem that out there to me, but you have to recognize we need to reinforce to these younger boys and men especially that they need to respect women, use their heads, and watch their tempers. There's a lot of imagery out there from all camps that says to them "just do whatever and fuck consequences." It obviously depends on the person's common sense, but there's definitely no harm to be done by reminding people to watch themselves.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
We can't tell people not to rape people because they might be offended. OKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY THEN.
Because its common fucking sense as you described in limited context. Had you said "do you teach your kids/siblings to respect women?" or "does he know that putting hands to a woman is wrong?" that'd be entirely different.

Asking if I tell my people not to rape is just... it sounds weird as fuck. Like did I tell my sister not to choke cats today? At that base of level, what kind of responses do you think you'd get?

J10

Banned
I assumed people understood that I was simplifying my language for the sake of brevity. Use whatever language is appropriate in real life to get the point across.

BHZ Mayor

I assumed people understood that I was simplifying my language for the sake of brevity. Use whatever language is appropriate in real life to get the point across.
You can't be too sure here on GAF. There are posters who will post what you did and won't be simplifying. So you gotta be clear.

If another person tells me "You're the whitest black person I know" I'm gonna fight someone. And it's never even from other black people! I've never had that said to me by any of my black friends.

I tried explaining why this annoyed me to an asian friend and she didn't understand. Although she's always bringing up how she works as an assistant in a hospital and old people are always surprised by her being able to speak english. I'm gonna start telling her "Wow, you're english is so good!" all the time and see how she feels.

I've got to find one of these for all the other races of friends I have. And for my white friends...I dunno. Maybe I'll bring back wangsta or something

If another person tells me "You're the whitest black person I know" I'm gonna fight someone. And it's never even from other black people! I've never had that said to me by any of my black friends.

I tried explaining why this annoyed me to an asian friend and she didn't understand. Although she's always bringing up how she works as an assistant in a hospital and old people are always surprised by her being able to speak english. I'm gonna start telling her "Wow, you're english is so good!" all the time and see how she feels.

I've got to find one of these for all the other races of friends I have. And for my white friends...I dunno. Maybe I'll bring back wangsta or something

"You're the least WASPy guy/girl I know!" or "you're the most post-racial person I know!"

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing

I get this a lot from industry peeps - "you don't act black". Then i ask them how a black guy should act...in the basest Nigerian accent ever. That usually flusters them enough to step off the convo. The ones that do push on about it though, i usually tell them that i don't act "black" because there aren't enough black peeps around to be myself around.

That one usually ends the convo for good.

Sidenote: It is almost always female devs that pull me up on that.

Slayven

I get this a lot from industry peeps - "you don't act black". Then i ask them how a black guy should act...in the basest Nigerian accent ever. That usually flusters them enough to step off the convo. The ones that do push on about it though, i usually tell them that i don't act "black" because there aren't enough black peeps around to be myself around.

Mandingo fantasies.

How to act black (According to racist people)
-Ebonics (Which is weird considering the west coast...but I digress)
-Did you just use "digress"?...niggas don't use big words!
-Pants should be at least 32x50, the baggier the blacker you are
-Your shoe closet should consist of timberlands and airforce ones, maybe some Jordans.
-Make sure that car has some 24s on it, the shinier the better
-Make sure your trunk rattles, not from bass, but from loose screws
-What's your favorite genre of music? Rhetorical you obviously only like rap.
-Got kids? Again rhetorical, the real question is how many? And how much child support do you actually send them?
-What school did you go to? And by school I mean high school, black people don't got o college (No, for real I've gotten this one before)
-I'd invite you to the beach but I know black people can't swim, something about bone density.
-Did you use "rhetorical" twice?! I'm surprised you read books without pictures

#ShitI'veHeardPeopleSayAboutBlackPeopleWhileAtTheSameTimeSayingTheyAren'tRacist

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
-Your shoe closet should consist of timberlands and airforce ones, maybe some Jordans.
-Got kids? Again rhetorical, the real question is how many? And how much child support do you actually send them?
-What school did you go to? And by school I mean high school, black people don't got o college (No, for real I've gotten this one before)
-I'd invite you to the beach but I know black people can't swim, something about bone density.

I've received all of the bolded. Honorable mention goes to "how long have you played basketball??" (Assuming I've played my entire life when in fact, I can't play to save my life)

Trey

"Don't rape" is a simple solution for a complex problem. Many rapists don't consider themselves so and yet they are rapists. A lot of people were victims of rape but don't even know it, or shrug it off. There is no blame to be levied toward the victim, but the discussion includes both sexes and their place in this problem.

tumblr_m3bpydbjvc1qlar22o1_1280.jpg

"Where's the weed. Where's the weed."

"You're grounded forever!"

In my mind, the mom is the Apple Care lady lol

oh man, she was so calm and then she went HAM

all we ask you is this one thing... YOU LITTLE FUCKING PUNK!!!

real talk, i cringed at "i know" because when i was a kid, there would be blood drawn for that remark.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing

#DEAD

oh man, she was so calm and then she went HAM

all we ask you is this one thing... YOU LITTLE FUCKING PUNK!!!

real talk, i cringed at "i know" because when i was a kid, there would be blood drawn for that remark.

I also cringed, then I had a flashback of all my beatings *shudders* no way I wouldve even tried that

I don't fit in either of these categories.

I am intelligent
I can read and write.
I can speak perfect english ( learning other languages too although ebonics isn't so bad to learn)
I am in college pursuing an engineering degree
I can swim. I don't get sunburned
My car is plain
I like all types of music (even some country). Yes I like many pop hits and EDM
No illegitimate children, don't even have a partner yet.
I like Nike shoes though, but never paid for super expensive ones.

harSon

Banned
Just had a dude show up to an interview in a wife beater and sweat shorts. I almost flipped when I saw that. Wish I could have just refused to interview and saved both of our times.

To the people who get called the" whitest black dude i know" all you gotta do is get in an intimate relationship with their white freind/relative and see how their fam reacts now

:p

DY_nasty

Just had a dude show up to an interview in a wife beater and sweat shorts. I almost flipped when I saw that. Wish I could have just refused to interview and saved both of our times.
What stopped you? I've pulled the plug for less.

harSon

Banned
What stopped you? I've pulled the plug for less.

I wasn't the only interviewer unfortunately. My co-interviewer is my boss, and since he didn't say anything, I felt I'd be overstepping my bounds by making the call myself :/ No clue why he didn't just cut it off though. First impression wasn't pretty, and the interview itself was just as bad. Dude was leaned back in the chair like he was rewinding at home after a long day of work.

Slayven

And when he don't get the job "Drake motherfucker was jealous."

DY_nasty

I wasn't the only interviewer unfortunately. My co-interviewer is my boss, and since he didn't say anything, I felt I'd be overstepping my bounds by making the call myself :/ No clue why he didn't just cut it off though. First impression wasn't pretty, and the interview itself was just as bad. Dude was leaned back in the chair like he was rewinding at home after a long day of work.
I hear you.

I ended an interview after this woman told us to Google her when it was clear that she didn't have her paperwork together. Couldn't give us straight answers regarding work history. I turned it into an episode of Making The Band after that.

Reminds me of a group interview I had for a teaching position overseas. I and these other two people showed up in suits and a nice dress, and number four came in some dockers and a flannel shirt, asking for markers so he could finish his lesson plan.

White kids know no fear.

"Kick me out then. Do it."

If I said that to my mum, I would be under the 5 th street bridge 10 minutes later.

My dad would have put me on a greyhound and told the driver "take him far away enough that he can't walk back in less than a week."

And when I got back I would have owed him the money he had to spend on bus fare.

"He fancied himself an Aubrey but he was a Kyle 'cept he ain't keep it real. He was just jealous that he was all uncomfortable in his button up whatever the fuck and I was lamping in my pyrex shorts and Nike sandals with socks. Typical kick the ladder down once I'm out the bucket type crab traitor motherfucka."

I agree. In stead of calling it "faddism" they should call it for hygiene. I would still not want kids in my school with dreads. Correct me if I am wrong, and I could very well be, but I grew up with the understanding that dreads are prone to lice. Lice is always an issue in schools.

One of you clowning on an alt, or what?

If yesterday's cornrow thread is any indication, those four church elders aren't alone

That is some next level crab mentality shit-like reaching back down into the bucket to snap off baby crab's legs.

Slayven

My dad would have put me on a greyhound and told the driver "take him far away enough that he can't walk back in less than a week."

And when I got back I would have owed him the money he had to spend on bus fare.

I sue to tell my mom i was going to call child welfare on her. She would hand me the phone and say " I will pack your shit up."

Top Bottom