• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

royalan

Ugh, I need some advice, Black-GAF. :(

So, I went to the barbershop to get my haircut today. I go to the same place on South Street (in Philly). And I always get the same haircut - just fade the sides, leave the top (my avatar for what my hair looks like). And usually my cut is 20 bucks, and I tip 10. So all in all I usually spend exactly $30 when I go in.

Except for today.

It was packed when I got there, and I usually don't mind who cuts my hair at this place, so as soon as someone's chair opened up I sat down. It was someone who had never cut my hair before, and who I think was new.

Anyway, so he cuts my hair. Same cut as usual. When he finishes, I reach for my wallet to pull out the $30 I have, only he tells me that the cut is $25 (well, actually, "I usually charge 30 but since this is your first time I'll give you a discount).

Oh, and that I owe the shampoo girl $5. The shampoo is advertised as free, btw, and I always assumed that the barber and the shampoo girl split the tip I gave the barber. So that ends up being exactly what I brought with me to pay for the cut AND tip, so I hand over the money and tell him that I have to go to the ATM at the end of the block. This is extremely embarrassing because the place is packed. So I go and come back with 20 more, and I ask for $10 back.

"...that's it?"

At this point, I just don't know what to do. It so crowded and everyone's just laughing and joking around so I didn't want to be the guy who breaks the mood by complaining about something, but at this point I'm feeling incredibly jipped. So I asked for just 5 back and bolt. I just parted with $45 for what I feel a very basic haircut.

I'm surprised by how upset I am right now. This was over an hour ago. I kinda want to say something on my next visit, but I dunno...black barbershops are a different beast. I feel like if I go in there complaining every barber on staff will turn against me. And my mom always told me never piss of the person doing your hair.

I dunno...should I say something? Or just find another place to go?

akira28

hrm. that does pretty much hit the sweet spot. I was thinking I would snap up a refurb or buy a clone from a different name, but I do recognize hisense as a name, just not one for tablets. I may have to go in.

black barbershop, just never sit in his chair again. you wait for the people you know.
getting pissy over a 10 dollar tip, I would have shown him my face.

I made up with my regular barber after I broke off my trips for the first time in a decade, felt like a Slay-level simp. Nobody did me like she did. /drake

royalan

What if I don't have a regular guy? How do I set that up?

Confession: I live in Philly now. But I'm from California. And both my mother and father are hair stylists.

Basically, until I walked into this place about 6 months ago, I'd never paid for a haircut.

Part of the reason I just sit in anybody's chair...:/

you got jacked. wait for your regular barber the next time.

you lost immediately when he said $25 and you didn't say "it's $20, i'm in here all the time"

Funny thing is I felt this RIGHT after that part of the exchange...

J10

Banned
When's the last time you had an ice cream sandwich? I just had one for the first time in at least a decade and my life is better for it.

You got used. He didnt know you so he used the promo code.

You are a regular and those rules dont apply to you. Next time tell him what it is.

Not like you have to get your cut there.

Onemic

10 bucks tip for a 20 dollar cut? Damn man, you must be one of the most generous tippers out there.

And you should have told him it's always been 20. I just wouldnt sit in that dues chair again, because he just straight up shafted you.

royalan

10 bucks tip for a 20 dollar cut? Damn man, you must be one the most generous tippers out there.

I work in food service, and my parents both do hair. Tipping is in my blood.

...but that was also why I was stunned that he acted like I didn't tip enough. I KNOW $10 on a $20 dollar cut is more than fair..

I feel like next time I should be more forceful, but I don't wanna piss anyone off either.

Onemic

I work in food service, and my parents both do hair. Tipping is in my blood.

...but that was also why I was stunned that he acted like I didn't tip enough. I KNOW $10 on a $20 dollar cut is more than fair..

I feel like next time I should be more forceful, but I don't wanna piss anyone off either.

dude asking for a 15 dollar tip is straight up ridiculous. 10 dollars for tip is already amazing for the person cutting the hair considering that it's essentially 50%. Id give that side eye, ask for my 10 bucks, and probably never go back to that barbershop again.

$5 tip. And I can wash my own hair, so fuck that shampoo girl shit. Definitely get a regular dude. Guys in shops will often charge different amounts and it makes no sense and you won't know until you get out of the chair at a lot of places.

BTW, dude was fleecing you. Knew you had money and knew you probably felt embarrassed about having to go to the ATM. Take that L and ignore that barber from now on.

Just went to 7-11, saw an ad on the window that said they were selling pizza now. Went inside...and it was that same heatlamped pizza like a school cafeteria serves.

don'tknowwhatiwasexpecting.gif

Just went to 7-11, saw an ad on the window that said they were selling pizza now. Went inside...and it was that same heatlamped pizza like a school cafeteria serves.

don'tknowwhatiwasexpecting.gif

Pls tell me them mothafuckas were square shaped, too

pizza.jpg

What if I don't have a regular guy? How do I set that up?

Funny thing is I felt this RIGHT after that part of the exchange...

dude asking for a 15 dollar tip is straight up ridiculous. 10 dollars for tip is already amazing for the person cutting the hair considering that it's essentially 50%. Id give that side eye, ask for my 10 bucks, and probably never go back to that barbershop again.

Basically this.

I would find another shop. Fuck em. They got you once. Thats more than enough. They dont need your patronage. And I agree with tipping. Getting fit down here cost 10. I pay 20. Because I know I want this cat making me look presentable. So I can relate. But also because I have a friendship with my barber. When you find that good one you stick with it. How do you know you got a good barber? I got my barber on speed-dial. If I need a cut he tells me when he is in. Its gotten to the point that I can walk out without looking at a mirror cause I trust him. That aint in every day thing BTW. It takes time. Look at other shops. You never know. Also ask folk. Some people might know a spot out of the way you can look into.

Ratchet mess thread. Yay or nay?

No, god no. 1/3 of GAF already has fucked up views of black people, let's not give them their "proof" that furthers their beliefs please.

Lord knows every subsequent thread involving race (basically black people) will have like 10 people linking back to said thread you created.

I don't think I can handle that.

cdyhybrid

Thread would be a graveyard. It would be like watching a car crash happen on train tracks underneath the burning and crashing Hindenburg.

When I used to hit the barber it was the $5 Golden Rule and that pretty much worked. Now I cut my own hair so not a thing I have to worry about at all.

Finding a chair is hard work. The best you can do is ask around and you'll find an answer. I was lucky to have a couple of great barbers due to word of mouth and just giving this one dude a chance.

I wouldn't go back to that place at all or at a minimum sit in dude's chair ever again. Sorry that happened to you.

And a RatchetMess thread, do that shit. I wouldn't dare post in the bitch but I'd watch shit go down though.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
when i read "get the number from beth" i was like nonononononononononononononono
Thats probably my only real regret from this whole thing. I stayed above and ahead of most of what all went down but I never saw Beth stabbing me in the back like that - and especially never over another woman after everything that happened.

I didn't ever try to get even with Beth for it though. Karma took care of that.

BHZ Mayor

No, god no. 1/3 of GAF already has fucked up views of black people, let's not give them their "proof" that furthers their beliefs please.

Lord knows every subsequent thread involving race (basically black people) will have like 10 people linking back to said thread you created.

I don't think I can handle that.
I think you're being generous with 1/3. Also, all this will happen while selectively ignoring the various white posts.

"Do you see any white people doing stuff like this?" - Actual Post in an Actual Thread (about that mall security video)

And don't forget everyone's favorite. "Is black culture becoming a cancer of sorts?" I'll never get over the absurdity of that post. How those words could be typed and go unpunished on a forum that touts itself as being progressive.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Just a third?

You gotta factor in how much inspiration that will lead to. You already have people literally saying that Slayven fucks it up fir the rest of us - and he can read. You make an essentially black-focused peopleofwal-mart thread here and there wont be enough Obama beers in the world to chill people the fuck out.

Slayven

Just a third?

You gotta factor in how much inspiration that will lead to. You already have people literally saying that Slayven fucks it up fir the rest of us - and he can read. You make an essentially black-focused peopleofwal-mart thread here and there wont be enough Obama beers in the world to chill people the fuck out.

I have said "nope" to a lot of stuff. I am not Ripclaw.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
I think you're being generous with 1/3. Also, all this will happen while selectively ignoring the various white posts.

"Do you see any white people doing stuff like this?" - Actual Post in an Actual Thread (about that mall security video)

And don't forget everyone's favorite. "Is black culture becoming a cancer of sorts?" I'll never get over the absurdity of that post. How those words could be typed and go unpunished on a forum that touts itself as being progressive.

I am often taken aback by some of the stuff people say on GAF, especially when it comes to racial issues. And even more so when they double down on their ignorance, fully believing that they are right, and "entitled to their opinion"

Some do it for the shock value. Most just believe their own BS.

So my sister and I decided to throw my parents a lil B-day bash today since they both turn 60 this year. Only problem is I can't make the trip back home because my doc doesn't want me traveling since he don't know how I'll react to the Plavix medication he got me own. I'm 34 years old, in relatively good shape and I'm sitting in here in Raleigh looking at Diabetic, Blood pressure, and heart meds....Thanks genetics!!!!

Close rant.

Top Bottom